Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/25/2004 7:24:21 PM EDT
So, after a week of the insurance company arguing with work comp for an MRI, I got an MRI Last  Thursday.  The results sit around the Dr's office until this afternoon.  I call and find out I have herniated discs at the L4/L5 and L5/S1.  I ask if I should have any work restrictions because of where I work.  Doc is out playing golf.  I try to explain that I work in a hazardous environment, and all I get is, the admin assist will leave a message for the doc in the morning.  Its like, WTF?  I work in a detention facility as a deputy sheriff.  I would think being on meds that say "Do not operate heavy equipment or machinery" would also mean don't be around dangerous people also.

I hate being treated like a number.

Link Posted: 8/25/2004 8:34:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Sucks dude, I ruptured my L4-L5 disc about 3-4 years ago and they operated on me cause I was in major league pain and my left leg was numb from the sciatic nerve being squished.
They did a discectomy and cut out the ruptured section. It was about as big as a very large shrimp.
Morphine drip, percocet, codeine and out of work for 2 months
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 1:40:38 PM EDT
[#2]
I had L4/5, S1/2 had surgury, lost most of the muscle control in right leg and when I have to go pottie I go pottie. Still have pain with limited motion. But I was lucky the way it damaged my spinal cord I was not expected to walk out. Good luck.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 1:43:45 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Sucks dude, I ruptured my L4-L5 disc about 3-4 years ago and they operated on me cause I was in major league pain and my left leg was numb from the sciatic nerve being squished.
They did a discectomy and cut out the ruptured section. It was about as big as a very large shrimp.
Morphine drip, percocet, codeine and out of work for 2 months

Ditto, except for me it was L5-S1.

Oh, I was up and walking less than 4 hours after the surgery, and out the next day. I was doing squats less than two months later.

I still have lower back issues, but the leg pain is gone (thank God!). I'd be willing to bet if  I got into better shape, my back problems would improve, too.

No idea how big my chunk was...
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 1:55:43 PM EDT
[#4]
It's a broken record...

L5-S1,L5-S1,L5-S1,L5-S1,L5-S1,L5-S1,L5-S1,L5-S1,L5-S1,L5-S1,L5-S1,L5-S1,L5-S1,L5-S1,L5-S1,L5-S1,L5-S1,L5-S1,L5-S1,L5-S1,L5-S1,L5-S1,L5-S1,L5-S1,L5-S1,L5-S1,L5-S1,

I had the discectomy at the age of 20 due to a rear end MVA collision.  (I refer to the wreck as having a Buick shoved up my ass)

The MVA took place in December of 1998, after 1-1/2 years of being misdiagnosed with "soft tissue injuries" and X-raying me till I glowed in the dark;  I woke up one morning and struggled to get upstairs where I collapsed in pure pain,  I finally couldn't walk. It was after this episode that the DRs figured perhaps one of dem spensive MRIs might be in order.

I'll never forget what the Doc said as he received the images from the MRI. "Well you just don't see this in a 20 year old kid."  Hmm, like a 6'2" 180 pound "kid" enjoyed whining & begging for an MRi for over a faqing year.

Had the surgery just over 4 years ago and sure glad it seemed to work out well.

Sly
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 2:00:37 PM EDT
[#5]
It was the same with military medicine. They HAD the MRI and STILL didn't want to believe it.

I had to go to a civilian doctor  for confirmation, and the Navy doc ripped me a new one for having dared gone outside the system.

Fortunately, the next Navy Doc was super cool, and took great offense to the prior doctor's behavior. In fact, I think he may have gone and raised a major stink about it, because after that, I was treated like a king.

Go figure....
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 2:13:47 PM EDT
[#6]
L2-L3-L4-L5-S1.....all completely blown out.

Don't lift anything over 7lbs.   BTW  7lbs=1 gallon of water.

Get MRI's...and get your own Doctor.  W/C doctor's goal is to get your ass back to work so they get more business from that insurance company.  Their goal is to FUCK YOU OVER!

Get your own Doctor.

SGatr15
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 2:20:06 PM EDT
[#7]
t-11 shot
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 2:39:12 PM EDT
[#8]
ouch
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top