Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/23/2004 7:36:48 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 7:38:37 PM EDT
[#1]

I've always felt that the olympics are very flawed.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 7:39:15 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Was that unreal or what?

Sorry to say, that that Russian shoulda got something.  This is why I don't think things like "diving", and "gymnastics" are real sports.  It's too "up in the air".  It relies on peoples opinions of things to determine a winner.  I prefer sports where there are clear winners and losers.

That being said, that freakin' Russian STILL kicked ass, and deserved a medal.  I thought he did way better than the American guy.

And no, I'm not gay.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 7:39:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Um....not live, at least. Fill us in?
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 7:41:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 7:47:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 7:48:06 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Was that unreal or what?

Sorry to say, that that Russian shoulda got something.  This is why I don't think things like "diving", and "gymnastics" are real sports.  It's too "up in the air".  It relies on peoples opinions of things to determine a winner.  I prefer sports where there are clear winners and losers.

That being said, that freakin' Russian STILL kicked ass, and deserved a medal.  I thought he did way better than the American guy.

And no, I'm not gay.

The Russian should have got GOLD.

+1
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 7:50:12 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Judges are using a Magic 8 Ball to score events.

Crowd got pissed and brought the games to a stop.

LOL, okay, time to find a TV around here (my olympics coverage here in China consists of refreshing espn and watching the highlight reels in McDonalds).
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 7:50:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Female Romanian gymnast up on floor exercise now, I'd hit it...
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 7:52:27 PM EDT
[#9]
What channel?
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 7:56:11 PM EDT
[#10]
good. maybe this will make them pull the gymnastics from the olympics
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 7:57:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Not tonite. I'm watching BOB with my new Garand.

OK, so I'm a gun nut. Sue me.

What happened?
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 8:03:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 8:07:01 PM EDT
[#13]
yup replay at 1
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 8:10:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 11:29:39 PM EDT
[#15]
In a boxing match for bronze, AUS vs Turkey?, the turks appointed the officials and they gave the Turkish boxer BS points so he got the bronze.  The crowd also jeered and booed the officials.  Same thing happened in a different boxing match.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 11:31:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Did it used to be this bad?
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 12:41:53 AM EDT
[#17]
Yes. Don't you remember the commie judges during the cold war?

Link Posted: 8/24/2004 12:48:24 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Yes. Don't you remember the commie judges during the cold war?

No In only 22
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 1:49:58 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Was that unreal or what?

And no, I'm not gay.

The Russian should have got GOLD.

Can I dissent? I think that the OVERALL exercise of the Italian was more clean from errors and he deserved the Gold Medal (Nemov had a step when landing that the Italian Igor Cassina didn't do...). But Nemov had fair chances to compete with the Italian and anyway HE SHOULD GET A MEDAL. Nemov was far superior than the japanese or the other guy...
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 5:27:32 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 5:30:12 AM EDT
[#21]
Why do all male gymnasts talk like either their voices haven't changed or they prefer the company of men, if you know what I mean?
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 5:37:22 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 5:44:01 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Judges are using a Magic 8 Ball to score events.

Crowd got pissed and brought the games to a stop.

It was about time. The judges were giving poor scores all night--too high or too low. The Russian won the Gold. No Question. Everyone there knew it including his fellow competitors.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 5:46:27 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 5:58:33 AM EDT
[#25]
I figured we'd hear all about shooting during the day's highlights since the American had the gold until he crossfired on his last shot.

2 kinds of people in this world: those who have crossfired and those who will. I feel bad that this was his time. Dropped him right out of the medals. It is a good judging system though, points are points. Not like the subjective opinions of crooked judges.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 6:01:57 AM EDT
[#26]
I couldn't care less about the olympics.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 6:08:30 AM EDT
[#27]
I don't have cable and I can't get any channels on an antenna, so no I don't watch the Olympics. Not that I wouldn't but it just isn't enough to make me order cable.

I agree that I hate the stupid subjective scoring systems. Sports that have clear cut winners and losers are much more to my tastes.

Sounds like that Russian should have won though. I'll have to watch it and see for myself.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 6:49:18 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 7:05:18 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 7:48:50 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 7:55:58 AM EDT
[#31]
Can't wait until 2008, when we get to subject our atheletes to the throngs and judging in BEIJING, CHINA.

