Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/27/2004 4:09:22 AM EDT
i will be getting my license next week and am starting to shop around a little. im looking to pick up a few pieces that could be potential market movers. any suggestions/reccomendations are appreciated.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 4:22:42 AM EDT
[#1]
M48's
turk mausers
CZ-50, 52
Enfields
1903's
k98's
k31
sks

lock up that checkbook/credit cards now!!!!  
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 4:28:34 AM EDT
[#2]
A couple of my favorites...

M-39 mosin nagant
No 4 mk1  Enfield

Link Posted: 8/27/2004 4:31:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Get a #4 Enfield while you can. Nagants are a must  because of the "bang for the buck" factor. And the Swiss K31 may be the best C&R rifle available right now.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 4:48:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 4:48:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 4:53:48 AM EDT
[#6]
M1 Garands
M1 Carbines
M1903
M1903A3
M1917
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 5:07:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Here is a really crappy pic of my most accurate rifle:

Best $89 I ever spent in my life.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 5:15:29 AM EDT
[#8]
If you can find a Madsen Model 47, BUY IT!
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 5:24:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 5:30:27 AM EDT
[#10]
I have a couple K31s, and haven't shot them yet, but shot someone else's a couple years ago.  Yeah, they kick like a mule.  

My shooting went like this:

BAM OUCH!  ch-schk  BAM  OUCH! ch-schk  BAM  OUCH! ch-schk  BAM  OUCH! ch-schk  BAM  OUCH!

But they're supposed to be crazy accurate....  get one and pull the bolt out.  Check out the machining on the bolt, and check out the bore.  ABSOFUCKINGLUTELY flawless.  I have one that was made in 1937, and aside from beat up wood, and fading bluing, the mechanical parts and barrel still look NEW.  

I'm gonna try to get a few more... Hopefully one day these will go up in value.  They're just pure bang for the buck right now.  

The Mosins are great STURDY rifles, and ammo is dirt cheap for them.  I need to get a 91/30, but already have an M1938 and M44.  They're simple machines, but they are built like tanks.  

Link Posted: 8/27/2004 5:30:51 AM EDT
[#11]

I agree with Red_5 and BayEagle. Get a
K31. What an absolutely awesome rifle.
Ammo is a bit of a problem (7.5 swiss),
but if you reload, you can get around that.

Most accurate rifle that I own (moreso
than my ARs).
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 5:40:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I think AIM surplus still has Swiss surplus ball... I bought a case and it is great ammo. haven't started reloading 7.5 Swiss yet because this is good stuff.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 5:47:56 AM EDT
[#13]
Get a East German Makarov.  Great for ccw too.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 5:48:37 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think AIM surplus still has Swiss surplus ball... I bought a case and it is great ammo. haven't started reloading 7.5 Swiss yet because this is good stuff.

They do. GP-11 is great stuff, but expensive.
I was talking about the expense, not the
availability of the ammo. 60 rds for $40 is
a little steep in my book.

However, I really can't shoot more than 10
rds in a sitting if I want to use my shoulder
the next day.

Link Posted: 8/27/2004 5:54:52 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

However, I really can't shoot more than 10
rds in a sitting if I want to use my shoulder
the next day.

Yup. That case of ammo is lasting a VERY long time for me.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 6:07:07 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Here is a really crappy pic of my most accurate rifle:

img.photobucket.com/albums/v379/bayeagle/ARF/K31.jpg

Best $89 I ever spent in my life.

Does that weapon kick like a mule?

Personally, I think it's less than say, a 8mm Mauser or a MN.  Maybe a little less than a Garand. More than my Krag and Arisaka. I dunno, if you get a good weld, I have no problem with shooting 40-50 rounds w/o discomfort.  And I have skinny shoulders.

It's very manageable and the straight-pull is lightning fast.  Supposedly the only bolt faster is the Lee Enfield.  The cardboard chargers make reloads very fast as well.  The GP-11 is perfectly matched to the weapon.  I use reloads with a .308 soft point on necked down brass for a hunting load.

