No one's saying you can't carry a gun.
You just can't carry one in town.

Link Posted: 8/25/2004 4:23:08 AM EDT
[#1]
You just noticed?
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 4:27:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Never watched it before.
Another fine ARF.com recommended film....

Quoted:
You just noticed?

Link Posted: 8/25/2004 4:28:18 AM EDT
[#3]
It also wasn't very historically accurate
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 4:29:03 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm Your Hucklebery.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 5:39:52 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Actually, while it indeed took some liberties, it's the most historically accurate Wyatt Earp movie made so far.
And as for the movie being anti-gun...no, it wasn't.  It simply portrayed what happened.  And for those who blame the Earps for the gun ordnance, it was not original to them:  MOST cowtowns and boomtowns had those ordnances in the 1880s.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 5:41:14 AM EDT
[#6]
good flick
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 5:44:45 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
It's anti-gun!!

No one's saying you can't own a gun.

www.vaq34.com/junk/vb1.jpg

It's the same in Gunfight at the OK Corral.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 5:46:49 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
It's anti-gun!!

Probably because it was the same in real life.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 5:47:24 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
It's anti-gun!!

Probably because it was the same in real life.

Exactly.  

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 5:50:22 AM EDT
[#10]
You shouldn't need a gun in town as the Law Enforcement Officials will protect you!

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 5:51:59 AM EDT
[#11]
One of Kurt Russell's best performances, other than Big Trouble in Little China!
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 5:54:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Actually it was a pretty good flick.

Not good enough to go pay to see it at the movies or rent it from cockbuster, good enough to catch it on HBO, not good enough to watch it on TV and deal with the commercials.

I don't think I missed anything by waiting 11 years to see it.

The whole Dana Delany / Kurt Russell thing didn't work, and the "kill everything" at the end was silly.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 5:55:41 AM EDT
[#13]
You need to watch Miracle, the story about the 1980 US Olympic Hocky team.
That was Kurt Russell's best performance.

Computer Wore Tennis Shoes was ok too....

Quoted:
One of Kurt Russell's best performances, other than Big Trouble in Little China!

Link Posted: 8/25/2004 5:58:22 AM EDT
[#14]
"Well, you gonna do something, or are you just gonna stand there and bleed?"
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 6:01:41 AM EDT
[#15]
Aren't you even gonna kiss her goodbye??......................................Nope
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 6:11:39 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 6:26:16 AM EDT
[#17]
Tombstone the movie=GOOD

Tombstone the town=BIG DISAPPOINTMENT
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 6:27:37 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Tombstone the movie=GOOD

I've been there three times and I enjoyed it.  
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 6:41:04 AM EDT
[#19]
Then you must enjoy tourist trap "artsy fartsy" shops, horrible food, and really, REALLY hokey shootout re-enactments.

I was emabrrassed after taking my brother from St. Louis there when he visited last year. A waste of his good vacation time.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 6:48:38 AM EDT
[#20]
The part that gets me is the requirement of the law that - if you're going to have a gun in town - you have to carry it IN YOUR HAND.  This was really the law in many places!
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 6:53:08 AM EDT
[#21]
"Wyatt Earp" with Kevin Costner was better.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 6:53:25 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Then you must enjoy tourist trap "artsy fartsy" shops, horrible food, and really, REALLY hokey shootout re-enactments.

I didn't really go to many of the shops, and I didn't eat anything but a candy bar, so I can't speak to those.  I did see the reenactment and it was a bit hokey, but it was fun...and I got to talk at length with the reenactors about guns, the old west, etc.  Have pics of myself with them.
I enjoyed seeing the history of the place.  Also enjoyed talking with the guy at Spangenbergs and with the bartenders at the various places.  DID imbibe some various adult beverages.  
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 6:53:56 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

No, it wasn't.  It was a horrible travesty once they got to Tombstone.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 6:54:59 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Tombstone the movie=GOOD

yeah, no guns, what a let down....
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 6:55:25 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually, while it indeed took some liberties, it's the most historically accurate Wyatt Earp movie made so far.
And as for the movie being anti-gun...no, it wasn't.  It simply portrayed what happened.  And for those who blame the Earps for the gun ordnance, it was not original to them:  MOST cowtowns and boomtowns had those ordnances in the 1880s.

