Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/25/2004 11:05:56 AM EDT
Survey: Border officers need better tools

By BRENDA GAZZAR, STAFF WRITER

Only one-third of front-line border protection personnel surveyed in a union poll were at least fairly satisfied with the tools and support they've received to stop potential terrorists from entering the country.
The survey results of 500 Border Patrol agents and immigration inspectors were released this week to highlight the need to do more to combat terrorism in the post Sept.11 era, said T.J. Bonner, president of the National Border Patrol Council, which co-sponsored the survey.

"We're hoping to wake America up; much more needs to be done to secure our homeland," Bonner said. "Homeland security is directly tied to border security. If you don't have border security, you don't have homeland security."

U.S. Customs and Border Protection officials said the survey was biased, poorly done and asked leading questions.

Border Patrol and immigration efforts have once again become a hot button issue since June, when a new Mobile Patrol Group out of the Temecula station arrested more than 400 undocumented immigrants in cities as far from the border as Ontario and Corona.

The sweeps farther from the border have not resumed since a top Homeland Security official, Asa Hutchinson, said the arrests should not have been conducted without prior headquarters approval.

About 35 percent of those polled were not really satisfied with the tools, training and support they have to fight terrorism and nearly 30 percent were just somewhat satisfied, according to the poll that was conducted by Hart Research. Eighteen percent were fairly satisfied and 16 percent were very satisfied.

"Just let us do our job," said Ron Zermeno, a local union representative for the Temecula Border Patrol station and a border patrol agent. "Let us do interior enforcement the way we know how to do it."

About 41 percent of those polled believe that the Department of Homeland Security could do much more to protect the country from terrorist threats, while 21 percent said the agency could be doing somewhat more and 36 percent said it is doing as much as can be expected.

Homeland Security strategies and policies were also evaluated, with 46 percent of those polled saying the Border Patrol's strategy of deterrence - which requires some agents to remain in fixed positions - is not at all effective.

U.S. Customs and Border Protection officials defend their efforts and their policies. The agency has provided extensive anti-terrorism training to its employees, including agroterrorism and bioterrorism training, said Christiana Halsey, an agency spokeswoman.

In addition, agents are being armed with intelligence as soon as it is received. Advanced technology, such as computerized fingerprinting, is now being used to better help the agency's employees identify potential terrorists.

With the creation of the Department of Homeland Security following Sept. 11, 2001, four different agencies with four different missions were merged to create U.S. Customs and Border Protection in an effort to keep terrorists and terrorist weapons out of the country, she said.

"The survey also doesn't take into account that we've undergone the largest transition within the federal government in 50 years," Halsey said. "Transition can be stressful."

She added that the survey is not representative since it used a small sample of employees - 500 of 42,000 in the agency - and questioned only two types of employees - Border Patrol agents and immigration inspectors - within the agency.

Brenda Gazzar can be reached by e-mail [email protected] or by phone at (909) 483-9355
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 11:11:59 AM EDT
[#1]
There really is no border guard.  I lived in McAllen for years and litterally you would be sitting in your car at the crossing waiting to be questioned and you can see the illeagls crossing the river with their clothing in a trashbag.  Often people honk and shout at them naked on the America side getting dressed to come in and help traash the economy.  Shit man, your right at the freakin crossing and the Feds just ignore it.  It's really sad and very unsafe.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 11:21:19 AM EDT
[#2]
We need more qualified personell, more night vision, less laws restricting us, more computers to process, streamline paperwork, more bigger detention centers, we need the support of judges and us attorneys, we need more drug sniffing canines and blood hounds, bigger stations with more vehicles that dont break down as often, more union protection, 2 agents per vehicle, trust me out there you need back up.  more air support, peace officer status,

Link Posted: 8/25/2004 11:24:10 AM EDT
[#3]

"We're hoping to wake America up; much more needs to be done to secure our homeland," Bonner said. "Homeland security is directly tied to border security. If you don't have border security, you don't have homeland security."

