Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/24/2004 9:49:19 AM EDT
I always hear that people use toothbrushes to clean gun parts..... which ones?
On my AR's I use the cleaning rod for the barrel and my hands for most other parts.  The 90 degree angles get a screwdriver wrapped in a cleaning pad....

What's the toothbush for?
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 9:50:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Everything it will fit into.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 9:52:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Mostly the slide serrations and checkering on my 1911. Using them anywhere else gets them too gummed up for more than one use, and blasting it with gun scrubber usually ends up with a melted toothbrush
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 9:53:04 AM EDT
[#3]
I don't use toothbrushes, at least not yet.

The dirt, fouling and grease I encounter is easy enough to wipe away with degreaser and/or carb & choke cleaner, a rag and Q-tips.

Maybe on a microscopic level  I'm not getting all the dirt/grease, but my method seems to work for me.

I DO occasionally use a steel pick on some of the hard-to-get-to areas for the AR receivers.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 9:57:49 AM EDT
[#4]
The teeth, of course.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 10:00:59 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Yep!
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 10:06:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 10:06:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Scrub just about everything but the bore with a toothbrush soaked in some foul cleaner.  Let sit for a while.  Blast off with brake cleaner (non-chlorinated).  Blast with air compressor.  Re-lube.  Re-assemble.  Go shooting.  Repeat.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 11:19:17 AM EDT
[#8]
firearms expert "Lenny Magill" says to brush your AR15's bolt locking lugs just like you brush your tooth.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 11:27:48 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep!

I think it's important to make the distinction that you may clean anything it will fit into ON THE GUN.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top