Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/24/2004 8:54:01 AM EDT
what do you guys think of the 870 express combo.i asked this in the shotgun section but the GD seems to get alot more traffic. i am in the market for a shotgun. only have about 400-500 dollars to spend. i mainly want it to fill my unused deer tags after archery season,hopefully will fill them in archery season. but i was also thinking about getting into some clay pigeon shooting. are pump guns good for this or are automatic the better way to go? i figured with both barrels, i could do both. but then again i am not too familiar with them, that is why i am asking here. should i get the combo or is the automatics that much better?  thanks    
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 9:22:59 AM EDT
[#1]
  I have a rem 870 combo 1 barrel is rifiled the other is cyl bore 18.5 inch personel defense. like

the gun like the quality. have harvested a buck each time I go out with it. (twice in five years,

friggin gwot) rest of the year it sits witha mag extension and a folding stock as a back up to my

ar15,  for when bigfoot comes after my stamp collection.here.
auto's are fast but  usually longer (with recoil buffer) and less reliable just my 2c
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 9:24:53 AM EDT
[#2]
I want to say that the 870 is the best selling gun of all time...

basically, if you want a good all around shotgun, this is what I would get (actually this is what I have).
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 9:29:37 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

basically, if you want a good all around shotgun, this is what I would get (actually this is what I have).

Ditto.  Can't go wrong with an 870.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 9:34:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 9:38:44 AM EDT
[#5]
I don't own an 870 but from what I've seen of those owned by friends of mine, it's a great shotgun. You won't go wrong with one.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 9:41:27 AM EDT
[#6]
CampyBob,
My Win. Model 12 is also retired along with the Parker Bros. Trojan.

I don't use the Browning Auto-5 much either because it is 50+ years old and holds many fond memories for me.

The 870 is the one I grab most of the time and it has never let me down.

I use the Franchi when I am bird hunting and the Browning Gold SG 3-1/2" when Goose hunting.

The 870 would be a good choice and will serve you well for many years.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 9:47:15 AM EDT
[#7]
You can't go wrong with an 870. I absolutely love mine. I went the expensive route with a Vang Comp Systems 870. Even with an 18.5" barrel, I can shoot trap.

One (possibly bad) thing to note. Many of the 870s that are marketed as hunting shotguns (including the Express) have a little detent in the magazine tube, making it difficult, but not impossible, to install and use a mag tube extension. CHECK YOURS BEFORE YOU BUY IT. One customer came in with an 870 Express that he wanted to convert from a long barrel hunting shotgun to an 18.5" defense gun. We had to take out the damn "nipple" with a dremel tool, and now he has a nice 1/4" hole in his mag tube.

The only two 870 models I know of that do not have this detent are the 870 Police, and the 870 Express Defense (which has the extension already installed from the factory).
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 9:47:53 AM EDT
[#8]
I have 2 Mossbergs myself, but whatever you get make sure that you get a barrel with a Cylinder bore! You can shoot rifled slugs and shot. Use it for deer, use it for skeet/birdies, use it for home defense, no need to change barrels.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 9:52:40 AM EDT
[#9]
My buddy has an 870, one day he got bored and modified it. He put a collapsable stock from and AR on it, looks pretty cool. I own a mossberg, I can definatly tell the 870 is better quality but I never had a single problem with the mossy
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 9:59:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top