The BP agents know whats up, and we all know whats up, so when the hell is the .gov going to fiogure it out and let the BP do it's fucking job!?
It must suck to be on the .govs leash and never be let off to do what needs to be done.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 11:27:55 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
There really is no border guard.  I lived in McAllen for years and litterally you would be sitting in your car at the crossing waiting to be questioned and you can see the illeagls crossing the river with their clothing in a trashbag.  Often people honk and shout at them naked on the America side getting dressed to come in and help traash the economy.  Shit man, your right at the freakin crossing and the Feds just ignore it.  It's really sad and very unsafe.

In the last 3 years we have more than doubled our man power, it is impossible to be at all the crossings at any giving time,you also got to understand that these aliens dont just cross, they are being guided and they have scouts and do there own intel on us, some stations have 30 agents working at any single time with over 70 miles of river to cover plus city patrol, hwy patrol, processing, backing up agents that catch 30 + aliens thousands of pounds of dope.  youre right it is very unsafe but our government doesnt support us like they do other agencies, were the bastard child of the government.  
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 11:29:03 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

In the last 3 years we have more than doubled our man power, it is impossible to be at all the crossings at any giving time,you also got to understand that these aliens dont just cross, they are being guided and they have scouts and do there own intel on us, some stations have 30 agents working at any single time with over 70 miles of river to cover plus city patrol, hwy patrol, processing, backing up agents that catch 30 + aliens thousands of pounds of dope.  youre right it is very unsafe but our government doesnt support us like they do other agencies, were the bastard child of the government.  

That sucks.  What you guys do is vital and very, very important. Kudos to you.  Wish you had more support.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 11:36:08 AM EDT
[#6]

That sucks.  What you guys do is vital and very, very important. Kudos to you.  Wish you had more support.

thanks, but with politicians pandering for the hispanic vote, we won't see much difference, until, like michael savage said it, there is a terroist attack and they determined they came in through our poreous borders.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 11:37:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 11:37:32 AM EDT
[#8]

Yes, but the bleeding-heart left and the La Raza/Aztlan types would have you believe that any actions taken to secure the border have a racist underpinning and shouldn't be allowed for "humanitarian reasons".

FUCK YOU!
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 11:37:39 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just wondering, with the situation as bad as it is, why is the government so hostile to civilian groups like civil homland defense and Ranch Rescue and the like. I'm sure some of the RR hostility might be because they go out so armed, and I know CHD allows members to carry pistols(for their protection). But are there other reasons(ones that are valid, I don't being armed a valid reason) that they don't like these groups?
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 11:41:27 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Yes, but the bleeding-heart left and the La Raza/Aztlan types would have you believe that any actions taken to secure the border have a racist underpinning and shouldn't be allowed for "humanitarian reasons".

FUCK YOU!

This reactive approach to border security is stupid.  It's not racist.  They don't belong here.  And in a post 9-11 environment, it's just plain stupid not to shoot on sight.  A shoot on sight order is the solution.  Yes it would be nasty in the beginning, but it would solve the problem.  Nobody, and I mean no friggin body should be allowed to illegally cross our soverign border in this day and age.  it's just plain stupid and inviting dirty bomb disaster.  It sucks that we are going to have to weather another disaster before anything is done.  And I ain't no racist.  My wife is hispanic.  It's a matter of national securitahh
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 11:41:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Paul gets it.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 11:49:30 AM EDT
[#12]

Just wondering, with the situation as bad as it is, why is the government so hostile to civilian groups like civil homland defense and Ranch Rescue and the like. I'm sure some of the RR hostility might be because they go out so armed, and I know CHD allows members to carry pistols(for their protection). But are there other reasons(ones that are valid, I don't being armed a valid reason) that they don't like these groups?

I have never worked with these groups but I've heard from agents that have and they don't have a problem with there help, its the judges, politicians, us attorneys that have problems.  it has been said that they throw out smuggling cases when these civilian groups apprehend smuggled aliens and dope.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 11:50:37 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
The problem is that the only states that think the southern border is a problem are CA, AZ, MN and TX ... until the next Al Qadia attack comes from illegals crossing these state's borders. The federal government is so frickin deep into a million things that they don't belong in that they don't have the money to actually do one of the most important federal jobs - protecting the nation. We've got better federal protection for the spotted owls and snail darters then we have for the citizens of the border states.

