Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/24/2004 8:51:20 PM EDT
Am I the only one who's not in a mad rush to go out and hoard telestocks, FH and mags?

The way I figure it, there'll be a spike in price right after 9/13 due to the rush on those accessories. Demand will skyrocket, supplies will be short and prices will be high. But then after a few months when the frenzy subsides and Bush is reelected, things will calm down and prices will come back down to a reasonable level even lower than now.

And as far as there being a short window of time before the antis pass another, who cares? If the antis pass a new ban, the guns I have will either be grandfathered in regardless of whether I actually HAVE a telestock attached (who's to say I didn't?). If they pass a new ban, my current rifle will be just like the pre-bans of today so I can add a folding stock or FH anytime even after a ban. But if they don't grandfather in current rifles then we're all gonna be screwed.

Maybe I'm just not seeing the dots all connected so can someone please explain why the big rush to buy all that stuff immediately after the sunset?

Link Posted: 8/24/2004 9:02:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Well Im going to buy some stuff, Im not going to go burn every cent I got though.  I'll pickup some stuff I want and get more excess stuff later.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 9:04:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 9:05:06 PM EDT
[#3]
You're not the only one. It doesn't really change anything in Cali.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 9:05:19 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Simplify your life and just order a LE model AR15 ready to go.

Gee, now wherever can I find one of those? LOL
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 9:05:55 PM EDT
[#5]
... Heck yeah! Even got some preliminary work done last Saturday night with AZARFCOM members

... to wit:

Link Posted: 8/24/2004 9:06:27 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

do i smell a group buy?
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 9:07:25 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

do i smell a group buy?

I have been needing one..
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 9:09:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 9:09:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Well Omega, I'd would be preparing, but I've been laid off since mid-May, so buying new toys is a low priority.  Bummer.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 9:12:53 PM EDT
[#10]
WW has a nice assembly line going there.  Nice Kennedy boxes, also.

Is that one receiver .308? In that pic with the 4 sitting there - the one on the right.  Probably just my antique eyes...
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 9:13:26 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
... Heck yeah! Even got some preliminary work done last Saturday night with AZARFCOM members

Looks like you all had some fun!

But other than the jubiliation of just being able to (kinda like going out bar-hopping on your 21st birthday) what's the rush? I'm not saying theres' anything wrong with it, but a lot of folks here seem to be thinking that we all gotta hurry up convert our post-bans to pre-ban configuration before the next ban OR ELSE!

I just don't see the logic in that.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 9:17:13 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm stock piling M14 mags  and AR mags.

Ben
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 9:19:23 PM EDT
[#13]
If I ever get back to work...
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 9:21:36 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

... to wit:

[Snip, numerous evil images.]

Dear Lord, please keep ol' Sarah from viewing that horrible stuff.

Home grown, garage terrorists, caught in the act of 'manufacturing' BIG, BLACK, Child-Killin', Bullet Hoses.  

She'd stroke on out for sure.  
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 9:22:00 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

.... we all gotta hurry up convert our post-bans to pre-ban configuration before the next ban OR ELSE!

I just don't see the logic in that.

... consider this angle: John Kerry - President elect, November 2004
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 9:29:15 PM EDT
[#16]
And if President Kerry signs a new ban, what will that do? Either grandfather in my current rifles which means there's no rush to make them "prebans" because they'll already be that. OR the new ban won't include a grandfather provision and that means our rifles are banned REGARDLESS of whether they have telestocks and FHs or not.

Again, where's the logic in rushing out to convert them immediately?

I'm not arguing that there wont' be another ban or that kerry getting elected would be bad. But allour guns we have now will either be "prebans" or they'll all be banned completely(and in that case we're all screwed regardless of whether I have a telestock or not).

Link Posted: 8/24/2004 9:46:50 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Am I the only one who's not in a mad rush to go out and hoard telestocks, FH and mags?

The way I figure it, there'll be a spike in price right after 9/13 due to the rush on those accessories. Demand will skyrocket, supplies will be short and prices will be high. But then after a few months when the frenzy subsides and Bush is reelected, things will calm down and prices will come back down to a reasonable level even lower than now.

And as far as there being a short window of time before the antis pass another, who cares? If the antis pass a new ban, the guns I have will either be grandfathered in regardless of whether I actually HAVE a telestock attached (who's to say I didn't?). If they pass a new ban, my current rifle will be just like the pre-bans of today so I can add a folding stock or FH anytime even after a ban. But if they don't grandfather in current rifles then we're all gonna be screwed.

Maybe I'm just not seeing the dots all connected so can someone please explain why the big rush to buy all that stuff immediately after the sunset?

