Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/23/2004 7:04:47 PM EDT
Had an interesting experience with a 2000 today.  Got a call around 5:30 from the cell phone of one of the women at work in the parking lock.  She couldn't get it out of park.  I went to check it out, and sure enough, it was locked in hard.  This was level ground, and she appeared to be just barely touching the curb (no visible tire deformation).  However, since I couldn't rock it by hand, I knew she was touching it to some degree.   No amount of strength was going to free it as was.  The wheels were nearly at their maximum angle turning right.  I figured that straightening them would only increase the pressure as well as stress the pump, so I just fought it trying to get it un locked.  I ended up straighening the wheels, and it didn't work the first time, but going another time from stop to stop did the trick and it popped out.

In NO WAY should it have become this stuck with that little pressue.  Any experience?
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 7:08:08 PM EDT
[#1]
WTF is torque lock?
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 7:13:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Was she running it in 4wd on a hard surface?  
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 7:15:30 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Was she running it in 4wd on a hard surface?  

Nope, 2wd at the time of the problem.  This is only in 4wd during snow and ice, a distant memory in August.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 7:18:22 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
WTF is torque lock?

Torque lock is when the "Park" parking lock device in an AT is stressed enough so it is very difficult to disengage.  It normally happens on a hill, and severity varies with the stress involved.  The curb resistance in this case was artifically creating slope conditions this time...
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 7:22:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 7:22:25 PM EDT
[#6]
If  just the parking curb caused the torque lock i would have her get the tranny looked at just little amout shouldn't of caused it to lock up
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 7:24:34 PM EDT
[#7]
You know, I just thought of something.  On my Toyota 4Runner there was a small panel near the Automatic shift lever.  My Rav4 has it, too.  I forget the purpose of it, but you could unlock the tranny by popping the panel off and pressing inward.  I believe it's called a shift lock override button.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 7:28:08 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
You know, I just thought of something.  On my Toyota 4Runner there was a small panel near the Automatic shift lever.  My Rav4 has it, too.  I forget the purpose of it, but you could unlock the tranny by popping the panel off and pressing inward.  I believe it's called a shift lock override button.

I've got a 4Runner too, and when I first got the call, I thought it was a similar thing.  However, that toyota override overrides the mechanical button that prevents the shifter from moving unless the brake is applied.  It does not change the pawl engagement.  Good thought, but I don't think that's it.  
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 7:31:25 PM EDT
[#9]
get a manual tranny! only communists drive automatics
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 7:34:34 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Only needle dicks drive manuals....    Seriously, I like manuals, but if I'm buying, it's going to be an automatic...
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 7:35:37 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Only needle dicks drive manuals....  

huh
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 7:54:16 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

In NO WAY should it have become this stuck with that little pressue.  Any experience?

Just a thought .... But were the brake lights working , seen more then one car with a flakey brake light switch that won't disengage the shift interlock .
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 7:57:10 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just a thought .... But were you trying to shift it without your foot on the brake ?

a 2000 should have a shift interlock .

Nope, brake was applied.  Originally I though that the interlock failed and was looking for an override (see above).  However, you could hear it engage and disengage when the brake was manipulated.  It was definately torque lock.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 8:11:17 PM EDT
[#14]

The wheels were nearly at their maximum angle turning right. I figured that straightening them would only increase the pressure as well as stress the pump, so I just fought it trying to get it un locked. I ended up straighening the wheels, and it didn't work the first time, but going another time from stop to stop did the trick and it popped out.

Hindsight is 20-20, but letting some air out of the tires might have also helped, by reducing contact with the curb.

Usually, getting two or three burly-type guys to push the vehicle back and forth a few inches will allow you to get it out of Park.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top