Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/23/2004 11:25:14 PM EDT
DeGeneres to Star in 'Oh, God!' Remake

Aug 23, 10:31 PM (ET)

LOS ANGELES (AP) - Comedian Ellen DeGeneres is getting a promotion - to supreme being. DeGeneres will star as God in a remake of the 1977 comedy "Oh, God!"

The original starred George Burns as the creator and John Denver as a supermarket manager tapped as a new prophet.

"Ellen is a strong comedian and she has always done material about God and questions about God," said Jerry Weintraub, who produced the original movie and also will oversee the remake.

Weintraub said he'll hire a screenwriter and director with the aim to shoot the movie during a break in DeGeneres' schedule from her talk show next summer.

Though successful on the small screen, DeGeneres misfired in an earlier transition to film with the romantic-comedy flop "Mr. Wrong." She helped score a hit with her voice work on last year's animated tale "Finding Nemo."
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 11:26:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Well I wont be seeing that.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 11:28:48 PM EDT
[#2]
I wonder if there will be a lesbian strap-on dildo sceen that takes the place of the Supermarket sceen....
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 11:32:07 PM EDT
[#3]

ETA...I'd rather watch two pigs fuck.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 5:50:14 AM EDT
[#4]
OH GOD!

Followed by,

OH, GOD, YOU DYKE!
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 5:52:22 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

me either

I refuse to witness my God being portrayed by a fag
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 5:55:53 AM EDT
[#6]
This is truly blasphemous.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 5:57:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Someone is going to burn in hell for this one!
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 6:05:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Damn homo's...
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 7:51:44 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

+1

Can you say "blasphemy"?
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 7:56:16 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

+1

I won't go within 50 yards of anyplace showing that movie. Fire and Brimstone aren't exactly laser guided!
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 7:57:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Once again Hollyweird goes back and recycles something so they don't have to come up with an orginal idea (or more importantly PAY someone to have an orginal idea)

George Burns was PERFECT in the roll.  There is no one I can think of (living or dead) that could pull off it the way he did.

This is just pandering.  Something that Hollyweird is VERY good at.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 8:03:04 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
This is truly blasphemous.

GunLvr

Shew!
I saw this come across the pager this morning and I was starting to think I was the only person that considered this blasphemy.
God is being prtrayed by the Queen-pin dyke herself?!!!!

Not to mention as a film critic (which I'm really not) I have to ask a simple question.
Does Elen actually FIT this role?
I say, Hell NO!
For one, lets compare it to the original casting of George Burns.
While George may not have been the greatest actor to ever grace the screen he did IMHO fit this role. He was old for one. This gave the impression of the wisened father figure that we assume God to be. He was small and unassuming. Which I believe God would do if he wanted to walk amoung us. He blended in rather than standing out and drawing attention to himself.

Now, how in the hell, does Elen fit this part again?
She's not "old" per se.
She most certainly doesn't blend in.
We all know that she is FAR too opinionated for that NOT to come across in the film.

So aside from her total blasphemy in the first place, she doesn't fit the role anyway.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 8:26:07 AM EDT
[#13]
All part of Hollywoods social conditioning of the American Sheeple. A lesbian as God? God grief! What next, a child molestor as Jesus? A druggy as Moses?
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 8:34:22 AM EDT
[#14]
But, but, but, you see, man, see, God's all for peace and love, man, so God couldn't be a man, right? 'cuz men are all violent and stuff. So, we gotta make God a chick, man. Oh, and have her be a lesbian chick, 'cuz lesbians, right, we gotta show that God loves those of alternative sexual persuasions, man. Plus lesbians are totally hot, right?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top