As you can see in my pic I have a Darrel Scout Mount setup.  It's a very well made mount, but I've actually had more luck with groups over the iron sights.  I put the scope on for hunting season last year, but I'm removing it this year.

AND - I got an owner tag under my buttplate - very cool:

Link Posted: 8/27/2004 6:09:44 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 6:14:38 AM EDT
[#18]
for the K31, I think its 284 Winchester cases that can be formed to 7.5x55, and it uses a standard .380 bullet, so finding lead to sling is easy.    The GP-11 ammo is great and is pretty much match quality ammo, but it is berdan primed.  I'd probably reload it once I get some, but finding berdan primers is difficult.  (Decapping berdan isn't too hard)

I've read it said, and agree with it.  Get a K31, and check out the worksmanship on it.  Such crafting in a modern rifle would end up with a rifle that easily costs $2000.  

BayEagle, who carries that scope mount?  I'm thinking about getting one for one of my rifles and using it as a hunting/hog rifle...  And what scope is a good one for a scout mount like that?
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 6:31:58 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
BayEagle, who carries that scope mount?  I'm thinking about getting one for one of my rifles and using it as a hunting/hog rifle...  And what scope is a good one for a scout mount like that?

Check here for the scout mount.  For a scope, I use a cheap NcStar Pistol scope on my Moisin scout rifle... I've got a fixed 4x, but they also make a 2x and a variable 2x-7x (I think).  It's held up well for me.  CDNN usually has them.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 6:32:14 AM EDT
[#20]
Darrell's Scout Mount Page on Paralax's C&R Boards.

They have some scope recommendations in the threads there.  I went with the illuminated reticle - long eye relief NCStar 2.5x30.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 6:41:39 AM EDT
[#21]
so who has nice k31's and how much should i expect to pay......
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 6:45:45 AM EDT
[#22]
+1 on the K31

That was my first C&R rifle and WELL worth it. I've found the GP-11 ammo at 60 rnds for $24, so it's not that bad. Not as good as 7.62, but not nearly as expensive as your standard hunting rounds.  There's also some hunting loads available online if you can't reload for about $20 for 20rds. I can't find the link right now though.

Anyway, the first time I went shooting with my K31 I was using GP-11 and shot 4in groups at 100yds on open sights. Prett damn good if you ask me! I'm sure I could do better with more practice ont he rifle though. I just haven't had time to get it out again

Hopefully soon I can take it shooting though.

ETA: The K31 has an awsome factory 2-stage trigger as well. Very crisp stop on the 2nd stage and no creep, but just light pressure to get the pin to fire. When I took the gun apart I thought the engineering in the trigger design was just ingenious too. Definitely old school true Swiss quality workmanship.

Gratouitous K31 pic:

Link Posted: 8/27/2004 6:48:39 AM EDT
[#23]
All of them...Err...I mean...Get bolth??
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 3:04:26 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Swiss_1931_Carbin_Scmidt_Rubin_K31_7_5Swiss_Cal_.html

Note that the stocks for some reason tend to be ratty looking.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 3:43:47 PM EDT
[#25]
thanks, would you reccomend the walnut stock and handpick? thats the cheapest ive seen so far...
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 3:44:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Well how about some of these..... ENJOY, and I hope I FEED THE FIRE....

Yugo, SKS both of them,

Swiss K-31,

Russian M-38,

Russian MN 91/30

Russian Capture, German Mauser 1943 BYF, all markings intact...

Link Posted: 8/27/2004 3:49:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 3:56:46 PM EDT
[#28]
You can get reloadable brass for the 7.5x55 through Graf's or Midway. I have a bunch of Portugese FNM that I use for reloading. Try finding a Mosin Mod. 91. Don't seem to be many around anymore. 91/30's are all over the place as are the Mod.39's. Mosins are good shootable rifles and the parts aren't hard to find. And of course ammo is dirt cheap, but corrosive. Not that corrosive ammo is a problem. Hot soapy water will work for cleaning after shooting. Finish off with ballistol in the bore and you're set. Smellies are nice too. Only don't get any of that Pak ammo unless you like click-bangs.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 4:55:53 PM EDT
[#29]
You could try the Reising submachine gun.  That’s a nice little shooter if you want to get into Class III.
There is also the S&W 76, too.

