Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/23/2004 7:13:00 PM EDT
Pretty intense stuff.  I am going out tomorrow and buying Bowden's book by the same name.  Bowden is commentating on the documentary.

Link Posted: 8/23/2004 7:14:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Seen it before....

that guy got OWNED.  
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 7:16:48 PM EDT
[#2]
It's great.  Escobar was one ruthless and psychotic MF.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 7:18:38 PM EDT
[#3]
The book is KICK ASS. A movie is being made about it with Javier Bardem as Pablo.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 5:08:28 AM EDT
[#4]
I actually met some guys from Columbia at a training session. I just barely mentioned the phrase "Los Pepes" and their conversation stopped and they stared at me real hard.

I wasn't too worried though. Their weapons were all along the wall and my Beretta was on my hip and loaded.... Tee hee.....
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 7:47:26 AM EDT
[#5]
unfortunately I missed about the last 1/3 because the woman had to watch some inane crap on comedy central
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 7:56:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 8:05:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Los Pepes!

We could use some Los Pepes in Iraq to go after that Sadr guy.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 8:24:57 AM EDT
[#8]
I watched it, though reluctantly. Never really all that interested in drug lords and all that stuff.

As the show went on, I was AMAZED at a lot of things I had no idea about. First, exactly how vast his empire/power/ruthlessness went. He blew a fuckin' commercial plane out of the sky! I mean this guy was a maniac, and ran the entire country. He had 2 presidential candidates killed, along with COUNTLESS others. His troops literally invaded the Columbian Supreme Court, and killed 11 of like 23 judges. He was responsible for the deaths of thousands of people.

Second, I never knew that Delta was involved in the hunt for him. I found the para-military/police/Delta/Los Pepes connection really interesting. First, how Los Pepes were handing Escobar the exact same type of terror that he himself had "given" Columbia for years. They literally terrorized the terrorist. From all accounts, this mysterious group was HIGHLY effective. Then, the Delta/Los Pepes connection. Los Pepes were so good at what they did, Delta was strongly suspected of not only training them, but also actually participating in their killings of Escobars thugs. The shadowed out Delta guy they interviewed seemed to have nothing but praise, in a subtle way, for Los Pepes. "They were good, very effective...and efficient."

As the heat got turned on to Escobar, the story gets really good, especially when he escapes from his "prison". As the interviews stated, the U.S. teams were thrilled at the news of his escape, becuse while he ran his empire from the security of his personal prison, he was untouchable. Once he escaped "the hunt was back on, and the gloves were off."

Fascinating shit...really glad I watched it.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 8:26:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 8:48:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Mark Bowden...wrote the book.  I picked up Killing Pablo after reading BHD.

Its an excellent read and yes Pablo Escobar was a ruthless SOB.  So many in Columbia were afraid to go after him because he would have them eliminated.  He used his terrorist methods and propaganda to convince many he was the victim.  Its a good thing that he's gone.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 8:51:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 9:26:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Saw it, great show. Now I gotta get the book..
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 9:30:38 AM EDT
[#13]
That probably would make a good movie...  Maybe center on some Delta operator and some Los Pepes guys turning that shit around on Escobar.  

And just to say it because it sounds so cool...

That guy got OWNED.  
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 10:23:50 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
That probably would make a good movie...  Maybe center on some Delta operator and some Los Pepes guys turning that shit around on Escobar.  

And just to say it because it sounds so cool...

That guy got OWNED.  

It would make a GREAT movie. Clear & Present Danger, as S.A. mentioned was based on that, but more along the lines of B.H.D., more reality based. The story needs zero dramatization...it's incredible just as it is.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top