Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/25/2004 12:59:42 PM EDT
I'm in the market for a new truck, I'm looking at 2004 Dodge diesel or Nissan Titan.

question is how do you guys make the salesrep give you a good price, im talking 5g's or more discount on top of rebate.  I've heard of peeps doing this I just never had luck with it
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 1:04:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Buying a brand new truck is a HUGE waste of money.

Get a lease return or one with a few miles on it.

Otherwise you will be the one losing 25% of the value as so as you drive it off the lot.

Sgtar`15
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 1:07:05 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Buying a brand new truck is a HUGE waste of money.

Get a lease return or one with a few miles on it.

Otherwise you will be the one losing 25% of the value as so as you drive it off the lot.

Sgtar`15

1.  A lease return will have 24,000 to 36,000 miles on it.  If the life were 150,000, that's 16 to 25% of the value used up already - the best 16 to 25%, when it's new & nice.

2.  New trucks have good incentives - $5,000 or more even

3.  New vehicles get much better financing rates

4.  New vehicles have a factory warranty you don't have to buy

5.  New vehicles are more reliable

All said, yes, a new vehicle will probably cost more, but you get more too.  Overall,
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 1:07:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Never ever ever ever never under any circumstances buy a new vehicle
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 1:15:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Lease return= 36K of unchanged oil. You gotta be kidding me.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 1:16:17 PM EDT
[#5]
I wouldn't touch the titan yet. There are a few bad reports on them right now. Bad transmissions and differentials. There was a post here that linked to their fourms on it.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 1:17:41 PM EDT
[#6]
I bought a new 2004 Dodge Ram 2500 SLT Quad Cab 4x4 Diesel in July.  It MSRP'd at 41k and I walked out the door for around $32600.  That was w/ all the dealer rebates.  I did all my shopping on line and the only time I stepped foot in the dealership was to pickup the truck.  If you send out an email w/ what you will pay to several different dealers you take them out of their element and deal on your terms.  Dealing w/ Internet Sales or Fleet Sales will usually get you a much better deal than w/ general sales.  Most importantly do your homework.  Find invoice prices online and don't settle for anything less than exactly what you want.

I prefer new vehicles and don't mind paying a little more for a new truck rather than buying something used that may have not been taken care of properly.  

My 2 cents!

Nick
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 1:19:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Timing is everything.

Buy what ain't selling.

Buy at the end of the month.  Better yet, buy between christmas and new years.  When the last thing on everyones mind is buying a new vehicle.  

Take your time.  Time is on your side.  The clock is running on the vehicle.  

Be prepared to get up and leave when negotiating with the salesman.

Link Posted: 8/25/2004 1:19:08 PM EDT
[#8]
If you can't afford to pay cash, don't buy one.

But since I know where you work, I'm sure you got cash.

Titans are to be avoided at this point, lots of bugs, but a damn nice platform. Three years from now it'll be the gasoline buy for sure.

Dodge/Cummins all the way!
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 1:23:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Are you a member of Costco? You get to deal with selected dealer's fleet departments as a member. Dealing with fleet departments is the only way to go. Fleet salesman are not on commission.

I just bought a new Tacoma. Walked into the dealer with the invoice prices for everything from looking on the net (Edmunds and such). On a couple of add ons the dealer invoice price I had was actually higher than theirs. Walked out with a truck for invoice plus $200. I paid cash. They even give you wholesale price on anything from the parts department like floor mats and a bed liner. This is the third truck I have bought like that.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 1:24:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Hadn't thought about online shopping, thanks for the tip.  as for having cash all I can say is I'm married but i was still thinking of 7 to 10 g's down.  also titan was my second choice, far second.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 1:25:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 1:28:06 PM EDT
[#12]
I drive a new Titan, no problems as of yet.....some are to be expected due to it being a brand new platform.....i read up top somewhere that the Titans are having tranny problems.....ive heard the same about a few of em....but whats Dodge's excuse...theyve had YEARS to work the bugs outa their auto trannies...and theyre STILL garbage.  if youre gonna buy a Dodge...buy the diesel and buy a manual tranny. the so called "Hemi" that everyone just assmes is bulletproof...is at BEST anemic until your turning at least 5000rpm...definately not a truck motor...my Titan pulls WAY harder down low...ive driven them both......... the Titan is a DAMN fine truck....rides like a caddy, quiet as a library inside..and runs like a scalded ape.  i LOVE mine so far.  

