Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/25/2004 6:51:22 PM EDT
During my lunch break today i was reading the Indianapolis Star newspaper.  There are several articles about  IPD Patrolman Tim Laird's murder by a man armed with an SKS. First of all my thoughts and prayers go out to Officers Laird's family. He was a Fellow veteran as well having served in the USMC.    

There is an aritcle By Tom Spalding  " ADVOCATES URGE TOUGHER GUN LAW". It seems to be a mostly  factual story with a anti gun tilt to it.

However when you get to the continuation on page B3 there is a picture and caption. The picture shopws a man holding an AR-15 is titled PRIME EXAMPLE.   The captions reads "John Johnson, Executive director of Iowins for the Prevention of Gun violence, was among advocates calling for a ban on more assault style during a news conference in Indianapolis on tuesday. Johnson is holding an AR-15 SIMILAR TO THE SKS rifle used to KIll IPD Officer Tim Laird last week".
         Now I believe the average person doesnt now the difference between an AR and SKS and now all AR owners have to fight the Cop killer stigma .  As soon as I read this caption I couldnt finish eating my lunch and picked up my cell phone, for Tom spalding has  his number and email address listed with the aritcle. A very harried voice answered, and when I asked him what simularities a AR-15 and SKS have I heard him mutter  somehting. He became very rude evasive when I asked the question again.  He said what did I want to do debate for a half hour and that he was very busy. When I tried to ask him why he had highlighted a AR all I got was silence and more mumbling.

Again I believe people are going to associate AR-15's with this Murder because of this picture and caption.  Am I over reacting?

As soon as I can somehow get the picture to be able to be viewed here I will upload it from my nonfunctioning scanner.

I included a link to the story below.

www.indystar.com/articles/3/173070-4653-009.html

Tom Spaldings email address is [email protected]
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 7:41:11 PM EDT
[#1]
The local news media gave these dipshits way too much air time and the paper is trying to stir up anti gun feeling as well.  It doesn't seem to be going very far.  They both look like poster children for the green salad and mineral water club anyway.  This is normal for these people.  They take every opportunity to put guns in a bad light.  The officers on this department know how the officer was killed.  They know why.  A schizophrenic who should have never been near a gun got his back because of silly assed laws.  He went off his meds as schizophrenics will do from time to time.  Then he went off.  Had our dickhead former democratic governor not shut down all the mental hospitals, this man may have been under closer supervision and this entire incident might have been avoided.   We'll never know.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 11:26:47 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
AR-15 SIMILAR TO THE SKS rifle used to KIll IPD Officer Tim Laird last week".

This sounds familiar.  Back in the '80s Jerry Dumphy (sp?) referred to the weapon used in the Stockton CA school yard shooting as "An AK47 assualt weapon, which is similar to an Uzi machine gun."
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 4:22:06 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
During my lunch break today i was reading the Indianapolis Star newspaper.  There are several articles about  IPD Patrolman Tim Laird's murder by a man armed with an SKS. First of all my thoughts and prayers go out to Officers Laird's family. He was a Fellow veteran as well having served in the USMC.    

There is an aritcle By Tom Spalding  " ADVOCATES URGE TOUGHER GUN LAW". It seems to be a mostly  factual story with a anti gun tilt to it.

However when you get to the continuation on page B3 there is a picture and caption. The picture shopws a man holding an AR-15 is titled PRIME EXAMPLE.   The captions reads "John Johnson, Executive director of Iowins for the Prevention of Gun violence, was among advocates calling for a ban on more assault style during a news conference in Indianapolis on tuesday. Johnson is holding an AR-15 SIMILAR TO THE SKS rifle used to KIll IPD Officer Tim Laird last week".
         Now I believe the average person doesnt now the difference between an AR and SKS and now all AR owners have to fight the Cop killer stigma .  As soon as I read this caption I couldnt finish eating my lunch and picked up my cell phone, for Tom spalding has  his number and email address listed with the aritcle. A very harried voice answered, and when I asked him what simularities a AR-15 and SKS have I heard him mutter  somehting. He became very rude evasive when I asked the question again.  He said what did I want to do debate for a half hour and that he was very busy. When I tried to ask him why he had highlighted a AR all I got was silence and more mumbling.

Again I believe people are going to associate AR-15's with this Murder because of this picture and caption.  Am I over reacting?

As soon as I can somehow get the picture to be able to be viewed here I will upload it from my nonfunctioning scanner.

I included a link to the story below.

www.indystar.com/articles/3/173070-4653-009.html

Tom Spaldings email address is [email protected]

WISH TV 8 (CBS) did mention in one report about this incident that it was an SKS semi-automatic rifle and not an automatic. This was quite surprising.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top