Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/25/2004 10:29:54 PM EDT
AS some of you may or may not know, my daughter and I are planning our first boar hunt later this year. I am thinking of using my Remington 30-06. For those of you that hunt. What is the round you would use (i.e: Brand, grain, tip, etc) for your hunt.

2nd question: do you bring an additional firearm (such as a side arm) for protection? I spoke with two guys. One says ALWAYS and the other said NEVER.

Any forthcoming advice will be GREATLY appreciated.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 10:45:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I've hunted them many times near Paris - Paris, Texas that is.  I take my Rem. M700 .308 and ALWAYS my .45 with me.  You should ensure your safety and carry a backup weapon.  Especially if you'll be hunting with your daughter.

If one of them decides to charge you, its nice to have a little extra stopping power.  They are known to be aggressive.

Have fun and good luck.

Link Posted: 8/25/2004 11:03:04 PM EDT
[#2]
I hunt with my Tikka 7MM Mag 160 Grn Failsafes or 162grn Hornady SSTs...   30-06 should rock - get a failsafe or Bearclaw Bonded. Hit em hard and drop em.

I carry my 40cal...the thought being as I am running for my life I can dump lots of rounds ---

If you are taking your daughter, I'd suggest an ambush rather than a stalk...don't go humping through underbrush with your kid and possibly jump a pissed off boar.

If you can I'd say have your daughter carry a 12ga w/ slug as primary backup...if the piggy charges take the weapon from her and put it to use....it is one way to be sure
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 11:04:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Another question I would like to add. Any of you ever get charged by one othese pigs?
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 11:29:44 PM EDT
[#4]
No I've never been charged.  I have dropped them with .308 150gr. SP and .270 130 SP.  I will be trying 7.62x39 very soon.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 11:34:02 PM EDT
[#5]
You should always carry a sidearm whenever you're out in the woods. Many carry the large bore revolvers as a backup (.44 Mag or .454 Casull), but personally, I trust my .45. A 10mmAuto would be a better choice....
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 11:36:40 PM EDT
[#6]
I hunt with my 45-70 guide gun so I can't answer your 30-06 question, but I always carry a .44 mag Ruger Super Redhawk.  Both are loaded with Garrett ammo.  None have ever lived to charge.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 12:10:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 5:42:58 AM EDT
[#8]
There's a good website called GRAYBEARDOUTDOORS. click on forums and scroll down to PIG / BOAR HUNTING. alot of valuable information.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 6:30:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 6:37:59 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Another question I would like to add. Any of you ever get charged by one othese pigs?

Yes. Last Saturday. I was walking our dog, and saw a herd of about 20 in somebody's yard. The dog and I continued walking down the road. About 200 yards later, the dog get's antsy and I turn around and see this pig coming right at us. I continue to walk away and he keeps coming and coming. When I turn around and face the pig, he slows down and stops about 10 yards away from me and turns around goes back to the herd.

Next time, I'm packing a .45. The teeth on those things look like they can do alot of damage.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 6:38:33 AM EDT
[#11]
When I hunted hogs the couple times I did, I used my M1 (.30-06, of course) with some 155gr HPBTs.  They were a match load, but hit hard enough.  I'd probably go with a 150gr soft point in the future.

And DO carry a sidearm!  I carried my .45 the last few times I went, but will be carrying my .357 Mag in the future.  I found some inexpensive, yet hot, Golddot loads that I will carry.  
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 6:41:18 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

When I cowboyed in California we'd catch them in the open every now and then. We'd be horseback and rope them cut and earmark them and let them lose. During that circus I'd chase them (they're hard things to rope) and they'd turn and chase me. I usually won
M
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 6:43:26 AM EDT
[#13]
1) Shoot 'em in the head.  I have hunted with a 300WinMag down to a .223 AR.    

2) Yes, a .45Auto.  Again, aim for the head.  The pistol is sometimes for convience and not only safety.  It's not that strange to get within a few yards of hogs.  

If piggies come running your way, make like a tree.  

PD,
I have hunted hogs several times east of Paris, along the river.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 7:10:44 AM EDT
[#14]

1990:  Franklin, TX - I was deer hunting and walked up on top of a gully.  10ft below me was a 350 pounder.  We suprised each other and the SOB freaked out and started running towards me.  I blindly shot in the ground behind me as I was running.  It scared the beast and he ran back down the gully and then back up about 50yds away.  He started smaking his jaw together, it sounded like 2x4s slapping each other.  I went down on 1 knee and shot him in the face with an open sighted 8mm Mauser.  The bullet went through his open mouth and out the back of his head.  That was a 1 shot kill while I was shaking like a little school girl.

