Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/24/2004 11:35:10 AM EDT
I'll be attending my first ever gun show this weekend.  I'm wondering what the rules are for purchasing at a show.  Can I just go in there with cash in my pocket and walk out with a gun (rifle/shotgun)?   I'm particularly looking to get a rifle as the only rifles I have now are .22's.  Probably will want to look for an AK47, 1000rds of ammo, scope mount, and red dot for it.  Is that possible for around $500?

There are also different makers of the AK.  Bulgarian, Romanian, etc...  Is there a preference over which maker builds the best one?
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 11:36:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Forgot to mention.  This same gun show will be in town in October as well.  Assuming the AWB is passed will there be any differences in the rifles being sold there?

What are the main differences between the pre and post ban AK's and AR-15's?  Just the accessories available to use with the rifles or do they function differently?  
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 11:45:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Good luck getting that AK47, I don't think it's going to happen, at least not for 500 bucks.  I think you could walk away with a AK type, half dozen magazines, and a thousand rounds of ammo for 500 bucks.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 11:48:57 AM EDT
[#3]
first queston were is the show?  to answer your question that depends. if its from a private person hand over cash walk out. Mo has no laws aganst  private sells. if its a handgun with a private sell you still need the pruchase permit.  hand gun from dealer purchase permit / 4473 aka yellow form. long gun from delaer  yellow from. as for the question after the ban. well i would say if its a ar then CMMG will probably have all the evil stuff on all new uppers they sell. i cant say for anybody else. but if your buying a AR you should make CMMG your first Choice. Jeff/John will not  do you wrong. i have got 7 ars from them after the ban it will be 8. Ronald

edit: i noticed you said AK. seems like the ak market is the same your goign give around 350 for a sar maybe a little more for a Mak 90.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 11:51:47 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I'll be attending my first ever gun show this weekend.  I'm wondering what the rules are for purchasing at a show.  Can I just go in there with cash in my pocket and walk out with a gun (rifle/shotgun)?  

My recollection from gun shows I've gone to is that most of the dealers with tables will have a phone conenciton and the yellow forms, so they can call in the NCIS check from the show.  If you don't get rejected or delayed by the NCIS, you can walk out with the gun.

I'm your NCIS check is delayed, I'm sure the dealer knows how to deal with that (but I'm not sure).

I'll let others tell you about the pre-ban post-ban distinction, but the short advice is that if you're getting an so-called "assault rifle" - it's better to wait three weeks until the ban expires.  
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 11:55:17 AM EDT
[#5]
You can only buy full auto bullet hoses at local gunshows.  Haven't you ever heard of the "loop hole" problem?
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 11:58:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Michael
           You might be able to come out with an AK, Ammo and a scope for 500.00. I have seen some good deals at the shows here lately so it is possible. As for purchasing an AK and being able to come home with it you’ll be able to do that too.  Most of the dealers can call in your NICS from the show so if your buying from a dealer they’ll just phone it in and then there’s also the private sales.
         As for the Bulgy or Romanian the difference to me is all cosmetics. For the 500.00 you have to spend you’ll need to be looking for a Romanian. Ive not seen any Bulgys at any shows in the area for less than 700.00.
        If you can wait you might want to hold off till Oct to get a rifle with all the features. If not you may do good this weekend. I figure they’ll be some deals to be had from dealers wanting to thin out some of there stuff before the ban sets.
      IM me if you have any questions about the shows in the area. Ive been to a few.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 12:03:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Hey Mike, just a suggestion but, I've done this for "Virgins" myself here.

Why don't you see if another member from here is going to go to the same show and see if you can tag along with them?

Gunshows are wonderful but they're full of snakes and ratbastards who'll take someone's ignorance and screw 'em with it (I used to work shows and've seen it too many times).  Just an idea.  There's some decent guys out there but I hate to hear about the unitiated coming home from a show with a "Pre-Ban" MAK-90 (At ONLY $495) or a $450 10-22 urban assault system

Good luck and have fun but do your homework first.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 12:05:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 12:08:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Treadhead, has a good suggestion. allot of people want to take a newbie.  also don't forget to ask questions. I have also seen dealers wanting to charge you for the nics. don't buy that for a minute. I understand the cell phone cost but hey your the customer. I know there is one guy that hits the Columbia shows and he wants you to pay for the nics check before he calls it in. I guess incase you get delayed. he has some good deals but I just cant bring myself to buy from him for charging for the Nics. I mean I have a C&R and I get delayed every time even if it is only for a minute. Ronald
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 12:18:02 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Treadhead, has a good suggestion. allot of people want to take a newbie.  

Great idea - defintelty check out the Missouri board under the "Hometown" forums.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 12:24:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Micheal,
  I didn't know you were on here too. I forgot what area you live in, so can you tell us where the gun show is? I don't know of any in my area this month, so it's probably not near St. Louis. I don't buy much, but I love going to gun shows.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 12:47:09 PM EDT
[#12]
KANSAS CITY, MO

Blue Ridge Mall
Old Montgomery Wards
Upper Level

500 Tables
$51.00 EA.

August 28-29
October 9-10

The weather's looking good this weekend to be outside (fishing).   I may just hold off until the Oct. show, when the ban's expired and I've studied up more on the prices and variants of the AK's.  

btw.  I'm in Lee's Summit, MO.  
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 2:14:52 PM EDT
[#13]
I wouldn't get in too much of a hurry - if this show is anything like the shows in the St. Louis area, there will be damn few to zero deals, except that you might find a case of ammo that a shop doesn't carry.  Otherwise, you might as well buy from your friendly gun shop and start cultivating that relationship; you can certainly buy anything you want for the same price you'll find at a show.  Buy accessories from internet retailers for the best prices.

Gun shows are most useful for finding unusual stuff that a gunshop won't normally have in stock.

If you get rejected during a NICS check at a gunshow, the dealer has a couple of options.  If they are local, then you go to their business to pick up the rifle when the check clears.  If they are out of town, then you can get a local dealer to transfer the gun, or drive to the out of town location to pick it up.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top