Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/27/2004 12:43:19 AM EDT
We seem to be eyeball deep in gun-restrictions here.  I thought back to the GOA ratings of House Reps.
CA had 12 A-ratings and 31 F-ratings with small change in the middle.  MA had ALL Fs.  MA would seem to be the most hardcore left state in the Union, and I have to wonder if we have it worse.

Here's what we have in CA:

-Any semi w/pistol grip is an AW and banned
-10 day waiting period on ALL guns
-no new hi-caps
-handgun registration
-handgun safety license required for purchase of handguns
-handguns must be on approved list to be purchased
-must purchase a gun-lock with every new gun, or sign a gun-safe affidavit.

I know I'm missing something, but that's all I can think of.

How about you guys in MA?
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 12:52:03 AM EDT
[#1]
You forgot Jerzy and ILlinois.

I think Jerzy is worse.

SGtar15
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 12:56:04 AM EDT
[#2]
washington dc. but its techinally not a state.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 1:17:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Yeah but our governor gets a little headski from a Kennedy on demand...!

...!
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 1:20:10 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

...!

Link Posted: 8/27/2004 2:01:57 AM EDT
[#5]
the 10 day wait period seems like the tie breaker.  everything else, we suck too.  we can get our guns right away, so long as the fbi computer is working.  
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 2:21:18 AM EDT
[#6]
How about all of the above?
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 2:39:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 2:51:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Don't forget Maryland
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 2:55:00 AM EDT
[#9]
+1 for Maryland
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 3:04:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
We seem to be eyeball deep in gun-restrictions here.  I thought back to the GOA ratings of House Reps.
CA had 12 A-ratings and 31 F-ratings with small change in the middle.  MA had ALL Fs.  MA would seem to be the most hardcore left state in the Union, and I have to wonder if we have it worse.

Only "New" assualt waepons are banned,  (By fed definition) you can have high cap with a class A license
(not hard to get outside od citys.)

No wait.

-no new hi-caps

Must have class A LIC

-handgun registration

Full gun registration

Needed for the issue of the class A+B or FID card

Same here

Same.

We have the must have FID card for long guns (non semi or high cap) class A+B for
anything else, (don't need to get into the full breakdown of it.)
AT least I can get a class A and buy high caps.

Still sucks. Anything your democraps do out there is soon reflected in mass.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 3:22:47 AM EDT
[#11]
I agree with Arnie, the people in the legislature have too much time on their hands and they don't know what to do with it, so they harass and harague the gunners.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 3:27:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 3:32:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Well at least here in MA I can still buy a normal looking preban AR15.  We aren't quite as bad a CA yet but were getting there. They are adding guns to the list of approved for MA handguns quite often. I guess it's better than nothing. I still want to be able to buy a NEW Kimber 1911 45 though.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 3:33:06 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Wasn't it MA that had a bust recently for too much ammo?

Tj

It wasn't a bust. Some asshat gave all of his ammo and some guns (I think) to a preacher to get rid of them and the press made a big deal out of it. It was only like 1500 rounds.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 3:36:05 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Wasn't it MA that had a bust recently for too much ammo?

Tj

It wasn't a bust. Some asshat gave all of his ammo and some guns (I think) to a preacher to get rid of them and the press made a big deal out of it. It was only like 1500 rounds.

To most non-gun types I bet 1500 rounds seems like something only the military needs.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 3:57:17 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

...!

Here in MA, it's the other way round....
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 4:02:36 AM EDT
[#17]
Cali is the worst.
Most draconian laws, by far.
Easier on the CCW, though.

It's saddest of all, because Cali is arguably the most beautiful state in the country.
Were it not for the Gov, I'd move there.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 4:15:38 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

That's on the Federal level. On the state level in Massachusetts, it's much more problematic. There are many pro-gun Republicans, but there are also anti-gun, or weak pro-gun, Repubs, too. The Dems are antis as a rule, but there are quite a few Dem reps and senators in the legislature who are very pro-gun. Our rep is a Dem and consistently votes against every anti-gun measure. The Republican rep in the next town over finds ways to vote against gunowners when ever he can. This confusion in the legislature as well as the perseverance of the gun-rights group GOAL have kept firearm ownership legal here.

Loss of a traditional lifestyle through suburban sprawl, and the influx of outsiders from NY/NJ have made this state into a liberal sump. But, despite the restrictions, with permission, we can still carry guns concealed and buy black rifles, hi-cap mags, etc. You just have to find ways around it all, that are legal, to deal with it.

Or, turn in your guns.

mirror of Fed AWB in effect- effectively means only no bayonet lug.

No waiting period.

-no new hi-caps

Same, but there are lots around for sale. Any non-LEO mkd mag will be OK, realistically, once the Fed ban sunsets. How are they gonna know?

-handgun registration

No- all sales or transfers of guns, exc. antique types, are registered here, though.

Once you have got the MA LTC-A license (CCW/hi-caps), you can buy almost anything, if the AG here allows the pistol in...

Same, unless they were here in MA before 10/98.

Same on gun locks, not on safe storage BS. Safe storage is already in the law, i.e., guns must be in a locked case, safe or cabinet when not in use. If being transported, lg cap rifles/shotguns and pistols must have trigger locks on and be in a case. Non-hi cap long arms need only have a trigger lock on them.

I know I'm missing something, but that's all I can think of.

Ditto. maybe LenS can fill us in more on MA laws.

Link Posted: 8/27/2004 4:28:02 AM EDT
[#19]
Dont forget about wisconsin.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 4:29:31 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

...!

Here in MA, it's the other way round....

From what I heard in New Jersey it goes both ways.

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 8:49:00 AM EDT
[#21]
Wow, I'd have to put it at a tie.  It seems they've found different ways to make life hell.

You guys have no waiting period, but you have safe storage laws  etc. etc.

Could someone from MA elaborate on the License situation?  In CA we're still license-free mostly.  We have that handgun safety license which is essentially an excercise in humiliation along with a $25 "fee" (read: tax).  It is a 25 question or so test that is ridiculously easy and is only good for 5 years.  What gets everyones blood boiling is that hunter's safety certificate is NOT RECOGNIZED despite the fact that it is a MUCH more in-depth safety program.  This falls into the same category of handguns which must be "CA approved" which, at the core, is just another way for the state to collect fees and meddle in the process.

If anyone in NJ or IL wants to check in, please do so.  I'd like to hear what you have to put up with.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 8:53:02 AM EDT
[#22]
In NJ, you have to ask your local Police Chief for permission EVERYTIME you want to buy a pistol.
Even though you've applied for the permit, and gotten you FOID.
You STILL have to ask permission for each and every one.
Insulting.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 8:55:20 AM EDT
[#23]
Kalifornia sucks the most because of the tertiary crap.  Shitty people come from California.  Like Gloria Allred.  They have an ex governer who killed that college girl.  San Francisco.

it's a no brainer.  Just waiting on the big quake to drop that shithole off into the ocean.
Hell I could live witha 49 star flag
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top