Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/24/2004 7:04:05 PM EDT
What is the the current stutus.  Is it going to sunset? Or do we still don't know?  I am very confused by all the rumors.  Thanks!!!
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 7:04:40 PM EDT
[#1]
\/
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 7:05:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 7:10:14 PM EDT
[#3]
You guys are going to be shocked at how nasty it will be beginning Spetember 7.  All the antis are planning shit on a scale we have not seem.  It is very important that we keep converting the soccer moms to security moms.
Don't call it sunseted until it happens.  Seriously.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 7:53:09 PM EDT
[#4]
It will sunset in 19 days.  It might be replaced by something worse later, but the sunset will happen.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 7:56:15 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
It will sunset in 19 days.  It might be replaced by something worse later, but the sunset will happen.

Thats what I believe will happen thats why we should put off buying shit, and invest in buying rifles and mags galore right when the ban sunsets.  Everybody buy shitloads of lowers and stocks
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 7:56:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Congress has four working days to get something through - so be vigilent that week as the antis will be throwing everything including the kitchen sink at congressional members.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 7:57:19 PM EDT
[#7]

The Republican Senators led by Larry Craig of Idaho killed the last chance of any renewal of the AWB back in March.

It is DEAD!
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 7:59:21 PM EDT
[#8]
I thought the senate already voted yes on the AWB renew thew were just waiting for the House ( Am I wrong)
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 8:00:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 8:05:41 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Are you alright buddy
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 8:06:56 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I thought the senate already voted yes on the AWB renew thew were just waiting for the House ( Am I wrong)

The AWB renewal was successfully amended to the bill that would have prevented junk lawsuits against the firearm industry.  But that bill was defeated after the pro-gun side gave up on it (because of the AWB and the gun show "loophole" amendment).  According to Schumer, this bill was their "last hope for a legislative vehicle before the expiration" (or something like that).

So, no... an AWB renewal has not actually been passed by the Senate (though they did prove the votes are there).

--Mike

Link Posted: 8/24/2004 8:09:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 8:09:04 PM EDT
[#13]
The million moms are going state to state to try and get the awb back up.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 8:16:36 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The AWB renewal was successfully amended to the bill that would have prevented junk lawsuits against the firearm industry.  But that bill was defeated after the pro-gun side gave up on it (because of the AWB and the gun show "loophole" amendment).  According to Schumer, this bill was their "last hope for a legislative vehicle before the expiration" (or something like that).

So, no... an AWB renewal has not actually been passed by the Senate (though they did prove the votes are there).

--Mike

www.mikecaswell.com/awcountdown.gif

Oh ok now I remember, But like you said the votes were there and I was pissed
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 8:26:56 PM EDT
[#15]
It will sunset.  There's no push for a reenactment in Congress, and even if there was, there isn't time.  

But that's only half the story.  There's nothing to stop it from coming back.  And ther's nothing to stop Congress from doing something worse in the future.  And soner ot later they will do something  Our rights will inevitably be chipped away until there's a revolution, and then the process will start over again.  It's just the way the world works.

And if Kerry gets elected and has Congressional coattails, all bets are off.

They could ban AWBs completely, or after sunset, they could reenact the old law with the old dates.  But I'm figuring that Congress won't want to have to deal witgh the Fifth Amendment takings problems that that would entail, and any future law will grandfather whatever was legally owned at the time the new ban is passed.

My recommendation as a lawyer, a gun owner, and a blind seer--  convert your post-bans as soon after sunset as is economically feasible.  I'm buying cheapo tele-stocks from Sportsman's Guide.  I figure that's the most likely feature to get re-banned, and I can  worry about quality later.  And as soon as the prices settle down, buy them 30-round mags out the wazoo.  Buy them for everything you've got and everything you think you might want.

Edited to add:

This is the no-bullshit response.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 8:33:07 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
It will sunset.  There's no push for a reenactment in Congress, and even if there was, there isn't time.  

But that's only half the story.  There's nothing to stop it from coming back.  And ther's nothing to stop Congress from doing something worse in the future.  And soner ot later they will do something  Our rights will inevitably be chipped away until there's a revolution, and then the process will start over again.  It's just the way the world works.

They could ban AWBs completely, or after sunset, they could reenact the old law with the old dates.  But I'm figuring that Congress won't want to have to deal witgh the Fifth Amendment takings problems that that would entail, and any future law will grandfather whatever was legally owned at the time the new ban is passed.