2004 Nissan Titan King Cab 4x4 in "red brawn"
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 1:34:18 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Lease return= 36K of unchanged oil. You gotta be kidding me.

You obviously know nothing about lease returns.

Sgatr15
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 4:19:29 PM EDT
[#14]

$60,000 or so.

Link Posted: 8/25/2004 5:03:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Read this thread

Be careful, the Nissan is developing a bad reputation for reliablitity.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 6:51:31 PM EDT
[#16]
You can't beat Dave Smith in Kellogg, Ida. Pay for your air fair and some.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 6:54:06 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
You can't beat Dave Smith in Kellogg, Ida. Pay for your air fair and some.

Dont kid yourself, nothing is free.  You pay for that airline ticket

Check your IM's
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 6:56:49 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I bought a new 2004 Dodge Ram 2500 SLT Quad Cab 4x4 Diesel in July.  It MSRP'd at 41k and I walked out the door for around $32600.  That was w/ all the dealer rebates.  I did all my shopping on line and the only time I stepped foot in the dealership was to pickup the truck.  If you send out an email w/ what you will pay to several different dealers you take them out of their element and deal on your terms.  Dealing w/ Internet Sales or Fleet Sales will usually get you a much better deal than w/ general sales.  Most importantly do your homework.  Find invoice prices online and don't settle for anything less than exactly what you want.

I prefer new vehicles and don't mind paying a little more for a new truck rather than buying something used that may have not been taken care of properly.  

My 2 cents!

Nick

Nice truck, but in 1 year it will be worth 19k at the used lot.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 7:02:25 PM EDT
[#19]
that only matters if he plans on selling it in one year.  He may plan on keeping it until it dies.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 7:02:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 7:05:44 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My 2 cents!

Nick

No it wont.  Diesels hold their vaule VERY well.  Trade in on a truck like that after a year is about 27k.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 7:08:58 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Quoted:
If the life were 150,000, that's 16 to 25% of the value used up already - the best 16 to 25%, when it's new & nice.

I have a 95 ford F-150
just turned 150,000 miles...

I was looking for a new truck last weekend... after seeing the prices.. I realized the only thing wrong with my truck is some minor body damage due to I dont baby my truck..

she is still going STRONG..

I realized the only reason  I was even looking was for a new body style..

150k life for a truck?   naw..   a car maybe.. but not a truck.

Link Posted: 8/25/2004 7:14:59 PM EDT
[#23]

I disagree.  Diesels hold there value very well, considering.  My neighbor just traded in his 2002 diesel and got 32k for it.  I didn't buy this truck with intentions of selling it in a year either.

Nick  
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 7:15:33 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I'm in the market for a new truck, I'm looking at 2004 Dodge diesel or Nissan Titan.

question is how do you guys make the salesrep give you a good price, im talking 5g's or more discount on top of rebate.  I've heard of peeps doing this I just never had luck with it

Kind of polar opposite vehicles arent they?   Dodge diesel is more of a HD towing type rig whereas the Titan is more of a wanna be fullsize truck in the F150 or C/D1500 class.  Not a heavy duty by any means.   Personally I wouldnt buy either but that's another story.   Of the two you listed I'd much sooner buy the dodge as it's going to get better mileage and the engine will last longer as well as have a MUCH higher towing/hauling capacity.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 7:18:09 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

I disagree.  Diesels hold there value very well, considering.  My neighbor just traded in his 2002 diesel and got 32k for it.  I didn't buy this truck with intentions of selling it in a year either.

Nick  

I don't know about your areas, but here Nashville i just bought last year a 2002 f 250 loaded with deisel engine and 22k miles for 21,500. the original sticker was 38,900. Someone got their ass handed to them when they traded.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 7:22:18 PM EDT
[#26]
nchapa,

Purchase it from the Number One Truck Dealer in the World.

Dave Smith Motors in Kellog, Idaho.

I am serious you will save thousands and thousands. You will get all your loan info and such done over the phone...they will get your truck ready...you will fly in....they will PICK you UP...and about 2hours or less you will be driving your truck home.

MT
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top