1999: Lexington, TX - I was hog hunting with a friend.  I had a mini14 and he had a .243 win.  I spotted the 300 pounder about 100 yds away.  I tried for a head shot and missed (later found out it missed left and went into the front of the grisle plate.  He ran in front of us and I unloaded rapid fire at him while my friend pegged him with his .243.  The hog kept running.  I put in a fresh mag and we followed the blood trail.  We found the hog wounded under a tree.  My friend shot him from 10yds right in the chest and blew his lungs out.  But the thing got up and ran, guts in tow, we rapid fired again as he ran through the woods hitting him several times.  He finally went down.  We had shot all of our rifle ammo.  As we approaced the downed hog the SOB got up and started wobbling slowly towards us.  All I had left was 10 rounds in my FireStar Plus 9mm pistol.  I unloaded it in him and he died from the last slug to the head.  We counted 22 holes in the hog.  Several of the shots were in the vital area.  We took him into town on a 95 degree day, not field dressed for an hour or so, and gave him to a man that said to give him any hog we shot.  He loved it.  

The two stories contrast a large caliber bullet placed well with a smaller caliber bullet place not so well.    
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 7:59:50 AM EDT
[#15]
I've never had one charge me while I was hunting them but when I was an eight year old kid a friend and I were out in the woods and jumped a big sow with a litter who charged us.  That big sow tore my pants with either tusks or teeth barely scratching me.  I quickly climbed a tree and she left going back to her litter.  

Not one to learn quickly another friend and I were out in the woods as 12 year olds.  We ran across a few piglets.  My friend wanted to catch one of them which he did rather quickly.  That thing was squeeling like crazy as he had it in his hands.  I knew that momma couldn't be to far away.  Sure enough she appeared just a few minutes later.  My friend dropped the piglet and we both ran into a river about 20 yards away.  Thank goodness she didn't follow as pigs swim better than many people think.

Just remember a ferel boar can be mean but nothing beats a sow with a litter nearby and they always have litters.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 10:35:58 AM EDT
[#16]
Marlin .444 and my bulldog, sometimes catch them live.
Large knife just in case.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 10:42:52 AM EDT
[#17]
I use a FAL, and am currently using South African ball ammo. I have only been a few times, and have had no issues dropping one yet. I killed 4 on Saturday.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 7:15:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Oh this is some good info!!! Thanks guys!!!!
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 7:22:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Remington corelock in the 06 for me.

.45 on the belt.

Whoever is not carrying a rifle carries a 12 gauge.

Semper Fi
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 7:29:49 PM EDT
[#20]
I would suggest a 220 grain soft point.  The problem with hogs is that big ones have thick skulls and a tough 'sheild' surrounding the neck/chest that can deflect or fragment a light/fast bullet.

Hogs have bad eyes.  If they charge you it is probably more random than personal.  I hunt them with a bow and have had to run on occasion.  It adds to the fun, just bring spare underwear.

As far as a backup, nope.  Just a knife and a good pair of boots.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 7:33:47 PM EDT
[#21]
I have hunted them twice in west Texas horseback witha Desert Eagle 44 Mag.  No rifle needed.  Pistol hunting off horseback is a lot more fun.  Something to consider.  Never had a charge on 5 kills.  We had a dog with us though.  I dunno if that keeps the boar at distance.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 7:35:32 PM EDT
[#22]
I take a.44mag lever action ,a Ka bar knive and a good set of dogs.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 7:42:51 PM EDT
[#23]
I hunt them with a 44mag revolver and carry a Glock 10mm as backup ...
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 7:50:59 PM EDT
[#24]
My cousin pig hunts down south all the time.

He uses a DSA SA58 stainless carbine and a GLOCK 20.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 8:04:16 PM EDT
[#25]
I use a 300 wby mag 180 gr . If you are going to eat it shoot a small one, the big boars taste like shit. Another thing sows either have piglets with them or IN them so unless you want your daughter to see a real life abortion you might want to gut it out of her view.They can smell pretty good but their vision sucks. Good luck
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 8:04:30 PM EDT
[#26]
I've never been but plan to take my 8x57 loaded with 200 grain Nosler Partitions.

I also have a .45/70 that I may take for shots less than 50 yds away.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 1:32:56 AM EDT
[#27]
I knew guys that hunted them with dogs, knives and flashlights (no guns allowed except for the dog owner). It was wild and a bit hariy at times, rather tough on dogs too.
M
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 1:46:44 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 3:46:25 AM EDT
[#29]
I hunt hogs with dogs at night, using a couple of trailing hounds to run the hog till he bays up then I sic the catch dogs on him. After the dogs git ahold of  the hog I come in and grab him by his hind legs flip him to the ground. If you kneel on thier neck they can't get at you to cut you up, then I duct tape thier mouth shut and tape thier feet togather, and take him to the house. Usally pen the little ones up to train dogs with, bigger hogs are corn feed for awhile to get good tasting.

Nothing like letting the catch dogs loose anD they run into some bushes to get the hog and he throws them back out at you, usally with him right behind! What a RUSH.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 4:06:13 AM EDT
[#30]
You mean like this?

