Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/23/2004 4:08:19 PM EDT
Well, on vacation, so I thought I'd go for a ride.
Here is the North Gate:

The road was nice and clear of traffic except some pedalers:

1000ft.:

The road:

2000ft.:

Stopped to pay the enterance fee:

Some gravel that I almost lowsided on.  A nice howdoyado:

Finally at the top:

Beyond all the haze and clouds are the Sierras.  From the top you can see Half Dome on a clear day and see more square miles that any other peak except for Mt. Kilamanjaro.  At least that's what they say:

Looking toward home:

A guy and his kids were checking out the bike.  The kids were a hoot.

Southgate Rd. has some nice turns:

I took the long way home around the back of the mountain. Bad idea. The road was horrible.  Still it was a fun trip and may go up again next week.  Only one close call on the gravel, luckily I was going slow on that section for just such a reason.  Thanks for looking.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 4:31:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Beautiful pics. Once in my youth I rode my bike up that road, a whole lot faster going down than up...

Did you walk any of the back trails and check out the Caves or mining camp?
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 4:42:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Cool pics I moved to Fairfield 3 years ago. I've lived in concord and clayton most of my  life our clayton house used to have an awesome view of mt diablo.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 4:49:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Cool. You could probably zoom in on where I live from there with a Telephoto. I didn't know you were so nearby!
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 6:22:26 PM EDT
[#4]
I was under the impression that 'diablo' was a small mountain south of the Sac. River west of Antioch.  The pics make me think it's elsewhere.

I spent some of the best weekends of my life in the mid-late 90s windsurfing on in the delta on Sherman Island.  
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 6:27:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Cool.  I went to Mt Diablo High School in Concord CA for 9th and 10th grade.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 10:55:08 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Beautiful pics. Once in my youth I rode my bike up that road, a whole lot faster going down than up...

Did you walk any of the back trails and check out the Caves or mining camp?

Nah, just rode up and down.  Probably go to Rock City with a friend next week though.  I don't see how people ride bikes up and down that, though there were quite a few out there.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 10:58:40 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I was under the impression that 'diablo' was a small mountain south of the Sac. River west of Antioch.  The pics make me think it's elsewhere.

I spent some of the best weekends of my life in the mid-late 90s windsurfing on in the delta on Sherman Island.  

It's actually south of Antioch.  I didn't take any pictures that direction but it is basically in between the two that I posted.  
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 10:59:47 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Cool. You could probably zoom in on where I live from there with a Telephoto. I didn't know you were so nearby!

Well, if you would show up for some of the calguns.net shoots you would know.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top