Both are Nice little shooters.

Oh, wait….You live in Commiefornia.

Never mind.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 5:39:13 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
thanks, would you reccomend the walnut stock and handpick? thats the cheapest ive seen so far...

I typically ask for hand pick from AIM and then ask myself why I did when I get the rifle.  I of course don’t see what they’ve selected from, but it seems to me that you really don’t get much for the hand pick fee.  Still, for $10, why not?

I’m a little more iffy about the walnut.  Ordinarily I would say yes (otherwise IIRC the wood will be beech).  The problem is that the walnut stocks are on the older K-31’s.  Thus by specifying walnut, my guess is that you’re more likely to get one that’s a bit worn.  Note that while K-31’s tend to have been very well kept, you will definitely find some with worn bluing.

Thus I’d personally be inclined to forgo the walnut option.

Unless you know you can find it locally, I suggest you get some ammo at the same time.  As others have mentioned, ammo is a bit of a problem with this rifle.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 5:43:14 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Swiss_1931_Carbin_Scmidt_Rubin_K31_7_5Swiss_Cal_.html

Note that the stocks for some reason tend to be ratty looking.

Most buttstock damage theories revolve around standing in formation with:

Cobblestone streets
hobnail boots
snow
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 5:45:09 PM EDT
[#32]
I lucked out and found a nice walnut stocked K31 at a gunshow...  paid a bit more than I would have through AIM, but got a nice rifle, a couple chargers and 20 rounds of GP11.  The stock has excellent figure... I need to steam out the dents and clean it up... she'll be a beaut.  I'm leaving that one the way it is.  I got a beech stocked one from AIM that looked like a turd.  Sanded it down and refinished it, and it's a blonde beauty now.  I think I'll put a scout mount on it and see how it performs.  
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 6:04:42 PM EDT
[#33]
What Matthew_Q said plus a pic of my 2 beauties:

I have the blonde (beech), and the brunette (walnut) and missed the redhead by a week (cherry).  I tried to get it last weekend, but it had sold.  

The first 3 shots from the beech one went into an oval shaped hole that was a figure 8 moments before. (50yds. during sight in).  My group opened up a bit at 100 yds. but I was admitedly a bit rattled by then.   As a side note, it took 3-4 months to recover from the damage it did to my shoulder and neck that day.  No kidding.   And yes, that was with a shooting pad.

The Norma hunting ammo is a bit steep, but the hog I shot didn't complain.    I'd like to take one of them out during deer season this year.  

-White Horse
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 6:43:41 PM EDT
[#34]
Get a K31 first. You can always find a Mosin Nagant  rifle because they made a butt load of them. The K31 is one of, if not the most accurate rifles, milsurp or not, out there. And has one of the best triggers ever made for a rifle.

I would check out Allan's Armory for one also. I've bought three from him and they were in better shape than his description. allans-armory.com/aaresult.asp?PageId=31

And for you pansies that say they kick like a mule, my GF shoots one in milsurp silhouette matches and will burn up 100 rounds of GP11 at one sitting during practice
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 8:36:38 PM EDT
[#35]
Geez, White_horse, those are two beautiful rifles...

My vote for Best C&R Value (this month) goes to the "Excellent +" Yugo M59/66s that both AIM surplus and Centerfire Systems are selling for $149.95 (and Centerfire even throws in free shipping!).

Milled metalwork, nice furniture, and a caliber that is cheap and fun to shoot...The "M-1 of the Communist Block Nations" – what more could you want?
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 8:58:55 PM EDT
[#36]
I'd get a K31 Swiss rifle.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top