Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/25/2004 8:47:25 AM EDT

"So far, John Kerry has been the direct beneficiary of an estimated $60 million worth of 'independent' TV ads, many of which viciously attack President Bush. ... Democrat 527 organizations, so-named for the IRS section that governs them, have been saturating the airwaves and cable channels, supplementing Mr. Kerry's own bulging campaign coffers.
Democrat 527s have overwhelmed their Republican counterparts, effectively permitting Mr. Kerry to monopolize this McCain-Feingold soft-money loophole.
The relatively tiny effort by the Swift Boat Veterans for Truth proves the point, which The New York Times completely missed in its Page 1 story on Friday.
Instead, the NYT was upset over the fact that the veterans received $225,000 of its initial $500,000 stake from two Texans. The amounts were $200,000 from real estate executive Bob Perry, whom the NYT identified as 'the top donor to Republicans in the state,' and $25,000 from Harlan Crow, 'the seventh-largest donor to Republicans' in Texas.

By the standards established by Democrat 527 donors, Mr. Perry would be a piker, while Mr. Crow's contribution would not even qualify as a rounding error. In fact, based on data compiled by the Center for Responsive Politics, 21 of the 22 individuals who have contributed at least $500,000 to 527s have donated a cumulative $56.7 million to Democrat-oriented groups.
These include Peter Lewis ($14 million), George Soros ($12.6 million) and Steven Bing ($8.1 million). The sole exception among the 22 is Carl Lindner, who has donated $1.02 million to Republican-oriented 527s. ... If Mr. Kerry is really looking for a smoking gun, he ought to examine the Media Fund (total receipts: $27.2 million), which is run by former Clinton Deputy Chief of Staff Harold Ickes, and America Coming Together (total receipts: $26.9 million).
The chief spokesman for both of these Democrat 527s is Jim Jordan, who happens to be Mr. Kerry's former campaign manager. Not surprising, a separate article appearing in Friday's New York Times regarding Federal Elections regulation of 527s mentioned Mr. Jordan in his capacity as spokesman for the Media Fund and ACT, but neglected to mention his Kerry connection." --The Washington Times

Ouch...That's gonna leave a mark!

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 8:51:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 9:00:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Well I agree with you Sweep.

I just find it funny that the Demz are trying to say that Bush is 'coordinating' all the ads against Kerry!

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 9:22:18 AM EDT
[#3]
The above message is one that the Bush campaign is not doing enough to promote. The public is largely ignorant of the tremendous abuse by the left with the 527's. Kerry has already stuck his neck out by complaining about the one 527 that has been effective for the right - the Swift Vets ads. It's time to cut Kerry's over extended neck off at the shoulders with the facts about the 527's. The Democrats are even bragging on their own web site about coordinating the efforts with these 527's, which is a gross violation of the federal election laws. They have the most to lose, it's time for the Bush campaign to begin presenting the facts to the public.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 5:46:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Hell the Kerry campaign hired Zach Exley, the director of special projects for the MoveOn.org!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 6:49:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Link?
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 6:52:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 8:22:17 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Link?

To?

This?

Hell the Kerry campaign hired Zach Exley, the director of special projects for the MoveOn.org!!!!!

Gladly!

www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/04/07/kerry.exley/
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 8:37:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Only $13M for George Soros, whats the matter is he holding back?  I thought he was responsible for the full $60M.

The money has gone to the swing states
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 8:42:11 PM EDT
[#9]
If you want to know what the liberals are up to, listen and see what they are accusing Bush of.
They almost always accuse their opponent of whatever it is they are getting away with.
Not helping black people, unregulated campaign soft money spending, making health care worse, etc...  the list goes on and on...
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 8:47:02 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
If you want to know what the liberals are up to, listen and see what they are accusing Bush of.
They almost always accuse their opponent of whatever it is they are getting away with.
Not helping black people, unregulated campaign soft money spending, making health care worse, etc...  the list goes on and on...

Huh, kindof like the thread earlier today about women accusing their men of cheating on them.  Am I seeing a correlation?
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 10:46:25 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Link?

