Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/24/2004 8:11:55 PM EDT
Dipping into the ARFCOM well of knowledge....

Problem,
Poor AM reception, lots of static.
   Occurs with engine running, but NOT tied to RPM.
   Additional static occurs with the fan running.
   When I turn the engine OFF, with key in ACC position, audio sounds clear.

I'm guessing I'll add filters to both the 12V power to the radio, and to the antenna lead.

Will that be enough, or do I need to replace the radio (again)?

Link Posted: 8/24/2004 8:16:48 PM EDT
[#1]
especially on older cars, check for good ground at base of antenna, where it touches car metal. 90 percent of the time this is where problem is. In fact check ALL grounds, battery, batery body/frame ground strap.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 8:19:00 PM EDT
[#2]
second checking for good ground.  That caused a similar problem in my car.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 8:21:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Third for ground.  Just move the ground for your radio to different spots and see if it clears up.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 9:12:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Another aspect to consider: As an AM signal gets weaker, static becomes more apparent. One of the mostly likely causes of weak signals is broken antenna connections - often, where the antenna cable goes into the bottom of the antenna mast.

If you have a test meter, unplug the antenna cable from the back of the radio, and use the meter to confirm that the center pin of the antenna cable connector still has continuity to the antenna mast. Next, confirm that the outside pin still has continuity to the vehicle's chassis ground. Finally, measure between the center and outside pins, to make sure that they aren't shorted together.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 9:14:12 PM EDT
[#5]
I hear they've got this new thing out, Frequency Modulation, supposed to cut down on that.....
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 10:13:08 AM EDT
[#6]
The FM bands work fine, its only AM with an issue.

Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity are on AM stations in the Seattle area....
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 10:18:14 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity are on AM stations in the Seattle area....

So is Dr. Frasier Crane!
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 10:28:22 AM EDT
[#8]
That's because FM will work without an antenna ground. lots of good advice here. begin your testing as above poster laid out for you.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 10:54:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Can't believe no one beat me to this:

USE TANNERITE!
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 4:06:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Well looks like I fixed it. Found one of the connectors for the lead the right front  speaker wasn't crimped, which explains why the right speaker cut out over bumps, and the stereo was only only attached to ground via the chassis with one loose screw instead of two tight ones.

Works mucho better now.

@#$@#$@ aftermarket stereo installers.....
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 5:02:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Good lesson...great job of troubleshooting!  Congrats.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top