Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/1/2001 4:51:21 AM EDT
Hello all.  I am about to give my 2 weeks notice here at my suck-ass job.  Both my supervisors are brown noseing yes-men-suck-ups and I need some advise on what to write (seriously), I've never written a 2 weeks notice, this has been my only job.
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 5:00:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 5:07:18 AM EDT
[#2]
I am with striker...

ANYTHING you EVER write, has the potential to be used against you. Verbal is your word against theirs. If they suck like you suggest, verbal will leave you open to THEIR story, but also gives them NO concrete proof.

My last job, it was REAL simple....'Next Friday will be my next day here. I need to get back to work, I have things I am SURE you would like wrapped up'
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 5:08:55 AM EDT
[#3]
I've written many of them.

Bear in mind that you do not want to burn bridges. You may go back to this company ever again, however people know people. In my industry job hopping is norm and people interact with ech other at some point.

So here's how you should format it.

Joe Bob Bitchin
Suck ass Co
666 Devils Dr.
Anytown USA

RE: Ltr of Resignation

Dear sir

[Write how you enjoyed working there however, your reason for leaving(be tactful). Give them your last date of work] Keep it short. Do not go into great detail. This will be kept in your employee folder at this company.

Best regards,

Joe Servant

CC: H.R.
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 5:16:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Writing a resignation letter is the "prefossional" thing to do. But like  what many said here it is in writing, so do not use any derogatory comment. Make it short sweet concise and unbiased. It is also proof that you did not abondon your job and that you left in good terms. Your terms.
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 5:23:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Yea, I will write something.  I think I should keep it short and to the point.  Something like, advancing my career, bla, bla
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 5:32:01 AM EDT
[#6]
kingfish,
I usually write something like:  "This letter shall serve to inform you of my resignation from the staff of (Company) at the close of business on......".  That is something they can put in your "permanent record".  If they want to follow up with a face-to-face discussion about your reasons for leaving, it is all verbal with no written record.  Even then, I would be frank, but courteous, even though it has been difficult at times for me.  Just my $.02.
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 5:42:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Kissel, I agree.  I'll keep it short and to the point, not showing anything negative with my current position.  If anyone wants to know where I am going they can ask.  I couldnt give 2 shits about this place (after 10 years) but I wont burn any bridges (even though I'd love to put a flamethrower to some).

I'd love to write how I'll be making more than my supervisers in a short time, but gloating isnt my thing.
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 5:47:02 AM EDT
[#8]
The norm is 2 weeks, because of that, I have typically always submitted them 3 weeks in advance.

My rational for doing this was to help train my replacement and get a great reference for having done so.

---------------------------

I did submit a letter once though, where 2 of us resigned on 1 letter. We were the only 2 guys in one very important department!  In doing so, we also unleashed hell on a manager that we despised and then walked out the day after she left on a 2 week vacation.  Our "3 week" letter was submitted to her boss the day before she left and so she thought she was in good shape until she returned... NOT!  We made a power play that cost her ([i]and other management[/i]) in a big way, and then we just started our new jobs immediately!

I don't suggest many people do what we did, but it worked out exactly as we had planned, and the entire "corrupt" management structure collapsed, making for a better work environment for the remaining employees!  [-!-]
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 5:51:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Try not to bad-mouth your old company for the moment anyways, because eventually it will get back to them.  And some folks don't want to really listen either.  Anyways good luck in your new job.
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 5:51:40 AM EDT
[#10]
kingfish-

I've formulated a letter for you. Feel free to plagiarize.

Dear Sirs:

On [insert appropriate day here,] you can take this job, and SHOVE it.

respectfully,

kingfish

[}:D]

Link Posted: 6/1/2001 5:53:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
kingfish-

I've formulated a letter for you. Feel free to plagiarize.

Dear Sirs:

On [insert appropriate day here,] you can take this job, and SHOVE it.

respectfully,

kingfish

[}:D]

View Quote

Ha ha!  Thats what our secretary said I should write!
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 6:03:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Be aware that they might not let you stay there your full last 2 weeks.  I give my company a months notice and they said "Yer outa here" a couple days after I turned in my letter.

I had my letter with me when I went for my annual review and was expecting the same schpeel I got last time....You make more than anyone else in your position now.  No we cannot make an exception.   Here's your 2%, take it or leave it.  

That's exactly the way It went and I said I'll leave and whip out the old letter.

Dear (boss)

This letter is to inform (company) that the (date) will be my last day of employment.

I am resigning to pursue other interests.

Sincerely

Me
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 6:08:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Kingfish

You do not need to say anything other than that you are resigning your position and the effective date. Something like:

This letter is to serve notice that I hearby resign my position effective Friday xx/xx/xx.

Sincerely
Kingfish

Remember never burn a bridge it may come back to haunt you. The boss you try to screw may be in a  position to screw you in return later. And in some cases some of the people you hate may be trapped by their position and hate the place just as much as you.

Link Posted: 6/1/2001 6:17:40 AM EDT
[#14]
I agree with Rusty, you don't need to tell them anything except that you are leaving.  It's best not to, especially if you are leaving because you are disgruntled...which is exactly when you are most tempted to spill your guts.