This year will look like a picnic.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 7:59:05 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:
it was a travesty.

the crowd knew it.

the judges knew it.

the other athletes knew it.

if i were nemov, i would have requested a zero be given, rather than the bogus scores.

two judges were quick to try and correct their errors. more were not.

that said, the awarding of scores in many events are subjective. not every event can be exactly and repeatably quantified and the athletes have been aware of this since their first competitions.

as the one fellow above stated, all we need do is look back to the cold war olympics to see the 'politics' of judging and the judges that were bought by russia and the united states.

How cool would it have been if after Hamm got scored HIGHER than Nemov, if the two of them just walked out and got a cheeseburger.

Was a disgrace and in the end only made Hamm look bad. Nemov is a class act.

Not sure what that is all about.  I thought Hamm handled the situation very well, and performed very well.  I do think that Nemov should have won, but I also thought that Paul Hamm deserved the bronze.  What are you going to do?  The whole system need to be flushed and replaced with a far more objective scoring system.  There was plenty of dirty scores in the women's competition as well.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 8:02:13 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 8:06:39 AM EDT
[#34]
The Italian guy was the best on the High Bar IMO, then Nemov, then either the Japanese or Hamm.  

In the Rings, the Italian guy Chechi was the best but lost to the Greek.  

All jury systems are weak because of perceptions and prejudice.  Ice Skating has always been the worst judging, closely followed by Sky Diving
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 8:10:34 AM EDT
[#35]
As I mentioned before, I don't care much for summer Olympics, and this is one of the reasons.

Winter Olympics are another story. I'll watch just about every minute aired on TV. (EXCEPT figure skating)

The best thing is that most all the events involve a stopwatch that you really can't argue with (EXCEPT figure skating) and the X-C skiing and shooting (Modern Biathalon?) is super cool.

And the downhill skiing. Those chicks with great legs and asses in those skin tight racing suits.....
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 8:15:17 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 8:23:20 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
it was a travesty.

the crowd knew it.

the judges knew it.

the other athletes knew it.

if i were nemov, i would have requested a zero be given, rather than the bogus scores.

two judges were quick to try and correct their errors. more were not.

that said, the awarding of scores in many events are subjective. not every event can be exactly and repeatably quantified and the athletes have been aware of this since their first competitions.

as the one fellow above stated, all we need do is look back to the cold war olympics to see the 'politics' of judging and the judges that were bought by russia and the united states.

How cool would it have been if after Hamm got scored HIGHER than Nemov, if the two of them just walked out and got a cheeseburger.

Was a disgrace and in the end only made Hamm look bad. Nemov is a class act.

Not sure what that is all about.  I thought Hamm handled the situation very well, and performed very well.  I do think that Nemov should have won, but I also thought that Paul Hamm deserved the bronze.  What are you going to do?  The whole system need to be flushed and replaced with a far more objective scoring system.  There was plenty of dirty scores in the women's competition as well.

I need to clarify.

Hamm did NOTHING to disgrace himself.

However, in light of the All Around controversy, being scored higher than Nemov just put another dark cloud of controversy over him.

I suppose so, but no less than the other atheletes who placed ahead of Nemov.  That 'other' dark cloud of controversy involving the Korean routine has pretty much been cleared up.  The Korean was actually scored too high after ALL of the aspects were reviewed.  I feel sorry for the guy.  He does his best, and due to incompetence, or malice, his performances were distracted from.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 8:26:42 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Nemov is a class act.

agreed. i wish he would have come out and shut the crowd down earlier (for the other competitor's sake), but i completely understand why he did not.

frankly, this was just another blown call from the judges.

i started watching the summer games in 1964, and biased, bad and just plain incompetent scoring has reared its' ugly head many times.

i agree with torf. hamm appeared to a great job of dealing with the crowd's reaction, the score revision, etc.

AMEN!  This is nothing new, but gymnastics and figure skating are especially like this.  I wonder why...  
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 8:53:38 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 8:46:40 PM EDT
[#40]
... Even though the Olympics this year seem a bit lackluster, I still favor watching it over any other crappola on TV the past couple weeks.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 9:09:38 PM EDT
[#41]
PS - ... I don't ever remember little Chinese men kicking butts on negros in running games as bad as they are these days
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 9:31:21 PM EDT
[#42]
You might have gotten my attention if I had not made the mistake of watching Womans judo!!!

All I saw was like Rossan Barr grabing Rossaan and stumbling around till one fell down!

Then the one that fell down just layed there for twentyfive secounds!!

Great form  !!!

Bob
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top