Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/24/2004 6:23:23 AM EDT
I am on my 4th cup for the morning!  Can't seem to function as a normal person until I have had most of a pot of coffee....  what is this doing to my insides?
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 6:29:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Turning them black
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 6:29:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Raises your heart rate, and blood pressure a little bit, and can give you jitters bad breath.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 6:31:27 AM EDT
[#3]
I never aquired the taste for it. I bet I haven't drank 6 cups of coffee in my whole 42 years. It smells great. It tastes like sheet.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 6:31:46 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I am on my 4th cup for the morning!  Can't seem to function as a normal person until I have had most of a pot of coffee....  what is this doing to my insides?

don't know, when you work midnight shift like me, you gotta drink so much coffee to stay awake, you end up like Beavis ODing on sugar.
I AM THE GREAT CORNHOLIO!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 6:31:49 AM EDT
[#5]
i have decaffeinated myself and can now see people moving in and out of the matrix.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 6:35:36 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Not much, really.  What it's doing to your brain, well, that's something else.  Studies have shown that while caffine makes people work faster, it also makes them sloppier, so the benefit isn't really there (you do a lot of a shitty job).

I'm trying to cut down on the stuff quite a bit now.  I'm still going through withdraw, but it should get better eventually.  The physical dependency is kind of scary.

Check this out:

home.howstuffworks.com/caffeine.htm
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 6:39:44 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Check this out:

home.howstuffworks.com/caffeine.htm

now that is some interesting reading!  Looks like I am an addict...
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 6:42:18 AM EDT
[#8]
coffee good!
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 6:45:44 AM EDT
[#9]
I was on a tea(Earl Grey) kick for a couple years then found out that I had Fatty Liver Disease, come to find out that there is something in Coffee that'll help repair your liver so now I'm back to drinking coffee(2-24oz cups a day) and taking my Milk Thistel and I'm feeling fine.  Not sure what my liver ensyems look like now but heck, somethings got to kill ya'. LOL   Anyway, as long as you're not having a problem with the caffinee in the coffee I wouldn't worry too much.  
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 6:48:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Never have acquired a taste for it, outside of an occasional frappucino (sp?) that my wife will get me
at Starbucks. She's always, "I wish you would learn to like coffee, so there'd be somebody else in
the house that drinks it." Still haven't figured out why though.... I set up the coffeemaker for her
before I go to work, so it goes off abt the time she gets up, and according to her, I can make great
coffee. I just can't stand it unless it has so much sugar & cream in it, that it's a 'What's the point?'
type of thing. Even after 8+ years in the service.......

And there are times that the smell of it can almost make me nauseous. I guess it's the type or
something.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 6:49:28 AM EDT
[#11]
On the very first day God made a pot of coffee.  Caffine is GOOD for you.  If I could have my blood replaced with coffee I would..

. Sgtar15.

. . . . . . . . . .
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 6:50:26 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
And there are times that the smell of it can almost make me nauseous. I guess it's the type or
something.

My wife hates the smell of it too, I usually have to wait until she leaves for work before I start firing up the coffee maker....
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 6:54:19 AM EDT
[#13]
I used to be an addict. 6-8 cups per day. I quit cold turkey (bad idea, massive headaches which could have been avoided by tapering off). Now I sleep much much better and have more energy during the day.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 6:55:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Talking about coffee....

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=267223

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 7:01:29 AM EDT
[#15]
I am up to about 10 cups a day, but I always cut off my intake by noon or it keeps me up at night. I acquired a taste for it while in the army pulling all night duty. I take it hot and black. I can't stand it with sugar or cream, and I don't like the fancy "gourmet" brands either.

It gets me moving in the morning and keeps me moving. I am unsure of any benefits, but I know this much: I get severe headaches if I go with out it.

There is also the social interaction; the short BS sessions in the morning over a cup of coffee with my employees before we dive into our work.

Yes, I am addicted to it.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 7:04:09 AM EDT
[#16]
My doc has told me to stay away from coffee as much as I can.
The caffeine is killing my stomach.

I've cut it down to about 2 or 3 cups a day! Woo Hoo!
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 7:05:27 AM EDT
[#17]
I stopped drinking coffee about a year ago after having drank it since I was 8. That would have been 36 years. I thought it was coffee that was making me feel funky when I'd drive but I subsequently discovered it was nicotine saturation from dipping Skoal.

I've recently started up (again) drinking green tea and I'm "weaning" myself back into caffeinated coffee-I have been drinking decaf for about a year.

A little caffeine is supposed to be good for you and even when I did drink coffee I usually only had 2-3 cups a day, but I know people-like my brother-that drink the stuff all day and function just fine. Hell, he can drink a cup of coffee at 9:00PM and go to bed at 10. I'd be up until 3.

I quit drinking coffee and dipping within a week of one another. WHAT A HELLISH TIME.

But now I'm glad I did it.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 7:06:02 AM EDT
[#18]
Coffee...don't take a shit in the morning without it.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 7:10:24 AM EDT
[#19]

Is Coffee Bad For Me?

