Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/25/2004 12:15:12 PM EDT
Long story short.  Great dog, I let get way too old.  Lost his hearing about 2 years ago.  Poor guy could barely stand up and would even fall over at times for the last month or 2.  Started howling late at night when he wanted to get up and couldn't.  Sometimes he'd roll over into a small ditch (at edges of house for rain to drain from back yard) and couldn't get himself out... so he'd just stay there howling until someone came and rescued him.  Finally put him down this last weekend at the vet.  Now the other dog (about 8 months old) has started freaking out over everything.  At first it was shoes, then a backpack, then a few bags... now she's barking often at the last spot he rested in the house and is acting scared (never did this before) and runs away from certain areas, and runs past other areas... no I'm hearing noises in areas of the house where no one is at... the noises freak out the puppy and she goes crazy barking, then hiding.

So I guess my question is has anyone ever been haunted by their dog?  Is there any way of stopping the haunting?

This sounds stupid to me also.... but it's true.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 12:17:00 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
but it's true.

Nope, it's in your head...
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 12:17:11 PM EDT
[#2]
I've had the same experience with the other common pet species which shall remain nameless.

It goes away after a while.

And DriftPunch is right, it's in your head.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 12:18:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Sounds like if you got rid of the puppy the problem would be solved.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 12:19:48 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Sounds like if you got rid of the puppy the problem would be solved.

gee thanks!

I'm not getting rid of the puppy.  :|
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 12:41:38 PM EDT
[#5]
ehh, don't get rid of it, but let a friend keep if for a few days, see if there's a correlation.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 1:01:40 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
ehh, don't get rid of it, but let a friend keep if for a few days, see if there's a correlation.

Even with strange noises in a house that's never had a problem before?  It's not like the noises are settling noises.  It sounds like there's someone ocassionaly knocking things over, just like the old dog used to do.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 1:40:50 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Is there any way of stopping the haunting?

Move.

Or call this guy....

Link Posted: 8/25/2004 1:44:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Sorry to hear about your dog. I think it will pass with time, don't think it's in your head.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 1:48:50 PM EDT
[#9]
In a way.  There was a small terrier pup that latched on to me when I was a kid one day and followed me all over the neighborhood.  He followed me home, and Mom wouldn't let me keep him.  Later that afternoon, I had a neighbor's dad hold onto him then let him go once I was out of sight on my bike.  He caught up to me five minutes later.  My Mom took him to the shelter later that day.

It makes me teary, sort of, to think about him now.  I wish I'd argued harder with my mother.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 1:52:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Not a haunting, but I had a dream about a year ago that was so vivid that I was almost in tears when I woke up.

I met every animal I ever owned at my house. I came through the door and they all greated me with unbound affection. They were so happy to see me and I was so very happy to see them. It felt so real.

Weird....yeah...but that feeling still hangs with me today.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 1:54:23 PM EDT
[#11]
A dog haunted me once...then I figure out he needed a lead injection. Fortunately my neighbor was kind enough and took care of him for me (with a colt nonetheless)

Ben
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 2:03:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 2:08:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Firstly, my condolences on the loss of a beloved pet.  

Secondly, no it's not unusual to sense a deceased pet being around.  It hurts like hell to miss them, but it's comforting to know that they miss you as well.

After I lost my Puppy (she was 13+, but you couldn't tell HER that!  Didn't act her age until into her last months), there were several times at night, when I could feel her jump on the bed.  There was a distinctive way that she laid down (more of a collapse), and I knew that feeling all too well.  It let me know that she was o.k.

Every now and then, she'll appear in a dream, and it's cool, having a chance to spend time with her again.  Dreams are more interesting, once you realize you're in a dream while you're having it.  

Being someone that has lived in 'haunted' houses in various places, has two spirits that have followed me from two apartments, and into my home (where they currently reside), and talked to my Dad in a dream after he passed, this kind of stuff is second nature to me.

In a dream, Dad and I are driving down a road in his old car.  I turn to him and say, realizing, "Wait a minute, you're dead".  He looked back at me, smiled, and said, "You're right".  After that moment, I knew that I was going to be all right.  Been 13 years since his passing, but he still pops in every once in awhile.  

Sometimes, talking to your deceased animal will help.  Just kindly ask him to stop scaring the young one.  That'll probably do the trick.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 2:14:06 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I really hope there is a Rainbow Bridge....  

Me too.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 2:14:59 PM EDT
[#15]
No, but I once had a hog daunt me.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 2:21:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Never seen it personally but know people who have.  My g/f's sister says that she could see her aunt's cat around the house after it died.  Funny thing is... when she told her aunt about it her aunt said "I know, I see her all the time too."

She wasn't actually SEEING the cat, but she would catch sight of it out of the corner of her eye... or she would feel something against her leg.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 4:53:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Thanks for the great stories everyone.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 5:25:38 PM EDT
[#18]
I have an old friend that comes back to visit me every now and then. I got her when she was 5 weeks old. She died of congestive heart failure at the age of 9. When she comes to visit, it is a happy time but too short. When it is time for her to go back it's like we walk to a door and I get the feeling that I could follow, but if I chose to follow her then I would not be able to come back either.

She left me 13 years ago and I'm still not over it. <if you coud see through this CRT, you'd be seeing a grown man cry> I carry her ID tag from her collar on my keychain in my pocket wherever I go and her spirit is always with me. Say what you will, but when my time finally comes, I hope her spirit is there to guide my soul to the other side. That's all I ask. If there is just this and nothing more, I will still be content.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 5:32:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Can't say that I have.  My dog would be to lazy to haunt me.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top