Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/26/2004 5:01:45 PM EDT
Man shoots, kills self

at GB gun range

A 34-year-old man shot and killed himself Monday afternoon at a Glen Burnie shooting range, county police said.

Officers later found Todd Discenza of Edgewater had left a suicide note in his vehicle outside Select Fire, 115 Holsum Way. He shot himself with a .22-caliber handgun.

An off-duty General Services Police officer told county police he was shooting at the range just before 2:30 p.m. when he heard a "popping" and saw the man next to him collapse to the floor.

The off-duty officer and a doctor who was nearby performed CPR on Mr. Discenza, but could not revive him.

Police said employees at the range told them Mr. Discenza had never come in before, although he told them "this wasn't the first time for him shooting a gun".

2nd story LINKY
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 5:06:01 PM EDT
[#1]
"popping"  i think it would just be "pop"
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 5:25:28 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Actually I knew someone whose death was ruled a suicide from 3 rounds of 22 to the head. I was always suspicious, but didn't want to see if it was possible.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 5:27:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 5:31:40 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually I knew someone whose death was ruled a suicide from 3 rounds of 22 to the head. I was always suspicious, but didn't want to see if it was possible.

If you do, please post pics--it's an unwritten rule here.  

Actually I was fishin' for volunteers My compadres at the time wanted no part of it (budweiser or no budweiser).
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 5:32:34 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Man shoots, kills self

at GB gun range

A 34-year-old man shot and killed himself Monday afternoon at a Glen Burnie shooting range, county police said.

Officers later found Todd Discenza of Edgewater had left a suicide note in his vehicle outside Select Fire, 115 Holsum Way. He shot himself with a .22-caliber handgun.

An off-duty General Services Police officer told county police he was shooting at the range just before 2:30 p.m. when he heard a "popping" and saw the man next to him collapse to the floor.

The off-duty officer and a doctor who was nearby performed CPR on Mr. Discenza, but could not revive him.

Police said employees at the range told them Mr. Discenza had never come in before, although he told them "this wasn't the first time for him shooting a gun".

2nd story LINKY

AW CRAP ! WILL YOU PEOPLE JUST JUMP OFF A FRIGGIN' BUILDING, WILL YA ? LEAVE THE GUN RANGES OUT YOUR SORRYASS LIVES.SOONER OR LATER, SOME SENATOR WILL INTRODUCE A BILL TO CLOSE THESE RANGES DOWN SO THAT NOBODY COULD KILL THEMSELVES.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 5:34:21 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you do, please post pics--it's an unwritten rule here.  

I was waiting for some one to ask.

I have been to the range in the story and it isn't the greatest.   But if I remember the set up correctly there is a small video camera in each booth pointing at the shooter from above.

So even better if your the type there is actuall video footage.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 5:38:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Better than "suicide by cop" but a .22?  Dumb  
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 5:39:55 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I did work a murder suicide where the husband shot the wife 4 times and shot himself twice in the chest before he collapsed.  I would of been suspicious too, but it was in a crowded parking lot with more than 10 witnesses.  Oh, and it was a S&W 686 with magnums.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 5:41:55 PM EDT
[#9]
I would have rented the .44.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 5:44:39 PM EDT
[#10]

I would have rented the .44

Perhaps he was thinking about the guy who would have to clean up the mess.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 5:44:46 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I did work a murder suicide where the husband shot the wife 4 times and shot himself twice in the chest before he collapsed.  I would of been suspicious too, but it was in a crowded parking lot with more than 10 witnesses.  Oh, and it was a S&W 686 with magnums.

With the larger caliber I would have been suspicious too (not to mention in the chest). In the case I mentioned I had met the wife and she seemed mean to me. Guess that always made me suspect something. Sad deal all around for the living (like any suicide).

Link Posted: 8/26/2004 6:52:09 PM EDT
[#12]
What the hell?! I guess he thought he had to be at a shooting range to kill himself... What an idiot.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 6:53:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 6:56:32 PM EDT
[#14]
You don't do CPR on a guy that commits suicide.  Just think, you save him so he can drool in a wheel chair paralyzed for the rest of his life and realize that he could not even do that right.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 7:06:14 PM EDT
[#15]
I once had to help clean up a trailer a friend had bought very cheap. A man (a family friend) had shot himself in a locked bathroom with a .22 lr 4 times, the bathroom was covered in blood, and stuff was scattered everywhere, also the towel bar was tore off the wall. The police had said they thought it was from him pulling himself up after shooting himself, just to try again.

I'm thinking that if I shot myself once and didn't die, I would be screaming "OW, OW, OW" and dialing 911.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 7:08:48 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
You don't do CPR on a guy that commits suicide.  Just think, you save him so he can drool in a wheel chair paralyzed for the rest of his life and realize that he could not even do that right.

Our tax dollars would probally pay for all his surgery and care.  I would shoot him again
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 7:11:35 PM EDT
[#17]
CPR for a gunshot wound to the head?  WTF.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 7:15:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 7:17:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 7:18:46 PM EDT
[#20]
I took a seminar on Medicolegal death investigation and one of the slides feayrued a man who drove a kitchen knife into his skull or the young lady who used a electric carving knife to kill herself so shooting your self multiple times doesnt suprise me.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 7:36:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 7:42:43 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I took a seminar on Medicolegal death investigation and one of the slides feayrued a man who drove a kitchen knife into his skull or the young lady who used a electric carving knife to kill herself so shooting your self multiple times doesnt suprise me.

Anybody that lives in PHX, AZ will remember the guy that walked into "The Jewelry Box" (A big pawn shop) and asked to look at some Skill Saws. He then asked if he could plug it in to make sure the brush's were good (these are the pro-grade Skill circular saws, you can replace the brushes). They led him to a power box in the tool section set up just for this. He plugged in the saw, pulled back the guard, and buried it in his neck.

It takes a serious desire to die to look at a spinning saw blade and then shove it in your neck.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 7:46:55 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Anybody that lives in PHX, AZ will remember the guy that walked into "The Jewelry Box" (A big pawn shop) and asked to look at some Skill Saws. He then asked if he could plug it in to make sure the brush's were good (these are the pro-grade Skill circular saws, you can replace the brushes). They led him to a power box in the tool section set up just for this. He plugged in the saw, pulled back the guard, and buried it in his neck.

It takes a serious desire to die to look at a spinning saw blade and then shove it in your neck.

or the guy that laid his neck on the railroad tracks light up a ciggarate and waiting for the train to come by.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 8:02:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Many years ago I saw some photos of a guy who committed suicide by climbing up on a band saw table and literally cutting himself in half.

Some people are just crazy.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 8:18:16 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

or the guy that laid his neck on the railroad tracks light up a ciggarate and waiting for the train to come by.

Don't remember either of those.

How about the guy that dove headfirst into the industrial size tree chipper the Asplundh tree service guys were using?
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 8:27:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Don't think its the greatest thing to poke fun at some one taking their life. Sorry just don't find it funny.

Sad that some of you do. Hopefully one day you'll take your own life for us to laugh at.

By the way I have known people who have taken their lifes, It's not just crazy people, many are people just like your friends.

For all we know this man could have lost his family or something else, apparently he felt bad enough he felt life wasnt worth living anymore.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top