To?

This?

Gladly!

www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/04/07/kerry.exley/

Cool, thanks. I am also looking for the washington times link.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 8:58:02 AM EDT
[#12]
I'll try to get the link. I misplaced it here somewhere.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 9:07:25 AM EDT
[#13]
I love how the dems all whine that Bush is "connected" to the SwiftVets, because a "Texas republican" has donated to both the SwiftVets, AND the republicans.

It is such utter nonsense.

So all I have to do, is get out my checkbook, write a check to John Kerry AND one to MoveOn.
Presto!
They're now connected, and somehow criminal?
Liars.
No, worse than liars.  They are purveyors of innuendo, and all built on the assumption that Americans are too stupid to notice the truth.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 9:13:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 9:19:13 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
That's one of the twisted things about the democratic part IMO.

They claim to be for the people, equal bla bla bla  but when it comes to campaign finance, MOST of their money comes from a handful of people, where the Republican Party gets most of its money from lots of small donations.

Proof?  
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 9:19:42 AM EDT
[#16]
I have said time and time again that Democratic 527s are kicking the Republican 527s' asses (are there any other than SBVFT?).

The whole campaign finance reform stuff is a load of crap, and it affects everyone down to the county party level. My county chairman has a thick book dealing only with the new campaign finance regs. It's a real PITA for the party.

I can't believe Kerry would even have the audacity to criticize a Republican 527, after what MoveOn.Org and ACT have done.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 9:22:31 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I love how the dems all whine that Bush is "connected" to the SwiftVets, because a "Texas republican" has donated to both the SwiftVets, AND the republicans.

It is such utter nonsense.

No kidding.  All the commotion because the SwiftVet funds came from major Republican donors, some who happen to be from Texas.  Who the heck did they expect to donate to an anti-Kerry group?  Communist Norweigans???
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 9:25:19 AM EDT
[#18]
Not to mention....

...most VETERANS are republicans.

....99% of veteran OFFICERS are republicans.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 9:26:19 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 9:28:22 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
IMHO, this shouldn't even be an issue. The Campaign Finance reform is in direct violation of the 1st Amendment and it's beyond me why the SCOTUS upheld it or why Bush signed it into law to begin with.

Because the SCOTUS isnt in the best interest of the people or the constitution.  Fuck them, even if John Kerry does get to appoint 2 of them to the court its not gonna make a difference since they are already making unconstitutional rulings
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 9:31:49 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
That's one of the twisted things about the democratic part IMO.

They claim to be for the people, equal bla bla bla  but when it comes to campaign finance, MOST of their money comes from a handful of people, where the Republican Party gets most of its money from lots of small donations.

Proof?  

The stats from the 2000 election's donations showed this.
The democrats subsist on large donations, the republicans on more, smaller donations.
I recall this was fact.
Link?
Do a search.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 9:35:51 AM EDT
[#22]
What really has pissed me off is Bush talking about silencing  "shadowy" outside groups financing the ads.  

Last time I checked, the First Amendment was first and foremost about protecting political speech.  These groups are the essence of political speech and Bush wants to silence them? He now wants to pursue court action according to the latest news stories.    

I simply cannot understand what is wrong with people forming a group, funding it, and buying ad time in order to voice their political opinion.  The discussion boggles my mind and makes it seem as if we are living in 1930's Germany.  
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 9:38:46 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
What really has pissed me off is Bush talking about silencing  "shadowy" outside groups financing the ads.  

If you're talking about Bush suggesting that the SBVFT stop, that's a political checkmate to the Kerry campaign.

Bush CAN'T legally tell them to stop. Legally he can't touch them or tell them what to do. If he says "you guys should stop" and they keep running anti-Kerry ads, he's won all around.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 9:40:19 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 9:45:04 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
IMHO, this shouldn't even be an issue. The Campaign Finance reform is in direct violation of the 1st Amendment and it's beyond me why the SCOTUS upheld it or why Bush signed it into law to begin with.

Thanks for posting that so I wouldn't have to type it myself.

+1
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top