Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/26/2004 9:33:21 AM EDT
More responsible and accurate "journalism"....

"Firepower goes to higher power: Retiring gun trader turns ammo cache over to preacher

A Dorchester man desperate to get out of the gun trade dropped a stash of 1,500 rounds of high-powered ammunition on the highest profile community leader he could think of: the Rev. Eugene Rivers.
Rivers, floored by the amount of firepower, including a 66-round Tommy gun cylinder, arranged to turn over the arsenal to Boston police today.
`This is bad. It got turned in to a preacher,'' Rivers, president of the Ella J. Baker House in Dorchester, said last night. ``This Tommy gun thing is mind-boggling. What else is out there?''
According to the 28-year-old man whose name Rivers did not reveal, tons more ammunition and firearms are circulating on the streets of Boston where Rivers contends the illegal gun trade has become a growth industry.
``He said he wanted help. He wanted to get out, that he was jammed up,'' Rivers said.
So Rivers offered to hear him out. Forty-five minutes later, he came into possession of more weaponry than the minister ever wanted to see.
``The fact that young men are willing to surrender this kind of ammunition is clear evidence that significant numbers of young people want to do the right thing and live law-abiding lives,'' Rivers said. ``The surrender of this ammunition is a clear cry for help.
``Kids need to see there are better ways to entrepreneurship than guns.''
The bullet cache surfaces as Boston police have recruited help from federal and state agencies to help rein in a wave of violence that has pushed the city's body count to 45 so far this year. Boston had 28 murders by this time last year and 40 for all of 2003.
``We have challenged the black community to step up. Mayor Menino and Commissioner O'Toole have stepped up,'' Rivers said. ``Now it is time for the business leadership and the larger philanthropic community to join this battle to save poor children's lives.''
But local Nation of Islam leader Minister Don Muhammad disagreed with the notion that guns may be supplanting drugs as the underworld trade du jour.
``Drugs and guns are like peanut butter and jelly,'' he said. ``Without drugs, you don't need the guns. It's the drug business that is fueling the violence and the need for guns in the community. When you have a loss of jobs and poor-paying jobs, you're going to have a rise in drugs.''

news.bostonherald.com/localRegional/view.bg?articleid=41456
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 9:35:25 AM EDT
[#1]

Drugs and guns are like peanut butter and jelly

I wish I had a nickel for every time I've said that.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 9:36:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Why can't this stuff ever happen to me?  
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 9:37:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Big deal, that's only two cans worth of ammo.  I take more to that range on a good day.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 9:37:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Since when does 1500 pounds of ammunition become an arsenal?  Add 1 more to the list of stressful shit.  So-called journalism.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 9:37:48 AM EDT
[#5]
What is a "Tommy Gun Cylinder."  

Idiots.  
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 9:40:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Read it and laugh.  That's what I do.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 9:43:41 AM EDT
[#7]
That looks like some HIGH POWERED AMMO right there where can you get that shit???
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 9:46:01 AM EDT
[#8]
I just want you all to know that if any of you wish to get out of the 'gun trade,'  I'll be more than happy to take your weapons and ammunition.

Link Posted: 8/26/2004 9:46:04 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
More responsible and accurate "journalism"....

A Dorchester man desperate to get out of the gun trade dropped a stash of 1,500 rounds of high-powered ammunition on the highest profile community leader he could think of: the Rev. Eugene Rivers.

Lightweight.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 9:47:06 AM EDT
[#10]
betcha Rev. Eugene Rivers bought the stash himself to create a little publicy for the Ella J. Baker House.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 9:48:27 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Since when does 1500 pounds of ammunition become an arsenal?  Add 1 more to the list of stressful shit.  So-called journalism.

I dunno, 0.75 tons sounds like a lot to me.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 9:48:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 9:53:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Everybody knows Thompsons are making a come back with the gangsters. Turning in that "cylinder" probably saved 66 babys' lives.

Anyway, when the hell did arsenal equate to ammo? I could have swore the dictionary defined it as a very large amount of weapons...
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 9:56:55 AM EDT
[#14]
So that's what the compartment in my A2 buttstock is for!  DRUGS!
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 9:57:32 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I beg to differ.

1,000 rounds .223 (55gr) = 28lbs/1,500lbs = 53,000+ rounds

1,000 rounds 7.62x39(154gr) = 42lbs/1,500lbs = 35,000+ rounds

May be not an arsenal by the standards here, but not a trivial little stash either.

Link Posted: 8/26/2004 10:00:33 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

He [Minister Don Muhammad]  said "Without drugs, you don't need the guns. It's the drug business that is fueling the violence and the need for guns in the community."

Well, I don't use drugs but I still need guns.  Here's a novel idea, how about you get rid of the DRUGS.  Then, assuming your theory is correct, your community won't need the guns anymore.  Then you can give the guns and ammo to me, and I'll find them a good home.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 10:04:42 AM EDT
[#17]
If any of you want to repent

Contact:  The Rev. goodmedicine and I will help you my child.

GM

Link Posted: 8/26/2004 10:05:03 AM EDT
[#18]

Most of that looks like handgun caliber ammo, since when is that considered, "high powered"?????
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 10:06:22 AM EDT
[#19]
Maybe I'm way off, but that Tommy gun mag looks a lot like an AK drum to me. It would make way more sense.

I guess the little ganster didn't bother to turn in the guns too. They were probably worth more on the street.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 10:10:45 AM EDT
[#20]
Hmmm ...Boston has strict gun control and a high murder rate????

criminals with weapons = law abiding without

MT
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 10:14:03 AM EDT
[#21]

According to the 28-year-old man whose name Rivers did not reveal, tons more ammunition and firearms are circulating on the streets of Boston where Rivers contends the illegal gun trade  has become a growth industry.

That's right, it's illegal.  That doesn't mean I need to be regulated more.  What they do is already illegal so remove them from the gene pool and leave me the fuck alone.

`The fact that young men are willing to surrender this kind of ammunition is clear evidence that significant numbers of young people want to do the right thing and live law-abiding lives,'' Rivers said. ``The surrender of this ammunition is a clear cry for help.

Shit, I didn't know owning ammunition was illegal.  Oh, wait, it isn't.  It just helps the "cause" to make it seem that way in the "news" media.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 10:15:19 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I just want you all to know that if any of you wish to get out of the 'gun trade,'  I'll be more than happy to take your weapons and ammunition.

Will you pay shipping? I must purge my household of these devil weapons at once.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 10:19:04 AM EDT
[#23]
445SD:
Yeah, same opinion here: I think its an AK drum.
Stupid journalists, but it would be funny as hell to see the local DiFi wannabe try to insert it into a tommy gun.

Kharn
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top