Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/24/2004 7:14:39 AM EDT
Where in the FU** are these hoodlums parents?

Tuesday, August 24, 2004

Classrooms trashed
Vandals cause $40,000 worth of damage at Liberty
By CHRISTOPHER MOSS and VARUN SHANKAR/Special to the Daily Press

VICTORVILLE — A group of children, some possibly as young as 5, went on a vandalism spree, causing up to $40,000 in damage to 10 classrooms at Liberty Elementary School, sheriff's officials said Monday.

Sheriff's deputies are asking for the public's help in identifying the vandals from a security video.

A custodian who went to work Monday called the sheriff's station about 6 a.m. to report the damage which happened Sunday afternoon, San Bernardino County Sheriff's Deputy Tim Jimerson said.

"It was mostly just destruction," Jimerson said. "For the most part it looks like they're leaving stuff behind."

CAUGHT ON TAPE

The San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department believes the youths captured on this video image from a camera on the campus of Liberty Elementary are the suspects that caused $40,00 worth of vandalism.

Jimerson estimated the ages of the five or six vandals ranged up to 16, and said they were all black males and females, according to images on the videotape.

Shattered glass filled the walkways and the rooms, which were littered with papers, overturned desks and more glass from broken televisions, projectors and computers.

An old piano in one room was filled with blue paint, and fire extinguishers were discharged in another. Every one of the 10 rooms was a complete mess.

Profanity and other derogatory language was written on the whiteboards of some classrooms, while others had messages such as "Sorry for the trouble" and "Sorry Mrs. Shaner" on their blackboards.

Teachers and administrators received calls early Monday morning about the vandalism, and some teachers were coming in from their vacations to clean up the classrooms.

"(I'm) sick to my stomach," said Patty Morentin, a fourth-grade teacher at the school.

"I'm most upset because they destroyed the gifts the kids bought for me," Morentin said, unable to hold back tears.

Morentin and Jeannie Russell, teachers in adjacent rooms, both said they would do "whatever it takes" to get the rooms ready before the school, which is on a year-round schedule, resumes Sept. 7.

"It just takes so many hours to make this nice for kids," Russell said. "It's going to take that many (more) hours to put it back together."

Despite the setback, Principal Ailene Cammon said the teachers will be able to get the classrooms back in order by the time school starts.

Cammon also said somebody will now be at the school 24-hours a day to prevent similar instances in the future.

Insurance will help cover the costs of the damages, but Cammon said the school district will replace the broken material as quickly as possible — even if the insurance money hasn't yet been received — to make sure students are not affected.

Anyone with information on the vandalism is urged to call Detective Milt Rose at the Victorville sheriff's station at 241-2911. Anonymous tips are welcome. Information may also be phoned in to WeTip at (800) 78-CRIME.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 7:22:22 AM EDT
[#1]
animals behave better
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 7:23:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Perhaps if some of the damage was left, the other kids would get the message.

"Why haven't they fixed the windows?  They're letting too much hot air in!"
"They haven't fixed the windows because some of you keep coming in here and breaking them.  If you REALLY want the windows fixed, why don't you raise some money for new ones, and stay after school to help put them in, and tell us who's been breaking them?"

"This is why you can't have nice things."
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 7:43:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Kids in my town routinely cause about half a million dollars in damage to school district property per year from intentional malicious vandalism.  The latest havoc was someone who torched the playground equipment in Eagle River, cost about $200,000.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 8:03:54 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Kids in my town routinely cause about half a million dollars in damage to school district property per year from intentional malicious vandalism.  The latest havoc was someone who torched the playground equipment in Eagle River, cost about $200,000.

Yeah, but how many were 5 yrs old?

Imagine this kid when as a teenager...

Such anger from kids this young is scary. They'll kill you for a nickel
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 8:08:21 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
animals behave better

yup
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 3:36:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Just be careful not bring the racial makeup of these kids into the equation...

I can hear it now...

"Why are you racist?!!!"
"Why's it gotta be about race??!!!"
"Other race's kids do this stuff too..."
"A mind is a terrible thing to waste."
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 3:39:49 PM EDT
[#7]
My first impulse is to ask where are the child's parents, but I have a feeling that they are among the vandals.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 4:18:11 PM EDT
[#8]
I shudder to think of the kids our public education system will churn out 10 years from now if they're this bad already.

I'm only 21, but when I was in the first grade, I got spanked if I as much as told another kid to 'shut up'.  When I go to the grocery store now, I routinely hear 6 and 7 year olds saying "fuck you" to their mommy.

What these kids need is for their ass to get whipped with a belt.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 4:22:02 PM EDT
[#9]
you're just accusing becaue they be black, you have no evidence................
oh, nevermind.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 4:26:48 PM EDT
[#10]
When I took an abnormal psych class in college we had to spend time with these kids that had been taken away from their parents for various reasons.  Almost all were minorities with parents in jail for drugs, ect...

Anyhow, I had one kid (mexican), about 6 year old look up and say "I kill niggers".  I couldn't fucking believe it.  I told him that's not right, blah blah blah.  Most of the kids there talked like this.  Real messed up.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 4:48:16 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
When I took an abnormal psych class in college we had to spend time with these kids that had been taken away from their parents for various reasons.  Almost all were minorities with parents in jail for drugs, ect...

Anyhow, I had one kid (mexican), about 6 year old look up and say "I kill niggers".  I couldn't fucking believe it.  I told him that's not right, blah blah blah.  Most of the kids there talked like this.  Real messed up.

Ask him what caliber he uses.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 4:57:46 PM EDT
[#12]

Amendment XIII

Section 1. Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction.

Section 2. Congress shall have power to enforce this article by appropriate legislation.

That ought to cure a whole bunch of this kind of crap.

wganz

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top