Posted: 6/1/2001 6:25:50 AM EDT
Does it work well??

I understand the barrel for a .308 should be about 20"

Any opinions on the Scout????
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 6:29:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 6:35:47 AM EDT
[#2]
I have one. I removed the stupid forward mount and replaced the handguard with the standard one. I found that the aluminium scope mount on the bbl would HEAT up too hot. The 18" bbl is fine. I was hitting targets to 800 meters with open sights a few weeks ago, matching the guy next to me using a 22" bolt gun chambered in .338 Lapua. He was visibly pissed I was doing so with open sights.

It is a great rifle and it is compact and alot more practical in my neck of the woods.

I got mine for $1285 with shipping and DOJ fees ect...retail was 2100. Save yourself some money and order the bush version, it comes without the price tag and the lame forward mount that will COOK your rings and scope.

Any other ???? email me.
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 6:38:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Had one sold it to my brother in law...They work ok...but most feel that they are in need of USGI parts....personally my next M1A will be full length..and USGI
If you get a chance talk to Clint at [url]www.fulton-armory.com[/url]
he's got some info on this configuration...he has worked some up in the past but
is not too keen on them now-at least thats what he conveyed to me a while back.
-my opinion
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 2:14:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Have a friend that has one. He like it, it is comparible to the FAL carbine accuracy wise but kicks like a H&K mod 91.
The M14 design is quite rugged and reliable. Good combat rifle.
The main difference with the M1A/M14 is that the front sight is mounted on the barrel, unlike the FAL. The shorter barrel on the M1A does mean shorter sight radius.
I do not know what the actual difference in length is right off hand.
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 2:20:04 PM EDT
[#5]
I have one that will shoot a half inch group at 100 yrds. I don't know its a typical gun but I sure don't want to get rid of it. It shot like this straight out of the box!!!!!!!
I guess I got lucky  
My .02 worth
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 2:38:55 PM EDT
[#6]
[orange][b][size=6]It's a wonderfull rifle[/size=6][/b][/orange]
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 2:56:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 3:12:52 PM EDT
[#8]
I have one and think its a great rifle.With average ammo its about a 2" rifle.18" is fine for a 308.I've chronographed 22" that were not any faster than 18-20" barrels.I also have a Savage 11FL that I built into a scout using
Ashley mount and cutting the barrel back to 18".I can hit a clay target at 50 yrds in under a second from low ready.I can do it with the M1A too because its heavier and gas operated.The Savage only weighs 67/8 lbs ready to go.I've also made 3 them up on 2A Enfields.
But they get bought by someone as fast as I make them.

I think its a great concept and the M1A is a great rifle.Never had one problem with the scout,supermatch or standard.You can buy the mount and handgaurd seperate and use it on a standard rifle.
Link Posted: 7/1/2001 2:08:31 PM EDT
[#9]
I love mine and can't wait to take it out Elk hunting.
It stays on zero much better than my USGI with the Springfield mount.
Link Posted: 7/1/2001 2:27:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By SPORTSMANS SUPPLY:
I have one that will shoot a half inch group at 100 yrds. I don't know its a typical gun but I sure don't want to get rid of it. It shot like this straight out of the box!!!!!!!
I guess I got lucky  
My .02 worth
View Quote

Sell that to a Highpower shooter!  You'll make enough profit that you'll have all of your original money back and enough left over to buy two more rifles just like it!
Link Posted: 7/1/2001 2:31:16 PM EDT
[#11]
[img]http://communities.msn.com/_Secure/0KwAAAPYNIB3uQRWrvdRyD5GP8Ia1gQud9pjRnP!MSiiZfCbSz0C!u8KW1IcakiWnZ3pA8iZ97v4/Jun30$13.jpg[/img]

The only problem I have found is the Leupold QRW rings wont tighten up.
Link Posted: 7/1/2001 2:34:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/2/2001 8:18:57 PM EDT
[#13]
i had an M1A scout...i loved it... shot great, felt and looked good, too  : )

i'd recommend it for anyone who would like a semiauto .308

just my opinion.

Jeff C/NY~~Blade
Link Posted: 7/2/2001 8:25:21 PM EDT
[#14]
I got play with one.  It shot great with ball.  However, when I used match ammo, the groups would open up.  Did anyone experienced this before?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top