Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/26/2004 9:56:39 AM EDT
A friend mentioned that the ATF is supporting the sunset, claiming that the law hasn't been effective and they have prosecuted virtually no cases under it.

He said that he heard about it on AR15.com and someone actually posted a letter/link/etc. supporting this.

Can anyone help me out and verify the ATF's position on this?

TIA,

Corey

PS  If there's an actual letter on ATF letterhead, I'd love to see it.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 10:02:46 AM EDT
[#1]
The ATF's position is moot.

They enforce laws, they don't make or repeal them.  When the AWB goes away they will be able to devote more resources to higher priorities, like tracking down Snuffy Smith's still.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 10:14:52 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

They enforce laws, they don't make or repeal them.  When the AWB goes away they will be able to devote more resources to higher priorities, like tracking down Snuffy Smith's still.

Perhaps someone should tell them that.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 10:18:51 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
A friend mentioned that the ATF is supporting the sunset, claiming that the law hasn't been effective and they have prosecuted virtually no cases under it.

He said that he heard about it on AR15.com and someone actually posted a letter/link/etc. supporting this.

Can anyone help me out and verify the ATF's position on this?

TIA,

Corey

PS  If there's an actual letter on ATF letterhead, I'd love to see it.

But all of the troll accounts keep saying they plan to enforce a law that doesn't exist anyway for weapons made between 1994 and 2004! Or that they will do some other stupid crap! What you said cannot be true!
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 10:20:14 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I didn't ask if anyone gave a rats ass what their position was.  
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 10:21:55 AM EDT
[#5]
I believe he is thinking of the U of Pennsylvania report that came out recenty (July 2004 pub. date) that stated it had no real effect on crime, as criminals mearly substituted other semiautos.

Here's a link to the document itself:
Document in question

Kharn
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 10:23:43 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I didn't ask if anyone gave a rats ass what their position was.  

But he's right.....NOBODY should care in the least what the ATF's position here is. Not even you.

Edit: but I'll have to say you have a classy sigline there.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 10:44:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Once the law is sunset the ATF will not be able to enforce it.

Therefore the ATFs position on it will have to be that its not there, because , well.... it's not there.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 10:44:47 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
But he's right.....NOBODY should care in the least what the ATF's position here is. Not even you.

I'd didn't ask if you had sex with a dead person.

Now will someone answer the friggin question?
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 10:51:56 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I actually remember hearing that here too but can't even come close to remembering from whom or what a link may be.  I do know it's true though, heard it on the net and such....
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 10:55:28 AM EDT
[#10]
what the  hell are assault pistols?
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 10:55:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 10:56:35 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'd didn't ask if you had sex with a dead person.

"You should"
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 10:56:38 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
A friend mentioned that the ATF is supporting the sunset

I hope your friend is right.  I know a lot of people who have been waiting over 70 years for the Bureau of ALCOHOL, tobacco and firarms to support the 21st Ammendment...........and they are getting THIRSTY!!  I think they are being a little paranoid but as they say........... "Better safe than sorry".
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 11:00:52 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
A friend mentioned that the ATF is supporting the sunset

I hope your friend is right.  I know a lot of people who have been waiting over 70 years for the Bureau of ALCOHOL, tobacco and firarms to support the 21st Ammendment...........and they are getting THIRSTY!!  I think they are being a little paranoid but as they say........... "Better safe than sorry".

Yes, but at what exact day and time did the 21st take effect? Was it different for different time zones?

As of 13 September, there will be no law for the BATFE to enforce. None.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 11:31:04 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Yes, but at what exact day and time did the 21st take effect? Was it different for different time zones?

Considering that the 18th ammendment was in effect during 4 leap years (1920, 24, 28, 31) that includes all years evenly divisible by 4, with the exception of centurial years that are not evenly divisible by 400 AND a National League team won the World Series in both the year of ratification and repeal......................It was safe to convert your near beer at 10:53:42 on December 5, 1933 except in Utah where it won't take effect until the year 2058.  
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 12:11:14 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Considering that the 18th ammendment was in effect during 4 leap years (1920, 24, 28, 31) that includes all years evenly divisible by 4, with the exception of centurial years that are not evenly divisible by 400 AND a National League team won the World Series in both the year of ratification and repeal......................It was safe to convert your near beer at 10:53:42 on December 5, 1933 except in Utah where it won't take effect until the year 2058.  

10:53:42 AM or PM? Which time zone? And here I thought you really knew what you were talking about. Poser.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 12:16:44 PM EDT
[#17]
There are first hand account given by FFL's here that during "FFL training" or conferences, ATF Agents have  said all is well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top