+1

It really compressed time more than anything. After seeing the film I was sparked to research the subject. I found interesting touches. In the film, Johnny Ringo was shot by Doc in the head. In reality, Johnny Ringo (who mave been named Johnny Rheingold) was indeed found outside of town with a bulit in the head. The ambush of Whyatt's posse in the 3rd act, when he kills Curly Bill, actually happened. I know it seems hard to believe, but I read an eyewitness account that described an ambush where Wyatt charges out into the stream shooting, breaking the attack. Afterwards it was discovered that he had a large number of near misses that holed his clothing, including several that went between his legs and holed a long coat. I wish they could have included the other Earp brothers and Bat Masterson, but they ran the risk of too many characters. Interesting that Earp made his name as a very effective lawman, even though his most common way with dealing with scofflaws was pistol whipping, which is why the Dodge City council wanted him out....unti the SHTF and they asked him back!

Edited to add: OK Corral was very accurate according to lots of the eyewitness accounts.

It's a shame that Kevin Costner was allowed to make the other Earp film.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 6:57:35 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

I usually tell people to watch it (with plenty of coffee ) and then turn it off when they get to to Tombstone. Then watch "Tombstone."
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 7:03:41 AM EDT
[#27]
Tombstone - Great Movie

Wyatt Earp - Snoozefest..........

IMHO
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 9:08:54 AM EDT
[#28]
Anybody like Silverado? I really enjoy that movie, oh and Big Trouble in Little China!!!

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 11:03:54 AM EDT
[#29]
That movie had some of the best lines ever.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 11:08:34 AM EDT
[#30]
WTF is this SHIT???? Tombstone SUCKED ASS.

"We're the cowboys and we wear red sashes."

WTF??? Was this the Arizona Territory 1880-1881? Or was it South Central present day?
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 11:30:25 AM EDT
[#31]
Actually, according to my research, the "kill everything" part isn't that far from fact either.

Also, the Clantons, McLowerys, and others did have a loosly organized gang that the referred to as, brace yourselves, the Cowboys.

Link Posted: 8/25/2004 11:49:14 AM EDT
[#32]
I thought it was a good movie,but IMO Val Kilmer was kinda a homo...I much prefer Kirk Douglas in that role.

There's also an old version with James Garner that sorta sucks ass...too bad cause I love the guy.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 11:53:26 AM EDT
[#33]
I  think the best part is when ringo shoots the priest.  I have a tatto i drew up based on this character.

Ill be your huckle bery,  tombstone

Ill make you famous, young guns

how many does that make 25, thats 5 billy,  well make that 10. young guns

Link Posted: 8/25/2004 11:56:19 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Also, the Clantons, McLowerys, and others did have a loosly organized gang that the referred to as, brace yourselves, the Cowboys.

Not quite true.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 12:09:46 PM EDT
[#35]
I liked both movies, but still prefer Wyatt Earp to Tombstone. I saw Wyatt Earp first, so that may be part of the reason. But Tombstone just seemed a bit, I dunno, too flashy or something. And I like how Wyatt Earp took the time to actually show who he was and where he came from. Being Tombstone only showed half the story, it just felt like something was missing. But I will still watch either any time I catch them on the tube.

BTW, Val Kilmer never was one of my favorite actors, so I think that makes me like Tombstone a bit less.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 12:12:09 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
There's also an old version with James Garner that sorta sucks ass...too bad cause I love the guy.

It's called "Hour of The Gun." I would consider it so-so, definitely not as fuct up as "Tombstone."
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 12:12:38 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
I thought it was a good movie,but IMO Val Kilmer was kinda a homo...I much prefer Kirk Douglas in that role.

I thought he was a good college educated Southern gentleman type.

REAL "Doc"

Kilmer "Doc"

The Dennis Quaid doc was Great...in a different way. He seemed more like a man who knew the end was near, despite living years after Tombstone. It looks like they based his version on the more classic photos of an older more TB stricken Doc.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 12:19:27 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not quite true.