Our roads are clogged with uninsured, unregistered, unlicensed and polution spewing cars of the illegals. Their kids fill the schools to over load and they demand spanish language classes. The hosipitals are filled with them as they use the emergency services as their primary care providers. The illegals suck $5,000,000,000.00 in tax dollars EVERY YEAR from California ALONE.

It's time for action.

I see the problem I'm not in any of those states. But I do agree with you 100%.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 11:53:31 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Paul gets it.

Yep. Except Minnesota doesn't have a border with Mexico.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 11:54:21 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I have never worked with these groups but I've heard from agents that have and they don't have a problem with there help, its the judges, politicians, us attorneys that have problems.  it has been said that they throw out smuggling cases when these civilian groups apprehend smuggled aliens and dope.

Damn thats some shit. They get free help with a major problem and they just throw shit out like garbage on garbage day....
Thanks for being out there for us.

I hope it didn't seem like I was saying the officers have a problem with these groups, I ment the "brass" and politicos and such.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 11:58:05 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
The problem is that the only states that think the southern border is a problem are CA, AZ, MN and TX ... until the next Al Qadia attack comes from illegals crossing these state's borders. The federal government is so frickin deep into a million things that they don't belong in that they don't have the money to actually do one of the most important federal jobs - protecting the nation. We've got better federal protection for the spotted owls and snail darters then we have for the citizens of the border states.

Our roads are clogged with uninsured, unregistered, unlicensed and polution spewing cars of the illegals. Their kids fill the schools to over load and they demand spanish language classes. The hosipitals are filled with them as they use the emergency services as their primary care providers. The illegals suck $5,000,000,000.00 in tax dollars EVERY YEAR from California ALONE.

It's time for action.

I have an unconfirmed report that scum involved in a terrorist bombing have been captured near Calexico/Mexicali........... Maybe the Khobar towers bombing?
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 11:58:42 AM EDT
[#17]
The problem is the current catch and release program we are using.
I gar-un-tee you if the illegals were handcuffed to the chain link border fence we DON'T have, shot and left to rot, this invasion would stop pretty damn quick.

As it is now, until Osama Bin Laden is caught crossing the border with a backpack nuke, nothing is going to change.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 12:00:46 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
The problem is the current catch and release program we are using.
I gar-un-tee you if the illegals were handcuffed to the chain link border fence we DON'T have, shot and left to rot, this invasion would stop pretty damn quick.

As it is now, until Osama Bin Laden is caught crossing the border with a backpack nuke, nothing is going to change.

True that.  Sneaking into the greatest superpower on earth should have greater consequences for certain.  I just don't understand the relaxed attitude.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 12:05:03 PM EDT
[#19]

True that.  Sneaking into the greatest superpower on earth should have greater consequences for certain.  I just don't understand the relaxed attitude.

ONCE AGAIN, PANDERING FOR THE HISPANIC VOTE.  what is there not to understand.  I'm not being rude, but this is the major problem, not only in the southern sates, every where including hawaii and alaska.  I can understand prior to 9/11, but after its the vote the politicians are after not your well being, or security.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 12:06:49 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

ONCE AGAIN, PANDERING FOR THE HISPANIC VOTE.  what is there not to understand.  I'm not being rude, but this is the major problem, not only in the southern sates, every where including hawaii and alaska.  I can understand prior to 9/11, but after its the vote the politicians are after not your well being, or security.

That's why we gotta quit electing career politicians.  Not that Arnold was the best choice for Kalifonia.  But we need to forge some serious change in who we elect to rule.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 12:31:38 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Not dumping on you personally, but I'm offended by the now broad and ill-applied use of the term Hispanic. These people are Latinos... not Hispanic. Hispanic is Latin for Spain and Spain is a european country.