Not necessarily. You may have a physical makeup/problems for which coffee is beneficial. Or you may have problems that coffee aggravates.

Best way to find out is to quit long enough to get over withdrawals and then ask yourself if you feel better or worse.

At one time I drank about 5 cups every weekday morning. Noticed my ankles and feet hurt, but only on weekdays. Cut out the coffee and the pains went away.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 7:15:16 AM EDT
[#20]
Lots of studies have been done on the effects of caffeine and coffee.  The one thing I remember is that drinking 1-2 cups per day has no detrimental effects to a healthy person.  In fact, as mentioned above, there are some benefits to the digestive system.

I'm not a big coffee drinker myself, but sometimes I walk by a coffee shop, or the lunchroom, and it smells so gooooood...
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 7:22:39 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Coffee...don't take a shit in the morning without it.

Yeeeeehawwwwww!!!!!!

And I hope everything comes out okay!
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 7:24:43 AM EDT
[#22]
If you go through withdrawl symptoms when you don't drink, that should be telling you something.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 7:45:02 AM EDT
[#23]
Coffee consumption, type 2 diabetes and impaired glucose tolerance in Swedish men and women.

CONCLUSIONS: The results of this study indicated that high consumers of coffee have a reduced risk of type 2 diabetes and impaired glucose tolerance. The beneficial effects may involve both improved insulin sensitivity and enhanced insulin response.

Coffee, tea and caffeine and risk of epithelial ovarian cancer.

Women with epithelial ovarian cancer (EOC) (n = 696) and control women selected from the Electoral Roll (n = 786) provided comprehensive reproductive and lifestyle data and completed a food frequency questionnaire. RESULTS: Increasing coffee consumption was associated with a decreased risk of invasive EOC ( p trend = 0.009) with an odds ratio (OR) of 0.51 (95% confidence interval (CI) 0.32-0.80) for consumption of >/=4 cups of coffee per day compared to non-drinkers.

SNIP

As tea contributed significantly to caffeine intake in this population we conclude that the association we observed with coffee is not due to caffeine, but to other components within coffee.

Impact of coffee and other selected factors on general mortality and mortality due to cardiovascular disease in Croatia

No significant effects of coffee consumption on general mortality and mortality due to cardiovascular disease were found among men. Positive effects of coffee on general mortality (p = 0.0089) but not on cardiovascular disease-associated mortality were observed among women. Women who regularly drank coffee 1-2 cup(s) per day had a significantly lower risk of all-cause death adjusted for age, region, smoking, diastolic blood pressure, feeling of well-being, and history of stomach ulcer (relative risk = 0.631; p = 0.0033; confidence interval: 0.464-0.857). The role of coffee consumption on mortality was less relevant than other variables. However, it cannot be completely neglected in women.

Effect of life-style factors on incidence of erectile dysfunction.(ED)

We found no differences in the incidence of ED by the level of education, marital status, urban/rural place of residence, amount of alcohol and coffee consumption.

The effect of caffeine consumption and nausea on the risk of miscarriage.

Our results indicate that high caffeine consumption during pregnancy (>300 mg/day), in particular coffee consumption, is an independent risk factor for increased risk

Synopsis, could help you out, and even if it doesn't, at least it won't make you limp.    

oh, And ladies, watch out when you're pregnant.

Edited to add: The thing about studies... I could probably find just as many saying coffee is bad.  The key is commonsense and moderation.  

Link Posted: 8/24/2004 7:52:12 AM EDT
[#24]
Anything if overdone can be bad, me? I just drink 1 cup in the morning, and I can take it or leave it. Sometimes on the weekends on a cold morning, a cup of joe will just kind of warm the insides.

Caffiene is also a mild diuretic, that is can make you pee. For some people, caffiene call also trigger the urge for a BM(for us parents, that is a baby talk for bowel movement).
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 7:53:57 AM EDT
[#25]
It will stunt your growth!

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 7:56:29 AM EDT
[#26]
It makes you pee a lot
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 2:33:32 PM EDT
[#27]
No it is not. Certainly no worse than hookers, whiskey and cigarettes.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 2:41:51 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
i have decaffeinated myself and can now see people moving in and out of the matrix.

Pretty funky, huh?

I am caffeine free for three months. Pluses - no ups and downs during the day, no more "wired" feeling if I drink too many cups. Cons - miss that morning stovetop mocha + newspaper crap. Decaf Earl Grey doesn't cut it.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 2:57:22 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
It makes you pee a lot

I was about to say that. Caffeine is a diuretic. It's really not good for you because of all the water soluble vitamins that get flushed out of your body when you go to pee.
Overall, it's bad for your health if you become dependent on it.
The only good thing I can think of is drinking coffee before you take a test. Studies have shown that it can increase test performance. (No, it's not a bogus study)
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 3:00:01 PM EDT
[#30]
It's going to make your teeth brown.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top