Depends on the source.

http://www.lawbuzz.com/famous_trials/wyatt_earp/wyatt_earp_ch2.htm
http://www.amwest-travel.com/awt_tombstone1.html
http://cp1237.com/frankandtom/cowboys.htm
http://www.bignosekate.com/bnkcowboys.htm

It seems that there are some conflicts between historians as to the truth in this matter. A quick search pulled up these sites which indicate that there was such a gang.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 1:01:07 PM EDT
[#39]
Do you like any gun?

BTW, many towns in the "wild" west were like that.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 1:10:17 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not quite true.

Depends on the source.

It seems that there are some conflicts between historians as to the truth in this matter. A quick search pulled up these sites which indicate that there was such a gang.

I would hardly consider them a "gang" or criminal enterprise. The Earp brothers and Holliday were certainly that. Read "Triggernometry."
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 1:13:10 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 1:17:33 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not quite true.

Depends on the source.

I would hardly consider them a "gang" or criminal enterprise. The Earp brothers and Holliday were certainly that. Read "Triggernometry."

Many signs seem to point to them being involved in cattle rustling, and other crimes. I do agree with you about the Earp brothers and Holliday. Thanks for the tip on the book. Who is the author?
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 1:21:30 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not quite true.

Depends on the source.

Many signs seem to point to them being involved in cattle rustling, and other crimes. I do agree with you about the Earp brothers and Holliday. Thanks for the tip on the book. Who is the author?

Signs based on accounts given by the Earps and their associates. According to Billy Breakenridge (poorly portrayed by that 90210 nitwit), that was not so. They weren't tried and convicted of anything. I also found it interesting that Wyatt Earp waited until 1929 to tell most of this (after most of the principals involved had died and could no longer refute anything he said or claimed).

"Triggernometry" was written by Eugene Cunningham (ISBN 0-8061-2837-2).
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 1:33:32 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 1:38:06 PM EDT
[#45]
What kind of truck do you drive?

Quoted:
You're whining about a movie being antigun for depicting history, yet you subscribe to HBO?!
Let me get you a big hot mug of something to drink.

Link Posted: 8/25/2004 1:38:52 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
WTF is this SHIT???? Tombstone SUCKED ASS.

No, actually it was a great movie.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 1:39:29 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not quite true.

Yes, actually it is true.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 1:40:02 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
I liked both movies, but still prefer Wyatt Earp to Tombstone. I saw Wyatt Earp first, so that may be part of the reason. But Tombstone just seemed a bit, I dunno, too flashy or something.  

It was more realistic...that's the way people dressed and talked historically.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 1:40:47 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
I would hardly consider them a "gang" or criminal enterprise.

But they were.

The Earp brothers and Holliday were certainly that. Read "Triggernometry."

No, they actually weren't.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 1:45:18 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I thought he was a good college educated Southern gentleman type.

REAL "Doc"
65.40.245.240/gallery/gunmen/docholdy.gif

Kilmer "Doc"
www.geocities.com/brookeandtanya.geo/val121.jpg

The Dennis Quaid doc was Great...in a different way. He seemed more like a man who knew the end was near, despite living years after Tombstone. It looks like they based his version on the more classic photos of an older more TB stricken Doc.

Could be that I just prefer Kirk Douglas in a western to Val Kilmer who always puts off a sorta metrosexual type a vibe IMO.

Not that I think he's a bad actor,loved him as Jim Morrison,just not one of my favorites.

As far as accuracy,I  know less than nothing about this story,but it would be hard to be a total flop with all the good actors(Bill Pullman,Sam Waterston,Kilmer and Russell(whom I thought put on a great act,specially since I'm used to seeing him in comedy)and Powers Booth....another actor I really like,but who struck me as almost the Las Vegas,Siegfried and Roy version of a cowboy,outlaw with his outfit and mannerisms(over acting?).

Everything was  just a little bit too polished in that movie,as opposed to say...Unforgivin,although I did find it entertaining,
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top