I care! I care that the .gov will be ass raping us and using the Constitution for "protection"... But, just as long as YOU have YOURS, everything is peachy huh? And, just HOW are we screwed if there's no grandfather clause?
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 9:51:21 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Actually your gun would have to b e in pre-ban status in order for it to be grandfathered in
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 9:53:45 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I care! I care that the .gov will be ass raping us and using the Constitution for "protection"... But, just as long as YOU have YOURS, everything is peachy huh? And, just HOW are we screwed if there's no grandfather clause?

Easy there big fella.

This thread is only about the "why the rush to convert".

It's not about how unconstitutional the ban is. We ALL know that already!

The reason we're all screwed if there's no grandfather clause is that it won't matter if you got a telestock or not, it's gonna be banned and you'll be a lawbreaker anyway if there's no grandfather clause.

Link Posted: 8/24/2004 10:04:29 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually your gun would have to be in pre-ban status in order for it to be grandfathered in

Who's to say it isn't in preban status after 9/13?

"Yep. I converted it on 9/13/04. So now (after the new ban passes) I'm just gonna buy a 6-stop telestock to "replace" the 4-stop telestock I bought back on 9/13."

And I aint gotta prove shit just like you all got no "proof" that you converted them on 9/13 at your 9/13/midnight garage party.

And there ain't no way in hell that any LEO can prove that I didn't have my rifle in a "preban" configuration prior to any new ban.

Link Posted: 8/24/2004 10:09:23 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually your gun would have to be in pre-ban status in order for it to be grandfathered in

Who's to say it isn't in preban status after 9/13?

"Yep. I converted it on 9/13/04. So now (after the new ban passes) I'm just gonna buy a 6-stop telestock to "replace" the 4-stop telestock I bought back on 9/13."

And I aint gotta prove shit just like you all got no "proof" that you converted them on 9/13 at your 9/13/midnight garage party.

And there ain't no way in hell that any LEO can prove that I didn't have my rifle in a "preban" configuration prior to any new ban.

Unfortunately for you, the poor wording of the ban would allow for seizure of your weapons for a period of time to determine whether or not they're "legal".
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 10:11:13 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Unfortunately for you, the poor wording of the ban would allow for seizure of your weapons for a period of time to determine whether or not they're "legal".

And yours too. Like I said, if there's no grandfather clause we're ALL screwed.

Hey, you're a cop. I stand corrected. They won't take yours.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 10:18:21 PM EDT
[#23]
In the 6 years under Clinton and 4 years under Bush the antis were unable to pass one piece of gun control legislation.  They couldn't even dispose of the 10 year sunset.  Gun Control isn't even being mentioned in the presidential election.  

Now, I might be dumb but there is going to be another ban passed because????
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 10:25:56 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Again, where's the logic in rushing out to convert them immediately?

Cuz it has been 10 freaking long, very long years waiting for this day, that is why.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 10:28:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Jubiliation I understand.

So many folks talking like they need to hurry up and stock up on telestocks and FHs before the next ban comes makes no sense at all.

Link Posted: 8/24/2004 10:35:31 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
So many folks talking like they need to hurry up and stock up on telestocks and FHs before the next ban comes makes no sense at all.

Yeah sure, we have a Republican House for at least two more years, so don't see a hurry in regards to getting rifles built to beat a ban.  Plus, if there ever was to be a new one, who is to say it would have a grandfather clause?
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 10:48:39 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah sure, we have a Republican House for at least two more years, so don't see a hurry in regards to getting rifles built to beat a ban.  Plus, if there ever was to be a new one, who is to say it would have a grandfather clause?

Did you even READ what I've been saying and asking in this thread?

I already covered all that.

Sheesh. You really gotta come to class prepared next time.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 11:09:44 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
You're not the only one. It doesn't really change anything in Cali.

John, you're funnin' us, right?  Any Kali postban is (poof) legally now a preban with a few nice parts.  At least mine are!
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 3:36:49 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 3:44:28 AM EDT
[#30]
For purposes of proof of pre-ban status, couldn't a person take his pre-ban configured rifles to a notary and have them documented as having all the evil features as of a given date?  Just looking for a sure way to provide proof if needed....   Comments?
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 3:49:34 AM EDT
[#31]
Staff a few receivers away with proof of purchase date.  Screw this notary talk.   The Feds will have to prove their case.  If it gets to the point we have to prove our innocense, then it's time for the barricades.  

I turn 50 next year.  I have given enough ground.  It's time to take a stand.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 3:51:31 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Staff a few receivers away with proof of purchase date.  Screw this notary talk.   The Feds will have to prove their case.  If it gets to the point we have to prove our innocense, then it's time for the barricades.  

I turn 50 next year.  I have given enough ground.  It's time to take a stand.