My recommendation as a lawyer, a gun owner, and a blind seer--  convert your post-bans as soon after sunset as is economically feasible.  I'm buying cheapo tele-stocks from Sportsman's Guide.  I figure that's the most likely feature to get re-banned, and I can  worry about quality later.  And as soon as the prices settle down, buy them 30-round mags out the wazoo.  Buy them for everything you've got and everything you think you might want.

Edited to add:

yeah but you might as well get quality stocks dont waste the money on that garbage
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 8:40:02 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Edited to add:

yeah but you might as well get quality stocks dont waste the money on that garbage

I think he's going for the grandfathered-rifle angle.

I honestly believe that when (NOT IF, WHEN!) the AWB dies next month, no more federal laws will make it through in this decade, maybe longer.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 9:01:09 PM EDT
[#18]
no bullshit assesment on AWB sunset:

It will sunset on 9/13/04

here's why:

in 1994, we had a democrat house, senate and president... The AWB passed by a VERY slim margin and it is no secret that teh AWB pissed alot of people off and cost alot of congressmen and senators their seats.

in 2004, we have the opposite. republican president, senate, house. We also have a very polarized election coming up. You have the I HATE BUSH crowd, and the bush supporters, very little in between. The i hate bush people are ALOT more passionate about it than most bush supporters.

for most on both sides, the AWB sunset is a very minor issue.

The hardcore antis, people who would vote based on gun control are ALL in the I hate bush side (when was the last time you heard of someone saying "I'd vote for Bush but only if he pushes for the AWB renewal?")  Outside of the hardcore antis, the anti-bush people dont really care about it much.... Why push for gun control when THEY HAVE A WAR TO PROTEST? its like back in their glory days in the 60s

THe hardcore pro gunners (us) are for the most part bush supporters (some alot more than others). But alot of us, maybe most of us, would NOT vote for Bush if the ban is renewed.

The last election was won by a very slim margin, a few hundred votes in one state, and gore got the popular vote (not that the popular vote matters) Bush doesnt want to lose ANY votes, especically core republican supporters like the pro gun community. They know the true antis will never vote for them anyway.

The house and senate leadership have showed some backbone, and they are well aware of the above.  I doubt the AWB will even come up in the last FOUR days.

after the election is up in the air. I think if we keep the house and senate in republican hands it will stay dead, REGARDLESS of who's in the white house.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 9:13:12 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

All 200 of them?
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 9:18:45 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

All 200 of them?

They were just here and there was a whole lot more than 200. I even saw a bunch of police and men throw in with them.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 9:20:51 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

All 200 of them?

They were just here and there was a whole lot more than 200. I even saw a bunch of police and men throw in with them.

the "police" with them are probably high ranking police officials who with very few notable exceptions are NOT cops.

if the police you saw are actually cops and not bosses they are a disgrace

BTW I see you're in cali too.... so maybe  thats why they had a better turnout
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 9:27:08 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

All 200 of them?

the "police" with them are probably high ranking police officials who with very few notable exceptions are NOT cops.

if the police you saw are actually cops and not bosses they are a disgrace

BTW I see you're in cali too.... so maybe  thats why they had a better turnout

No doubt.  Try bringing that shit here to Nevada... I could probably round up at least as many local shooters wives to protest right back at them.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 4:54:57 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 7:27:33 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Yup
All 113 of them.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 7:29:56 AM EDT
[#25]
ok, guys ... I guess I will start ordering parts ... Ive been waiting for sept 13 ...
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 6:21:35 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
No doubt.  Try bringing that shit here to Nevada... I could probably round up at least as many local shooters wives to protest right back at them.

My wife is up for it!  She hates soccer too so she is ready to kick some major ass!!
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 6:25:54 AM EDT
[#27]
No bushit assessment:

If President Bush signs a bill into law, he will have handed John F'n Kerry the election with a great big bow on top.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 6:36:54 AM EDT
[#28]
Smells like Napalm in the morning.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 6:44:26 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Smells like Napalm in the morning.

I love the smell of Mapalm in the morning. it smells like victory.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 6:48:07 AM EDT
[#30]
As long as it could possibly get me a civilian MP7, I'm all for it...duh...

Question: Will prices actually go down on preban weapons?  Post ban?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top