Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/24/2004 5:17:14 AM EDT
I live in a strip of houses that run parallel to some cotton fields...We're the only housing development for 2 miles and there are only 20 houses on the street..

They're defoliating the cotton crops and this idiot is buzzing my house so low, the whole house is shaking! And, he's doing it between 2:30-5:30am...

The defoliation is sodium chloride from what I am told, and they have to spray when it's cooler so it is effective...But, couldn't he fly E-W where there aren't any houses instead of N-S and buzz my house? And, isn't there a 500' law or does that only pertain to urban areas rather than rural?

It sounds like the planes of WWII..It's a beautiful plane, but GO AWAY!
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 5:20:17 AM EDT
[#1]
AAA?
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 5:23:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Do you have a .50?  I hear those are only good for shooting down airplanes.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 5:25:18 AM EDT
[#3]
I would think that some small arms fire from your AR would make him think twice about where he flys.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 5:25:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Couple possiblities:

Wind Conditions:  You have to spray as close to parallel with the wind as possible as to not miss or over do spots.

Field Conditions: Depending on which way the rows are plowed; pilots want to go with the rows in case of an engine failure.  You cannot land a plane in a field crossing the furrows, Insta-Flip.  Toss you over quicker then John Kerry changes stories.

Field Conditions: Eastern or Western end of the fields could have Wires, Trees, Hills or some other hazard that makes it more dangerous to the aircraft and people on the ground.  He is doing this in the dark.  Houses are easily seen and judged for height.  Thin little wires are not easily seen in the dark and are hard to judge.

ETA: Crop dusters can get waivers for minimum safe distances.  You can't cropdust from 500' so the FAA has a couple loopholes
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 5:27:00 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I would get some Roman Candles to shoot at him for effect only.  That might get the message accross to him.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 5:58:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Hmm, Interesting complaint.

Question for you. Who was there first, the fields or the housing development?

In Michigan we have what is called the "right to farm" act which basically says that if you move into a farming or agricultural area, don't bitch if you can't stand the smell of manure.

Interestingly, we have another law, patterned after the right to farm act that protects gun ranges and shooting clubs against encroachment.

Again - hey, if you move next to a shooting range, don't whine when the guns start banging away.

That said, crop dusting at night would be a pain in the ass. So- I do have some compassion for you, however, if the fields were there first, well,

With Real Estate, it is a BUYER BEWARE kinda situation. Maybe you should call your realtor every night when you are disturbed to share the love.

Of course, if you were there first, and then they started farming the fields, you have every right togo get in the farmer's face and demand satisfaction. Unfortuneately, the farm is probably owned by some huge nameless corportation, so in any case, your screwed. Sorry.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 5:58:36 AM EDT
[#7]

Shooting him down seems a little extreme.

Who owns the land..?  Go talk to them about it.  Or, find out who owns the agplane.

Also, you're saying he's spraying at 2am!?!  Not to ask a stupid question, but how can he see?

Most spraying has to be done in the early morning:  cooler temps and little wind (don't want that blown off the field).
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 6:00:04 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I would get some Roman Candles to shoot at him for effect only.  That might get the message accross to him.

On second thought, maybe a couple hundred of those tannerite rockets would be kinda cool in this case...!
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 6:25:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Ask the pilot for a ride.  Make sure you tell him he flies like a girl.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 6:31:42 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Ask the pilot for a ride.  Make sure you tell him he flies like a girl.

LOL.
My father had a friend who was a cropduster.  Craziest bastard I ever flew with

You can always go out and shine a 1 gazillon candlepower spotlight on him.  Hey, I was just trying to read the tail number
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 6:33:22 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Hmm, Interesting complaint.

Question for you. Who was there first, the fields or the housing development?

In Michigan we have what is called the "right to farm" act which basically says that if you move into a farming or agricultural area, don't bitch if you can't stand the smell of manure.

Interestingly, we have another law, patterned after the right to farm act that protects gun ranges and shooting clubs against encroachment.

Again - hey, if you move next to a shooting range, don't whine when the guns start banging away.

That said, crop dusting at night would be a pain in the ass. So- I do have some compassion for you, however, if the fields were there first, well,

With Real Estate, it is a BUYER BEWARE kinda situation. Maybe you should call your realtor every night when you are disturbed to share the love.

Of course, if you were there first, and then they started farming the fields, you have every right togo get in the farmer's face and demand satisfaction. Unfortuneately, the farm is probably owned by some huge nameless corportation, so in any case, your screwed. Sorry.

+1
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 6:45:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 7:24:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Give the guy a break.  He's just doing his job.  He has a limited window of time to get it done(morning and evening) and it doesn't pay that great to begin with.  Insurance is through the roof for these guys and then you have to deal with hazardous chemicals, etc.  He has some real stones for pursuing the job as well.  Have you tried to fly that low to the ground and avoid power lines, obstructions, while delivering your "load" exactly where it needs to be so as not to NUKE the neighborhood with chemicals etc.  Enjoy that sound while you can.  I'm afraid that the "safety nazis" of America will soon do away with airplanes much like they are trying to do with guns.  

I enjoy a radial engine sound as much as the sound of full-auto fire.  Like they say,  "There's nothing like the sound of a round."

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top