Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/24/2004 4:40:30 AM EDT
USA sweeps the 400, Jeremy Wariner, a 20 year old Baylor student  wins the gold at the Olympics!

``I've never seen a white man run that fast,'' said Grenada's Alleyne Francique, who was supposed to be Wariner's biggest threat but finished fourth. ``It was a blazing race, man. The kid is good.''

"Wariner has become accustomed to the race issue, as a rare white man running sprints that traditionally have been dominated by blacks. "

Interesting comments. If a white guy had said that about a black guy it would be racism. But if a black guy says it, it is grudging admiration.  We live in interesting times.

Link Posted: 8/24/2004 4:42:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Stupid comment.....

Just remember he was the third loser in that race.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 4:43:24 AM EDT
[#2]
This thread has no where to go but down
IBTL
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 4:43:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Were is the outrage ? He is white and taking away something from the blackman.

Let the riots begin
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 4:43:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Howard Cosell's comment..."Look at that monkey run..." comes to mind
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 4:50:19 AM EDT
[#5]

Jeez, not this again
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 4:53:46 AM EDT
[#6]
He has a great future in law enforcement.  
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 4:55:35 AM EDT
[#7]
IBTL
+2
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 4:56:53 AM EDT
[#8]
The Junkies In The Morning on 99.1 WHFS here in Maryland had a pretty horrendous comment about that:
"Wouldnt you run that fast if you were being chased by 10 brothers?"
Some people need to learn to keep their pieholes shut when the mic is hot...

Kharn
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 5:02:05 AM EDT
[#9]
I live in MD and can't stand 99.1 anymore. It used to be all I listened to in the morning. Since the "junkies" came on, I stopped. They are so horrible, and as you said, don't think much about what they are saying.

I listen to AM 680 now for some conservative talk radio! No more of those anti-Bush libs on 99.1
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 5:02:14 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
The Junkies In The Morning on 99.1 WHFS here in Maryland had a pretty horrendous comment about that:

Kharn

I always figured it was a simple matter of motivation.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 5:04:12 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/24/2004 5:07:21 AM EDT
[#12]
Zig:
The problem is I'm out in Bel Air, so on a really, really good day I can get DC101.1, but on most days its too staticy to make out anything.  I was just too lazy to dig my mp3 player out of my bag and plug it in on my drive to work this morning so I caught that little gem.

Kharn
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 5:10:15 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Zig:
The problem is I'm out in Bel Air, so on a really, really good day I can get DC101.1, but on most days its too staticy to make out anything.  I was just too lazy to dig my mp3 player out of my bag and plug it in on my drive to work this morning so I caught that little gem.
Kharn

Sounds like "Greaseman's" comment that he made a year or so back that he ended up getting fired
for, from DC101. He's back now on AM700.

Nothing beats Howard Stern's comment though, here in DC, after the Air Florida crash!
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 5:14:08 AM EDT
[#14]
IBTL
+3
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 6:19:37 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I don't care who ya are, that's funny!

Link Posted: 8/24/2004 6:23:47 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 6:25:57 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/24/2004 6:26:48 AM EDT
[#18]
2 quick things:

1. He talked like a black guy.
2. Of course he ran that fast, he was getting chased by 7 black guys!
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 6:27:22 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Let the riots begin

+1

If I hear one more thing about minority rentention here at my state employer, instead of simply hiring the best man or woman for the job, I'm going to puke.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 6:28:30 AM EDT
[#20]
This is kinda like a white guy beating a black guy in boxing.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 6:29:47 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Kharn

I personally think thats some funny shit.

Link Posted: 8/24/2004 6:30:16 AM EDT
[#22]
Racist fuck

Change the word "white" to "black" and see what happens.
CH
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 6:32:25 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
If I hear one more thing about minority rentention here at my state employer, instead of simply hiring the best man or woman for the job, I'm going to puke.

On a Seattle city project I asked if they "ever hire any White guys"....

The entire group was

Our local .gov is all White female hardcore lesbian types....

They didnt think it was funny me asking about minority hiring practices.  I think the truth hurts.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 6:36:16 AM EDT
[#24]
This thread has lasted much longer than I would have thought possible.

IBTL
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 6:36:42 AM EDT
[#25]
Jeez, people. Maybe it's just an innocent and truthful observation. Take a look at the medalists in any big-time track event. Is labeling a runner as "the fastest woman alive" is similarly tasteless? How about stating that that Yao (sp?) guy in the NBA is the "tallest Asian I've ever seen?"
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 6:41:10 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Jeez, people. Maybe it's just an innocent and truthful observation. Take a look at the medalists in any big-time track event. Is labeling a runner as "the fastest woman alive" is similarly tasteless? How about stating that that Yao (sp?) guy in the NBA is the "tallest Asian I've ever seen?"

I think that is part of the problem. It is just a truthful obsevation, however if we johnkerry it, flip it over it becomes racist. How is that right?

And tallest asian is different than talest yellow man!
CH
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 6:48:48 AM EDT
[#27]
I think the guy was just making a truthfull statement.  I saw the playback, and I have never seen a white guy run that fast!  The racist comments are somewhat stupid, but I think by now, most anyone, to include blacks can see the humor.          
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 8:16:17 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 8:18:08 AM EDT
[#29]
You know CavVet, you're pretty articulate for a black guy.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 8:19:13 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 8:24:15 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Hahaha!  
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 8:27:44 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 8:39:31 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Racist fuck

Change the word "white" to "black" and see what happens.
CH

BULLSHIT!

