Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/24/2004 12:01:13 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 12:05:57 PM EDT
[#1]

We could make nepal into a super power with all the planes we have stored out in the desert....and some newer ones...in warehouses
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 12:07:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Something to bomb those Maoist with.

CRC
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 12:13:31 PM EDT
[#3]
We would have had shitloads of F-4's to send over had we not used many of them as friggin aerial targets. Not sure what they did with all of the A-6's and A-7's we took out of service in the 90's, but if haulin iron is all they need, I'm sure those would suffice.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 12:14:38 PM EDT
[#4]
i just looked at your picture, zeek from tour of duty!  i loved that show.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 12:15:22 PM EDT
[#5]

some of those would prob. do the job
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 12:16:35 PM EDT
[#6]

these are in a little better shape
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 12:37:17 PM EDT
[#7]
i just found this one.....   wow, thats alot of planes

Link Posted: 8/24/2004 1:04:03 PM EDT
[#8]
I heard the A-6's are dumped in the ocean, to make homes for fish. What a waste...
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 1:08:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Well the Nepalese Govt needs more than surplus M-16s to fight the Maoist.

Some jets or Cobra attack helos would work.

CRC
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 1:09:53 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I heard the A-6's are dumped in the ocean, to make homes for fish. What a waste...

They should sell 'em on eBay.  Seriously.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 1:33:56 PM EDT
[#11]
There are about 180 A-6Es and 18 Ka-6D's left at Davis-Monthan.
Most of them are junk, they still have the problems with the cracked center wing box structure as most did not get the composite wing replacement from Boeing, plus there are not enough J52's left to go around.

There are 36 A-7B's, 1 TA-7C, 3 A-7D's, 167 A-6E's, 20 A-7K's and 15 various A-7's left lying around at DM.
Those aircraft also suffer from cracked wings, plus the avionics are hopelessly outdated.

There is a reason why they went to the boneyard....
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 1:40:20 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
There are about 180 A-6Es and 18 Ka-6D's left at Davis-Monthan.
Most of them are junk, they still have the problems with the cracked center wing box structure as most did not get the composite wing replacement from Boeing, plus there are not enough J52's left to go around.

There are 36 A-7B's, 1 TA-7C, 3 A-7D's, 167 A-6E's, 20 A-7K's and 15 various A-7's left lying around at DM.
Those aircraft also suffer from cracked wings, plus the avionics are hopelessly outdated.

There is a reason why they went to the boneyard....

DAMN!  I want an A-7.  Even if all it's good for is parking it in the front yard and hanging a mailbox off the nose.

Better get that done before the wife gets home.  
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 1:46:30 PM EDT
[#13]
SO that where they went for the planes on ......

Link Posted: 8/24/2004 4:00:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 4:33:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Dang, that is a lot of multi million dollar hardware setting there getting a tan! It's almost sad to see, considering how mighty these planes once were.

BTW, that top photo appears to be a shitload of B-52G and B-52D's. You can distinguish by the taller tail on the D models (also painted black). The D's were the ones used so extensively during Vietnam in the Big Belly configuration that allowed them to carry 108 total 500 pounders! Some of those G's may have saw action in the first Gul War.

The other pic looks like a variety of F-4 models and F-15's, I suppose A models.

I agree, only in this country could we afford to just dump and scrap such aircraft.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 4:39:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 4:52:07 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
CH... ya missed the mess of Tomcats!

I'll be damned, guess I did. Had to scroll over to the right to see em all. Also missed another two rows of F-4's! I guess if that's a recent pic, there are lots of F-4's that weren't used as drones.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 4:53:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Napel is GURKHA COUNTRY, nasty fighters they are.Who needs aircraft ?
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 5:04:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 5:14:10 PM EDT
[#20]
It would be cool as hell to park a used and abused F4 or F14 in your garage(if you had a big enough garage) . Hell of a CDI (chicks dig it) factor.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 7:19:52 PM EDT
[#21]
For Navy and Marine aircraft:
NAVICP (Naval Inventory Control Point) Philly, PA "owns" all Navy and Marine aircraft, including the ones at Davis-Monthan.

Once an aircraft is targeted for "disposal" vice storage at DM by NACIP then the aircraft is reused (local, state, federal agencies), foreign sales, sold for scrap or becomes property of the National Museum  of Naval Aviation at NAS Pensacola.

If you get an aircraft through the NMNA you still must perform periodic inspections and perform maintenance on that aircraft. Once a year a report must be submitted to the NMNA that details the material condition of the aircraft, any maintenance performed on it and pictures of the aircraft.

Unless a Navy/Marine aircraft is "sold" it remains the property of the Navy, even the ones shot down, crashed and / or abandonded. No ticket, no laundry.

The most recent example of this was the recovery of the Brewster Buffalo from Russia.
The guy recovered the aircraft and once he got custody of it he sent it to Ireland. Had he returned it to the USA he would have lost custody of it.
He had the NMNA over a barrel.
That's why the NMNA traded him 3 P-3A's for that Buffalo.

When NAS Miramar became MCAS Miramar the Marines didn't want the various aircraft that the Navy had on display around the base. The Marines had an excellent collection at MCAS El Toro, and they had no need for the Navy specific aircraft from NAS Miramar.

The NMNA's put out an offer to all the SoCal air museums that if they wanted an aircraft from NAS Miramar all they had to do was come get it and take it away. If no takers were found they were to be destroyed and recycled on spot. The NMNA "gave away" a couple of the aircraft, which means the NMNA no longer owns them. Those aircraft had to be demilled (wing spars and keel beems cut, avionics removed, wiring, control cables and hydraulic lines cut) and were then given away.

Up until guys started splicing and dicing aircraft back together (F-5's A-4's) it was no big deal to buy a surplus aircraft.

Quoted:
Here's a little known fact:

If you want a military plane of almost any type for display,  you can have one for display if you satisfy these two basic criteria:

You must have a not-for-profit organization.
You must have a suitable place to display the aircraft.  Indoors or outdoors, either is fine, but it must be accessible to the public (you have to keep some regular hours for the benefit of the public) and it must be placed in such a way that it can reasonably be expected to not move.    You can't usually just part it on its wheels unless you take steps to keep people from just towing it away.  A concrete barrier around it is sufficient.

Once you have it, the government can retrieve it at any time,  but they don't do that very often, and I don't believe you're allowed to perform any maintenance on it that is aimed at restoring it to flightworthy condition.   You can make it look good and complete, but you sure can't repair it and start flying it!   And you can't modify it or destroy it.

Heck, if I had the time, inclination, and space,  I'd provide indoor hangar space for several F-16As and (reversibly) modify the cockpits so that the instruments were functional, had power, and each plane had a hemispherical dome projection system operating on it,  with flight simulation software and hardware connected.  It'd be a virtual ACM battleground with real planes.    I  could charge admission for that!

Pipe dream.

CJ

Link Posted: 8/24/2004 7:24:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Just for instance, this is the listing of the A-6E Intruder aircraft that the NMNA has in its inventory. Only one is on display at the museum, the rest have been loaned out.

155610 Inside

158532 Loaned Out
155627 Loaned Out
154171 Loaned Out
157024 Loaned Out
158794 Loaned Out
162195 Loaned Out
162206 Loaned Out
152599 Loaned Out
152907 Loaned Out
155648 Loaned Out
162182 Loaned Out
155629 Loaned Out
155595 Loaned Out
154162 Loaned Out
152923 Loaned Out
162185 Loaned Out
162184 Loaned Out
152910 Loaned Out
151826 Loaned Out
149482 Loaned Out
151579 Loaned Out
156997 Loaned Out
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top