I would also add:  Don't let yourself get sucked into a "Dale Carnegie" type exit interview.  Just tell them you are quitting and there is nothing to discuss.
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 6:31:07 AM EDT
[#15]
Oh, and take your paid vacation before you resign.  

My last company refused to pay me for about two weeks of vacation that I had earned when I quit.  (But if I had been fired they would have paid.  Go figure)

Link Posted: 6/1/2001 6:46:26 AM EDT
[#16]
> Use Lordtrader's format.

> NO negativity ( " I am leaving to pursue other options." )

You should also thank them for the opportunity to work with/for them.  Even though you might gag at the thought.  This will be part of your record with that company.

Remember:  It is a very, very, very small world.  You WILL encounter some of these people again in your future.  It might even be indirectly through a third party.  You don't want to pollute the waters you swim in.
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 6:47:35 AM EDT
[#17]
Thanks for the info guys.  As for paid leave, I was told a few months back, that they have to pay me for unused annual leave.  I have a little over 2 weeks AL left, so I plan to get a check for it.  Unless they try to screw me.

Heres what I want to write:

"I have been offered and accepted the opportunity to take my career in a direction that is more
beneficial to me.  As of this memo, this is my two weeks notice terminating my employment with
XXXX.  My last day of employment will be May 15, 2001."

How's that?

Link Posted: 6/1/2001 7:01:18 AM EDT
[#18]
That's good, short and to the point.

I have been offered no writing during gang layoffs, just hand out 2-week severance checks, bird salute, and then lots of good play time.
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 8:21:06 AM EDT
[#19]
Leave off the first sentence of that letter.  If they ask you, tell them you are leaving for morey money.  They may try to make a counter offer and beg you to stay.  Let the grovel awhile and then say, "I've already made a commitment and feel I must honor it".  

As a side note, I gave my courtesy notice at one company.  They said "here is 2 weeks pay - don't let the door hit you...".

------------------

Dear Company X,

As of this memo, this is my two weeks notice terminating my employment.  My last day of employment will be May 15, 2001.
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 8:24:15 AM EDT
[#20]
Personally, I would leave off the "How's that?" part!  [:D]
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 8:25:35 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Thanks for the info guys.  As for paid leave, I was told a few months back, that they have to pay me for unused annual leave.  I have a little over 2 weeks AL left, so I plan to get a check for it.  Unless they try to screw me.

Heres what I want to write:

"I have been offered and accepted the opportunity to take my career in a direction that is more
beneficial to me.  As of this memo, this is my two weeks notice terminating my employment with
XXXX.  My last day of employment will be May 15, 2001."

How's that?

View Quote

Sounds good,

Hey, when you are done with that time machine that's taking you back the the beginning of May, let me borrow it.  I want to go back and change my decision on taking my job 2 years ago.
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 8:45:23 AM EDT
[#22]
So you were talking about your two weeks [b]ago[/b] notice.
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 9:05:14 AM EDT
[#23]
I can't agree more with the "don't burn your bridges" advice.  I was scapegoated and fired from a job about 20 years ago.  At the "exit interview" I just said "I think you're mistaken, but your the boss" and left.  @ days later I'm interviewing and I tell the new employer that I weas fired from my last job and that I believe that it was political.  Turns out this guy (interviewer) is very good friends with the guy who fired me!  Was so impressed with how I didn't bitch/whine/throw blame that he hired me on the spot.  Next time he saw his "good friend" he told him he was a putz for firing  me.  I went on to do good things at my new job.
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 9:05:48 AM EDT
[#24]
I can't agree more with the "don't burn your bridges" advice.  I was scapegoated and fired from a job about 20 years ago.  At the "exit interview" I just said "I think you're mistaken, but your the boss" and left.  @ days later I'm interviewing and I tell the new employer that I weas fired from my last job and that I believe that it was political.  Turns out this guy (interviewer) is very good friends with the guy who fired me!  Was so impressed with how I didn't bitch/whine/throw blame that he hired me on the spot.  Next time he saw his "good friend" he told him he was a putz for firing  me.  I went on to do good things at my new job.

"There's no percentage in being an asshole."
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 9:50:13 AM EDT
[#25]
May 15?  What the heck was I thinking?  Thank you Mr. M15A2!
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 10:15:53 AM EDT
[#26]
Yes, don't burn bridges. You will be surprised at how many times you will cross paths with former co-workers and bosses especially in todays economy. I've changed jobs so many times, I've become a professional resignation letter writer. Some of the most recent video game companies that I worked for really deserved a full napalm salvo but I kept it professional and I even threw in a few "kiss ass" compliments. "I am sure that " " will be a big success...full of innovative technologies and graphics...I wish everyone the best...I am just going to pursue other jobs interests at this time"...etc. One of my former employers was Dreamworks Int, not an entity that you really want on your bad side when out looking for work. My former producer is currently the current project leader for the X-box. And I see former co-workers all the time, they're always looking for people to hire.
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 7:16:42 PM EDT
[#27]

Had a former agency I resigned from try some back-door character assasination after I left. Some of the guys were spreading lies around to the point I ended up having to defend myself (and unleash hell on them). Luckily, I had my 'I'm leaving' letter, and the boss' 'thanks-good terms' letter, so needless to say, I won, and got my rep back. Yeah, that bridge is NUKED.....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top