SO WHAT if some Race-baiting American self-proclaimed "Black Activists" try to paint everything as a race issue?

The sprinter is question was from Grenada - and should not be blamed for out countries stupid race sensitivities.

It is WRONG when Farakhan, Jackson, etc. claim stuff is racist when it isn't - why do so many of you eagerly do the same thing when the shoe is in the other foot?

The sprinter made a simple observation.  Some of the reactions here remind me of some of the uber-PC lins I met in college that were afraid to mention someone's race.  I would, no shit, have conversations like this:

Lib: "Have you met Mark Smith"

Me: "No, I don't think so, describe him to me"

Lib:  "Well, he is about your height, short hair, always wears sunglasses, drives a Silver Mustang"

Me:  "Oh yeah, black dude, right?"

Lib:  "Yeah, I guess so"

Fucking people so PC that they have to pretend not to notice such a key ID feature!

Link Posted: 8/24/2004 8:40:06 AM EDT
[#34]
Now I see ....IBTL +1
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 8:47:19 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

I think he prefers the term, "well-spoken."
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 8:52:21 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/24/2004 8:54:24 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/contrib/blackeye/hihi.gif

+1

IBTL

PIE
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 8:58:11 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 9:01:28 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

CavVet for President.

"Cause I'm white and I'd vote for him..."

Coming Soon CavVets Fried Chicken.

Get a Nappy Meal - It's Da Bomb.

NOW you've done it!!

"Mmmm MMmmmm....The General's Fried Chicken Sure Is Tasty!"

Link Posted: 8/24/2004 9:03:01 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 9:05:41 AM EDT
[#41]
Get me a bucket, White She-Devil!
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 9:05:47 AM EDT
[#42]
There's absolutely NOTHING racist about that comment.

Only a brainwashed PC-fool would try to ignore the patently OBVIOUS observation that blacks dominate Olympic sprint events and that a white man winning is genuinely rare and worthy of commenting.

"Oh gee look, the Emperor's new clothes look absolutely MARVELOUS don't they?!!"

Link Posted: 8/24/2004 9:06:14 AM EDT
[#43]
psssssst.  I slept with a white girl last night!
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 9:09:41 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

No kidding. I'd have him over for a beer (or drink of his choice, as I don't dring booze) if he lived closer.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 9:16:47 AM EDT
[#45]
Now for the jugular: Why is it   that blacks dominate so many athletics?

As a former three sport athlete in high school and NCAA athletics (football, basketball, track and field), I say it is a two-part answer:

1. Genetics and/or physical traits. Blacks have different bodies than whites. The musculature is different and lends itself to better performance in sports. This could be a real long answer, but that about sums it up.

2. Economics. Generally speaking, sports are a conduit for blacks to excel and escape. Many look at sports as a possible ticket to riches, a ticket out of a poor economic situation.

Anyone who's ever spent quality time competing with...and against blacks knows this stuff is true. Hell, half of them even told me so.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 9:21:38 AM EDT
[#46]
OK, I tend to agree, but this is what puzzles me:

There are few blacks in the Rangers, Green Beanies, SEALs, AF Parajumpers and even the Strongest Man competition.

Is it that their endurance lacks? "Burst of speed vs Stamina" issue?
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 9:25:49 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

There are few blacks in the Rangers, Green Beanies, SEALs, AF Parajumpers and even the Strongest Man competition.

No, I think it's that blacks join the military to learn a trade, by and large, and not to fight.  There are exceptions to the rule, certainly..but before you argue, go look at the racial composition of a combat infantry unit, then compare it to CS and CSS units.  I'd imagine that the same characteristics hold even more strongly as you move up the echelons from infantry to Airborne Inf to LRS to Ranger to SF/SEAL/Force Reconnaissance/etc.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 9:28:38 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Let the riots begin

Agreed.  Next time they should make it fair...maybe have a cop chase the black man to equal the playing field a little bit.

My .02 cents.

SGtra15
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 9:42:10 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, I think it's that blacks join the military to learn a trade, by and large, and not to fight.  There are exceptions to the rule, certainly..but before you argue, go look at the racial composition of a combat infantry unit, then compare it to CS and CSS units.  I'd imagine that the same characteristics hold even more strongly as you move up the echelons from infantry to Airborne Inf to LRS to Ranger to SF/SEAL/Force Reconnaissance/etc.

I won't speculate on the why - though I think QS is pretty much spot on - but the numbers are quite remarkable.  The last of my "command climate surveys" before leaving command of my CSS HQ from hell reported 48 percent black, 17 % white, 34% "other."  Of course, this didn't stop the EO advisor from suggesting I might have some racist white soldiers, since 46% reported being racially discriminated against either "frequently" or "occasionally" - when I suggested that maybe the numbers didn't add up, and that perhaps the white soldiers or Korean soldiers - by far the two largest minorities -were the ones possible feeling that way - she changed the subject and didn't feel it was worthy of looking in to!

Link Posted: 8/24/2004 9:47:26 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

If I had to be honest, I think a lot of Blacks join to escape. I would guess the lionshare of Blacks enlisting come from lower income families, but want soemthing more. College isnt an option, ro so they think, and the .mil is an easy out.

As for special forces, through the years the patriotism has worn down through the rank and file Blacks to almost nothing, making it the White guys the majority left who are all "hoo-yah, lets go specops".

I do know when I was in, just like Adams numbers suggest, Blacks were the #1 demograph in Combat Arms.

After all, fighting is a good trade when you think you have to fight the man.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top