Dictionary term:
"Hispanic can be used in referring to Spain and its history and culture; a native of Spain residing in the United States is a Hispanic, not a Latino, and one cannot substitute Latino in the phrase the Hispanic"

Sorry, but I am not fond of Mexican latinos and I especially LOATHE when people use the term Hispanic for MEXICANS. Mostly because my mothers side of the family are decendants of Spain, and they feel the same way.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 12:39:10 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not dumping on you personally, but I'm offended by the now broad and ill-applied use of the term Hispanic. These people are Latinos... not Hispanic. Hispanic is Latin for Spain and Spain is a european country.

Dictionary term:
"Hispanic can be used in referring to Spain and its history and culture; a native of Spain residing in the United States is a Hispanic, not a Latino, and one cannot substitute Latino in the phrase the Hispanic"

Sorry, but I am not fond of Mexican latinos and I especially LOATHE when people use the term Hispanic for MEXICANS. Mostly because my mothers side of the family are decendants of Spain, and they feel the same way.

sorry to burst your bubble, I come from a mexican family, personally I consider my self American, but mexicans are called mestizos, half aztec indian half spanish from Spain, as in Cabeza de vaca, and the rest of the spanish conquistadors who went to mexico back in the day stole the gold killed the men and raped the women and then settled in mexico, so I consider mexicans Hispancs.  Ask any mexican and they'll tell you they are hispanic and not latinos.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 12:41:07 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
[  Ask any mexican and they'll tell you they are hispanic and not latinos.

True.  But we are Texans talking to a Californian.  I am sure you will agree.  Our hispanics consider latinos the Peurto Ricans and other Floridian immigrants.
Now where's that darn Cowbell?
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 12:42:41 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:
[  Ask any mexican and they'll tell you they are hispanic and not latinos.

True.  But we are Texans talking to a Californian.  I am sure you will agree.  Our hispanics consider latinos the Peurto Ricans and other Floridian immigrants.

true dat
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 12:44:15 PM EDT
[#25]
If you call a hispanic a Latino here in Tejas your prolly gonna have a fight on your hands.  Mexicans in texas are Hispanics.  Not trying to flame Californians.  We must just have a different slang here.  And No, I'm a white boy!
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 12:57:24 PM EDT
[#26]
I had a Mexican guy ask me once "Chu got a problem with Latins" when I cited his drunk ass for camping on railroad property. "Sir, Latin is a dead language. No mas cervezas...wino"
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 12:57:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 1:02:07 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dictionary term:

sorry to burst your bubble, I come from a mexican family, personally I consider my self American, but mexicans are called mestizos, half aztec indian half spanish from Spain, as in Cabeza de vaca, and the rest of the spanish conquistadors who went to mexico back in the day stole the gold killed the men and raped the women and then settled in mexico, so I consider mexicans Hispancs.  Ask any mexican and they'll tell you they are hispanic and not latinos.

That is your opinion. What I posted was mine (and proper terms from an English Dictionary). I have no lineage to the Mexican indians, so I am offended by the people of Spain being grouped into that race for no other reasons than ignorance of proper term usage.

I'm aware of the term Mestizos, but not every Mexican citizen is one. When you see alot of "Mexicans" you can see the stark contrasts between the predominantly Spanish, the Mestizos, and the Mexican Indian, even though they may all be "Mexican citizens." Like in America, we have whites and Blacks and Mixes... but they are all still "Americans," and we dont mince terms between black & white. I should have used the term Mexican Indian or Mestizo, instead of Latino. But Latino is a term which blankets all races in Central/South America. Hispanic only covers (or at least should by proper term) the European country of Spain, but unfortunately is applied to Central/South American countries as well; probably because of the island of Hispaniola (Spanish Island - Named by Colombus) which is now Haiti & Dominican Republic.

I also have a friend who is Mexican and he hates the term Hispanic likewise. He always chooses "Other" and writes "Mexican" next to it instead of selecting "Hispanic". His opinion is that only Indians are allowed to call themselves Mexicans (he is very proud of his heritage).
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 1:11:07 PM EDT
[#29]

That is your opinion. What I posted was mine (and proper terms from an English Dictionary). I have no lineage to the Mexican indians, so I am offended by the people of Spain being grouped into that race for no other reasons than ignorance of proper term usage.