Sounds good - let me know how it turns out. I don't have time or money for a legal fight vs BATF.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 4:21:17 AM EDT
[#33]
I won't be rushing out to buy anything. I did, however, buy a few goodies several months ago. For now, they sit unassembled.

As far as notarizing or any bullshit like that, forget it. The weapons have serial numbers. They can just assume that all my rifles after 9/14/04 are evil ++.

If another ban does come along, my rifles will quickly be brought into "compliance".
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 4:52:17 AM EDT
[#34]
I don't understand the concern.

Pre-ban type uppers, barrels and parts are available right now and have been since the ban began.   There was no law against buying or owning them, just about putting them on a post ban receiver.   I don't know of anyone who doesn't already have a preban upper, tele stock etc ready to drop onto their soon-to-be no ban lower.

Don't forget that the congress is still controlled by the republicans and they most likely will not pass any new gun legislation.  I am sure it is just a matter of time before the tide changes back to a democRAT controlled house but  big deal.   Legislation can be watered down to the point that it really makes no difference.  

Other than the principle of the thing, the current ban did nothing to prevent us from having military type weapons.  ARs, AKs, SKSs etc have been readily available and are cheap.  I've had no problem finding hi-cap mags, flash hiders, pistol grips, threaded barrels etc.

Link Posted: 8/25/2004 5:30:56 AM EDT
[#35]
"And if President Kerry signs a new ban, what will that do? Either grandfather in my current rifles..."

How can anyone make assumptions about a future law?  What if a future law has no grandfathering provision, "Mr. and Mrs. America, turn them all in."?

And remember, the present, soon to be gone, AWB was passed only by ADDING the grandfather and sunset provisions.  As originally written it was permanent and worse.

I think we should work to see that no new legislation has these provisions, so that by the time it gets to the floor, it will be too offensive to pass.  The legislators need to envision door to door fighting caused by such a bill.  Blood would truly "flow in the streets".  

The bill is dead, gone, and there is no rush to get your stuff "grandfathered" for a future bill.

On the other hand, I want my goodies on NOW.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 5:41:21 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
And if President Kerry signs a new ban, what will that do? Either grandfather in my current rifles which means there's no rush to make them "prebans" because they'll already be that. OR the new ban won't include a grandfather provision and that means our rifles are banned REGARDLESS of whether they have telestocks and FHs or not.

I'd love to see them try and implement an ex-post-facto law.  The worst thing they could do would be to make them NFA weapons, which could eventually lead to confiscation.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 5:47:00 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

No.  I bought mine 7 years ago when I got my first AR.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 8:55:53 AM EDT
[#38]
Bumped because I'm still hoping someone can explain why they're in such a hurry to add evil features "before the next ban".
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 9:28:58 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Bumped because I'm still hoping someone can explain why they're in such a hurry to add evil features "before the next ban".

Cuz you can bet your ass, the next ban will be a total ban.  The anti's will use our own argument that the current ban only covers cosmetic features to ban all black rifles.  I will bet anyone 1000 bucks we see a total ban in the next 6 years.
Strange that all these witty folks here have not brought up the ammo concern.  These domestic terroists called Democrats are gonna tax your ammo to the point that any future gun ban won't matter.  You should be buying ammo, not a telestock or M4 upper.
It's going to reach the point that it won't matter what kind of gun you have.  It will be a matter of making it go boom.  Kinda like Mad Maxx.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 9:38:51 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Gee, now wherever can I find one of those? LOL

Shhh don't tell anyone. It's a secret.

got mine (although I can only grope it at my FFL until you know when)
.....Purebred Colt model LE6920......  from dealer on EE  no less

Link Posted: 8/25/2004 10:30:36 AM EDT
[#41]
I think its the same reason people want to open Christmas presents early. Its the same reason people want to do exactly opposite of what they are directed to. Being bad is GOOD

Thats the best I can guess. I have no plans to purchase anything because of the ban or lack of
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 10:38:16 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
In the 6 years under Clinton and 4 years under Bush the antis were unable to pass one piece of gun control legislation.  They couldn't even dispose of the 10 year sunset.  Gun Control isn't even being mentioned in the presidential election.  

Now, I might be dumb but there is going to be another ban passed because????

It isn't being mentioned because both sides know it's a loser.

BUT don't kid yourself: If JohnJohn wins the White House, gun control WILL be high on the agenda., and if he has a sympathetic Congress, there will be another more inclusive ans permanent ban.

Leopards and Democraps cannot change their spots.

SG
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 10:51:54 AM EDT
[#43]
Next ban will prolly put AWs on NFA registry and ban future manufacture.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 10:54:25 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Next ban will prolly put AWs on NFA registry and ban future manufacture.

As the gene pool weakens the dumocrats will try this for certain.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top