Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/25/2004 1:45:15 PM EDT
By TODD DVORAK, AP

Released AUGUST 25, 2004

AP

DAVENPORT, Iowa (Aug. 25) - Vice President Dick Cheney, whose daughter Mary is a lesbian, drew criticism from both proponents and foes of gay marriage after he distanced himself from President Bush's call for a constitutional amendment to ban same-sex marriage.

At a campaign rally in this Mississippi River town Tuesday, Cheney spoke supportively about gay relationships, saying "freedom means freedom for everyone,'' when asked about his stand on gay marriage.

"Lynne and I have a gay daughter, so it's an issue our family is very familiar with,'' Cheney told an audience that included his daughter. "With the respect to the question of relationships, my general view is freedom means freedom for everyone... People ought to be free to enter into any kind of relationship they want to.

"The question that comes up with the issue of marriage is what kind of official sanction or approval is going to be granted by government? Historically, that's been a relationship that has been handled by the states. The states have made that fundamental decision of what constitutes a marriage,'' he said.

Bush backs a constitutional amendment prohibiting gay marriage, a move Cheney says was prompted by various judicial rulings, including the action in Massachusetts that made gay marriage legal.

"I think his perception was that the courts, in effect, were beginning to change, without allowing the people to be involved,'' Cheney said. "The courts were making the judgment for the entire country.''

Addressing Bush's position on the amendment, Cheney said: "At this point, say, my own preference is as I've stated, but the president makes policy for the administration. He's made it clear that he does, in fact, support a constitutional amendment on this issue.''

Those comments drew criticism from the conservative Family Research Council, with President Tony Perkins saying: "I find it hard to believe the vice president would stray from the administration's position on defense policy or tax policy. For many pro-family voters, protecting traditional marriage ranks ahead of the economy and job creation as a campaign issue.''

Perkins added that if Cheney sees a problem with activist judges, "then how can he not endorse the same solution the president and his pro-family allies have proposed? We urge Vice President Cheney to support President Bush and a constitutional amendment on marriage.''

Link Posted: 8/25/2004 2:02:37 PM EDT
[#1]
So Cheney can't have his own opinion?  Some of these "family" groups need to mind their own family business and stop telling the rest of us what our opinions should be.  He said his president directed policy but his opinion is different.  I guess he should have just said "Yes, master".  Talk about non-news.  I love watching controversy made out every statement by anyone.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 2:05:43 PM EDT
[#2]
With all the cock sucking these fags do I am surprised they ever have time to talk.

Damn fags.

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 2:08:34 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
"With the respect to the question of relationships, my general view is freedom means freedom for everyone... People ought to be free to enter into any kind of relationship they want to."

amen
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 2:09:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Well, I gotta agree with the guy.  Freedom DOES mean freedom for everyone.

Are there any law-abiding people on this planet who DO NOT deserve freedom?

Link Posted: 8/25/2004 2:10:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Looks like Dickhead Cheney needs a lesson in towing the party line! Never go against the boss fucko! Especially if it helps the queers and pisses off your base!
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 2:11:02 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Since when don't fags have freedom??  Their rights ARTE NOT denied!

Sgatr15
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 2:19:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Gays seem to believe that their rights are denied.  They feel they should be afforded the right to be legally married.

Link Posted: 8/25/2004 2:23:10 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
 They feel they should be afforded the right to be legally married.

<sigh>  They can amrry..all they need to do is find a member of the opisite sex and  marry them!  Their rights are not being denied, they are trying to change the definition of marriage.

Sgatr15
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 2:26:02 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
With all the cock sucking these fags do I am surprised they ever have time to talk.

Damn fags.

Sgtar15

EQUAL OPPORTUNITY: "carpet munching".... is what the informed public was expecting!
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 2:30:43 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
 They feel they should be afforded the right to be legally married.

<sigh>  They can amrry..all they need to do is find a member of the opisite sex and  marry them!  Their rights are not being denied, they are trying to change the definition of marriage.

Sgatr15

Damn man!  I know you know what I meant, but that was funny.

I say to hell with it - let them marry each other.  It will have approximately ZERO effect on my life.

Link Posted: 8/26/2004 1:41:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Apparently some folks are afraid that after they get married they'll have kids and take over.

They seem to be afraid of them all the time actually.  I dunno, they never scared me.

And for anyody that thinks that the entire Republican Party needs to be in lockstep with the President, it ain't never gonna happen and had never happened.  And most VPs usually have some disagreements with the boss, but the Boss makes the policy.  So what the VP thinks doesn't really maatter almost 99.99% of the time.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 2:00:37 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Looks like Dickhead Cheney needs a lesson in towing the party line! Never go against the boss fucko! Especially if it helps the queers and pisses off your base!

You are all that's wrong with America.

My respect for Cheney just went up about 50 notches. I don't like the gay lifestyle, but I support their right to happiness, same as anyone else.

When we even consider placing a constitutional amendment that specificaly DENIES a group a right that others enjoy, I think we've pissed on all the Bill of Rights ever stood for.

Think hard about what the constitution is there for, and if you can't see this you've lost your mind. It's not a tool of a party to legislate morality, but a guarantee of the limitation of government and the freedom of the countries citizen.

I vote Republican, but not on this issue.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 2:05:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Wow. I didn't know Cheney had that in him. I agree, my respect for the man just went up. Why not let gay marrige be the law? Shouldn't they have the right to be as miserable as the rest of us?
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 3:08:12 AM EDT
[#14]
reguardless of right or wrong, follow the party line huh?

And they call me a sheep LMAO

Who cares if the fags can get married, if you agree with freedom for everyone, what's the deal ?

or is this another case of freedom is ok, as long as YOU agree. if not, that freedom is not deserved of them?
It amazes me how some can call for the removal of someone elses freedoms, while crying about losing some of your own.

Chris

Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/26/2004 3:15:53 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 4:20:00 AM EDT
[#16]
Good for Cheney. It shows how diverse and tolerant the Bush administration is.
Personaly I hve no problem with gay marriage. I just don't think it should be pushed on the American people if they don't want it.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 4:23:48 AM EDT
[#17]
Dick was just trying to get on the good side of HIS family.
His daughter is not normal in the pick of partners if you know what I mean ?
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 4:57:25 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 9:28:01 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Good for Cheney. It shows how diverse and tolerant the Bush administration is.
Personaly I hve no problem with gay marriage. I just don't think it should be pushed on the American people if they don't want it.

The only problem with THAT way of thinking is that "interracial" marriage was only "supported" by the "American Population" back when IT was sanctioned... and they only had about 10% of Amerians "on their side" ... now w/GLBT Marriage, we have between 40-50% of the American population "for" it.... (depending on whose #'s you go with) ... so are you saying that "interracial marriage" (rights) shouldn't have been "pushed" on the American people? And what about the 40 or 50% that WANT it puched? That just "too bad for them"?

Not being critical, just trying to get us all thinking ;)
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 9:34:02 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Damn fags.

Sgtar15

Wow ----------- me thinks thou protests to much....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top