I'm aware of the term Mestizos, but not every Mexican citizen is one. When you see alot of "Mexicans" you can see the stark contrasts between the predominantly Spanish, the Mestizos, and the Mexican Indian, even though they may all be "Mexican citizens." Like in America, we have whites and Blacks and Mixes... but they are all still "Americans," and we dont mince terms between black & white. I should have used the term Mexican Indian or Mestizo, instead of Latino. But Latino is a term which blankets all races in Central/South America. Hispanic only covers the European country of Spain, but unfortunately is applied to Central/South American countries as well; probably because of the island of Hispaniola (Spanish Island - Named by Colombus) which is now Haiti & Dominican Republic.

I also have a friend who is Mexican and he hates the term Hispanic likewise. He always chooses "Other" and writes "Mexican" next to it instead of selecting "Hispanic". His opinion is that only Indians are allowed to call themselves Mexicans (he is very proud of his heritage).

Hispanic is a term for SPANISH speaking people, to include central and soth america, also used to describe a person from spain.  
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 1:12:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Dunno about you.  I call a person from Spain a Spainard.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 1:14:30 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Dunno about you.  I call a person from Spain a Spainard.

Bingo, I hadn't thought about that but youre right.  Always one step ahead troll
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 1:26:22 PM EDT
[#32]
Thanks, Troll. Spainard works too... but you rarely here anybody of Spanish decent referred to as such, they are often called Hispanic. Which is where I am coming from in my arguement. Because of the fact Hispanic is also clumped with peoples of Spain.

But some people from Spain dont always refer to themselves as a Spainard! Most often people refer to themselves first by their region. Kind of like Californian, or Texan, before American.

And nchapa, you are right that Hispanic is a term used for Spanish speaking people too, not necassarily from Spain. I was wrong.

What can I say, I am prejudiced and don't like when people refer to Hispanics as both a people of Spain and anybody from a "Latino" country that can speak Spanish. The Spanish they speak in Latino countries is more like the Ebonics of English anyway.

ETA: what I mean by Latino is Central & South America and its Islands
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 1:31:47 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Thanks, Troll. Spainard works too... but you rarely here anybody of Spanish decent referred to as such, they are often called Hispanic. Which is where I am coming from in my arguement. Because of the fact Hispanic is also clumped with peoples of Spain.

But some people from Spain dont always refer to themselves as a Spainard! Most often people refer to themselves first by their region. Kind of like Californian, or Texan, before American.

And nchapa, you are right that Hispanic is a term used for Spanish speaking people too, not necassarily from Spain. I was wrong.

What can I say, I am prejudiced and don't like when people refer to Hispanics as both a people of Spain and anybody from a "Latino" country that can speak Spanish. The Spanish they speak in Latino countries is more like the Ebonics of English anyway.

I went to spain they said I had an accent, I told they did, anyways youre right I dont like being called hispanic latino or mexican, I'm American damn it.  Lets get back to the subject at hand and deprt all the illegals regardless of race, whose with me
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 1:34:40 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Texan, before American.

Not trying to piss anyone off here, but I like the way that sounds!
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 1:34:48 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I went to spain they said I had an accent, I told they did, anyways youre right I dont like being called hispanic latino or mexican, I'm American damn it.  Lets get back to the subject at hand and deprt all the illegals regardless of race, whose with me

Sounds good to me.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 1:35:45 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Texan, before American.

I might be living in Arizona soon. What is the correct term for that? Arizonian?
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 1:38:01 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Texan, before American.

I might be living in Arizona soon. What is the correct term for that? Arizonian?

How about Arizonite?  I lived in Phoenix for a few years.  Good gun law state.  Good freedom state.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 1:40:13 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Texan, before American.

How about Arizonite?  I lived in Phoenix for a few years.  Good gun law state.  Good freedom state.

I think this would make a good thread. I've always wondered what people from Chicago call themselves. Or Idaho, Idahoinite? or Idahoan? Sorry.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 2:20:53 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Texan, before American.

Zonie
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top