Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/25/2004 3:14:33 PM EDT
msnbc.msn.com/id/5822021/

HOLLYWOOD, Fla. - A distraught father who had just been told his Marine son was killed in combat in Iraq set himself on fire in a Marine Corps van and suffered severe burns Wednesday, police said.

advertisement
Three U.S. Marines went to a house in Hollywood and told the parents of a 20-year-old Marine that their son died had Tuesday in Najaf, police said.

The father, Carlos Arredondo, 44, then walked into the open garage, picked up a can of gasoline, a propane tank and a lighting device, police Capt. Tony Rode said. He smashed the van’s window with the propane tank and doused the van with gasoline before setting it ablaze.

“The father was in disbelief, same as any of us would be after hearing this kind of news,” Rode said. “But then the father basically loses it. You can only imagine what this father was going through. He snapped to say the least.”

Television news stations identified the son as Pfc. Alexander Arredondo. Rode did not confirm that. Calls to the Marine Corps were not immediately returned.

Police said that despite the Marines’ efforts to stop him, Arredondo set the van and himself on fire. The Marines pulled him out of the burning vehicle and put out the flames, police said.

“We have not seen this type of reaction. Every reaction is negative; it’s the loss of a loved one,” said Marines spokesman Maj. Scott Mack. “I don’t think any of us are qualified to go into the depths of the mind and truly anticipate how somebody is going to react.”

Arredondo was listed in serious condition with severe burns to his arms and legs in the burn unit of Miami’s Jackson Memorial Hospital. Hollywood is about 20 miles north of Miami.

Rode said it was too early to discuss possible charges against Arredondo.

“We’ll see how he recovers before doing anything,” Rode said.

U.S. forces in Najaf have been battling for nearly five months against militiamen loyal to radical Shiite cleric Muqtada al-Sadr.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 3:16:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Prayers inbound
R.I.P MARINE
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 3:17:01 PM EDT
[#2]
My God show mercy.

Prayers.

Semper Fi
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 3:17:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 3:18:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 3:18:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 3:20:46 PM EDT
[#6]
They're thinking about pressing charges against this guy? How low can you go? His son paid the ultimate price for this country and their worried about a fucking van.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 3:23:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Just goes to show that it's not only those who serve that pay the price.
Sad.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 3:26:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 3:28:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 3:29:58 PM EDT
[#10]
RIP.  

Still, the father had no call burning the Marines' vehicle.  It isn't their fault he died.  By all means, press charges.  Grief isn't a legitimate excuse to go destroy someone else's property.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 3:30:46 PM EDT
[#11]
I made several death notifications in my career.  They all sucked.  If he does live through this, I have a feeling he will off himself eventually.  Sad.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 3:35:55 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
RIP.  

Still, the father had no call burning the Marines' vehicle.  It isn't their fault he died.  By all means, press charges.  Grief isn't a legitimate excuse to go destroy someone else's property.

I don't think he was in his right mind so you have to take that into account.  If you want to look at from a somewhat different yet morbib point of view you could say that 1 piece of gov't property was traded for another. Which do you think is worth more? I mean no disrespect to that fallen soldier or his family but I am just trying to make a point.  Was the guy justified, who knows. Should it be overlooked given the situation, YES.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 3:38:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Prayers headed that direction this evening...  poor family

- BUCC_Guy
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 3:40:37 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
RIP.  

It wasn't like he set the neighbor's vehicle on fire.  It was a gov't vehicle - our vehicle.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 3:41:48 PM EDT
[#15]
God Bless & thank you for your service, salute!
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 3:43:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Well that should help his wife in her grief...
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 3:44:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Our prayers are with him, RIP Marine and may his father find peace. God Bless America.

How about if we have a G'mo prisoner accomany our men when they visit the next of the next of kin... it would have been convenient to have had one of those terrorists present when the father went into rage.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 3:45:37 PM EDT
[#18]
for each
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 3:51:04 PM EDT
[#19]
I don't have the words...
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 3:53:52 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
RIP.  

It wasn't like he set the neighbor's vehicle on fire.  It was a gov't vehicle - our vehicle.

May you live in interesting times.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 4:20:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Once again it looks like we are going to play politics and let the Iraq's negotiate a deal with Sadr and let him slip away again. Since March 20, 2004 138 US Soldiers, Marines and Navy personal have been killed in the Al Anbar Province fighting Sadar and his militia and 500 plus have been seriously wounded. If president Bush would have finished this in April I sure there is a very good possibility that PFC. Arrendondo would still be alive. I am sure that Mr. Arrendondo is wondering just what the hell his son died for and is even more frustrated than most of us that understand what is happening in Iraq with the rules of engagement and politics. I know of two retired colonels one being a special operations soldier that feel if Bush allows Sadar to get away again we need to just pack up and leave Iraq before we lose more US personal and then the Iraq provisional government deal with whatever comes of it. Bush should have learned his lesson in April and didn't, unfortunately it is our armed forces personal and their families that are paying the price. God-Damn it!!

Drakich it is obvious that you are not a father and have never been witness to a death notice of ones child. Asshole!!!
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 4:25:09 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Once again it looks like we are going to play politics and let the Iraq's negotiate a deal with Sadr and let him slip away again. Since March 20, 2004 138 US Soldiers, Marines and Navy personal have been killed in the Al Anbar Province fighting Sadar and his militia and 500 plus have been seriously wounded. If president Bush would have finished this in April I sure there is a very good possibility that PFC. Arrendondo would still be alive. I am sure that Mr. Arrendondo is wondering just what the hell his son died for and is even more frustrated than most of us that understand what is happening in Iraq with the rules of engagement and politics. I know of two retired colonels one being a special operations soldier that feel if Bush allows Sadar to get away again we need to just pack up and leave Iraq before we lose more US personal and then the Iraq provisional government deal with whatever comes of it. Bush should have learned his lesson in April and didn't, unfortunately it is our armed forces personal and their families that are paying the price. God-Damn it!!

Drakich it is obvious that you are not a father and have never been witness to a death notice of ones child. Asshole!!!

I agree, we are losing alot of good guys for what? so they can play PC war??? fucking nuke the mosque.

I say let them take the gloves off or bring the guys home.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 4:27:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 9:54:46 PM EDT
[#24]
I feel sad for the Dad after he gets out of the hospital he will have to spend  a ton of money to beat a host of federal charges like destroying gov't property, endagering the lives of federal or military employees, etc. instead of spending on giving his son a decent funeral. I am sad and confused, how would I act if someone told me my son had just died.....I am praying for both of them and the entire family....  
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 10:10:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 10:25:56 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
RIP.  

I try be a little more compassionate.

This is one of those things that should just be made to quietly go away.

The Marine Corps can get another van.

The father cannot get another son.

There ARE times when temporary insanity is a bona-fide defense.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 10:30:44 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

There ARE times when temporary insanity is a bona-fide defense.

100% right on in this case.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 10:35:43 PM EDT
[#28]
If I was the dad I don't think I would have stopped at the van. Really what type of father would you be if not angry for the loss of a son or daughter? I would be ready to kill.
And fuck the van, they waste more money on worthless shit. At least the dad got some pleasure out of it.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 10:37:34 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:
RIP.  

Well then i gave him permission to torch it asshole!
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 10:47:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Prayers sent for both father and son.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 10:58:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Not a K.I.A, but I hope none of you ever gets that "knock on the door" that informs you that someone you Love is gone Forever.
Yanks your Soul out by the Roots.
Lord have Mercy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top