My .338win mag sucked half of one of his lungs out the back side.  He didn't go anywhere, but down.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 4:13:46 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

My uncle has been charged twice.  On the first one, he was trying to get a sow and her piglets back into an enclosure and the sow charged him.  He fell on his ass while trying to back up and the sow bit his arm... OUCH!  This incident is on film.

On the second one, he was hunting them with an... unnamed member of this board.  The member shot at a large boar and missed (or maybe he nicked him...).  The boar turned toward my uncle, who was supposed to just be the camera man, and charged.  My uncle pulled his .44 mag and shot the boar twice, killing it.  The boar was over 300lbs.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 4:30:12 AM EDT
[#32]
I've only hunted boar once, and I carried only a .45 1911 (ball ammo) and a BIG Bowie knife. Yes, I got charged three times on that hunt! One of the guys on the hunt took his by chasing the boar from behind, tackling it by the back legs, and impaling it to the ground with a 15" blade. I didn't quite have the balls for that, but I don't regret using the .45 as my primary weapon. You DO have to get within almost touching distance with a .45 though. Might not be for everyone.  Definately wouldn't do that with kids!!

If I were going tomorrow (I'm much older now) I'd probably use a muzzle loader. I'd still have the .45 on my side though.  YMMV
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 5:11:42 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My uncle has been charged twice.  On the first one, he was trying to get a sow and her piglets back into an enclosure and the sow charged him.  He fell on his ass while trying to back up and the sow bit his arm... OUCH!  This incident is on film.

On the second one, he was hunting them with an... unnamed member of this board.  The member shot at a large boar and missed (or maybe he nicked him...).  The boar turned toward my uncle, who was supposed to just be the camera man, and charged.  My uncle pulled his .44 mag and shot the boar twice, killing it.  The boar was over 300lbs.

yeah I missed the bastard ... he went past me doing warp 9.
<I have pics at home, I may post them tonight>

Link Posted: 8/27/2004 5:13:04 AM EDT
[#34]
Tagged.

ANd if anyone has any experience wuith this in California let me know.

SGtar15
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 5:47:06 AM EDT
[#35]
never pig hunted with a 30.06, but I would think any heavy load would be just fine.

I've used a shotgun (with slugs) or a .44 mag Marlin lever gun & a .44 mag Ruger Super Blackhawk.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 5:55:39 AM EDT
[#36]
Where's TheRedGoat? He's got stories. Unfortunately all of his good threads are probably beyond the reach of the search engine.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 6:31:06 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 6:42:36 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 6:54:31 AM EDT
[#39]
^^ wouldn't that be an illegal shot if he was in a truck and shooting while it is moving?
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 6:57:48 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 6:58:39 AM EDT
[#41]
"HE'S COMING RIGHT AT US...."
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 7:05:39 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
"HE'S COMING RIGHT AT US...."

In my best South Park Jimbo voice.
"Quick Ned, thin the herd!"
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 7:06:57 AM EDT
[#43]
Sgt. -

I've hunted these things in Cali. NoCal specifically.

If I am going to carry a rifle, my favorite is a Mdl 94 30-30. Just kills 'em dead. When planning a shot keep in mind that the entire frontal area of these things is very well armored and you may have difficulty getting enough penetration. Try very hard to get a classic double lung shot and they will drop fast.

Agreed on older males tasting like shit.

-Z
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 7:10:18 AM EDT
[#44]
I have rased hogs most of my life, but just got into wild hog hunting a few years back.  I would alway carry a back up weapon, a 45.  I  plan on comming home everytime.  I have seen a hog bite a guys hand and leave gashes where you could see most of the bone, and this was not a wild hog.  When hog hunting I think you should always have a back up weapon, and make shure the cal. of your back up weapon will kill the animal.  I'm not saying it has to ba a 45, but you want something that will stop the animal.  I have seen 22 cal round bounce off a hogs head.hug.gif
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 8:03:25 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 8:35:50 AM EDT
[#46]
I've hunted hogs here in Texas since I was a little kid.

Hogs are Not some Magic invinsible beast that need a .45/70 to take thme down.  I have personally seen my father take many, MANY  hogs up to about 250 pounds with a .22 magnum. Shots to the side of the head.  Any of the larger pigs he usually took with a 6mm Remington ( Pretty close to a .243).

Shot placement is key!!!!!!!

I have been charged once, Rather the jeep we were riding around hunting them out of was Charged.  A buddy of mine botched a shot with a 30-06, and the squeeler came a running.  I hit the pig in the head with my .357, handloaded with 158gr Lead ( my hunting load). Down he went. This shot was very lucky, as I was so Excited, I damn near peed myself.

I wouldn't think It necessary to keep a side arm when hunting Pigs, I Always have carried one when out hunting. Our place is covered in Rattlers, so I carry  a .357 with 3 rat shots and 3 of my hunting loads in her at all times. Not really a necessity, but hand for snakes, rabbits.

I have shot pigs with everything from a .22 to my 50 beowulf. If you put the bullet in the right spot, they go right down.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top