Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/23/2004 3:59:01 PM EDT
Lets see, 19 months in RVN instead of four, first purple heart would have been for nine stitches on right arm from razor wire caused by my not being careful while stringing it during what might have been a sniper assault  but most likely was a truck backfiring, second would have been for burning hell out of my left hand changing a M60 barrel, third for big assed splinter I got in my right foot from running into a bunker in flip flops during a rocket attack, and fourth for twelve stitches in my head caused by having to unass a D7 bulldozer because of an atack by VC hornets. I have photos to prove I was in Cambodia in the City and a SKS and Tokarev pistol too. And, believe it or not, I also shot a VC in the back but I used a .50 and instead of a silver star all I got out of it is nightmares and still feel like shit about it. (12B, A Co, 65th Eng Bn, 25th Inf Div)    Anyone else?

rk
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 4:38:44 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Lets see, 19 months in RVN instead of four, first purple heart would have been for nine stitches on right arm from razor wire caused by my not being careful while stringing it during what might have been a sniper assault  but most likely was a truck backfiring, second would have been for burning hell out of my left hand changing a M60 barrel, third for big assed splinter I got in my right foot from running into a bunker in flip flops during a rocket attack, and fourth for twelve stitches in my head caused by having to unass a D7 bulldozer because of an atack by VC hornets. I have photos to prove I was in Cambodia in the City and a SKS and Tokarev pistol too. And, believe it or not, I also shot a VC in the back but I used a .50 and instead of a silver star all I got out of it is nightmares and still feel like shit about it. (12B, A Co, 65th Eng Bn, 25th Inf Div)    Anyone else?

rk

Most likely you are a war hero. I served with the 1/327, 101st, I'm a hero too. Give Kerry his due.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 7:46:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Kerry's due...is that he lied about his actions in Vietnam, cheated on his medals, betrayed his fellow soldiers and is a dishonest, dishonorable SOB. Period! Follow more stories of real heroes...and see what they paid for their medals. Kerry is the lowest of the sorts of men.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 7:50:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Thank you for your service.

Got some stories...

Put away.

Semper Fi
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 2:07:25 AM EDT
[#4]
My thanks to all who served but remember, in kerry's eyes and by his words, those who served are war criminals. In all the snippets of his 1971 testimony that I've seen, I haven't seen him calling himself a criminal. Or did he and I missed it? I'm serious about this question.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 11:36:38 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Kerry's due...is that he lied about his actions in Vietnam, cheated on his medals, betrayed his fellow soldiers and is a dishonest, dishonorable SOB. Period! Follow more stories of real heroes...and see what they paid for their medals. Kerry is the lowest of the sorts of men.

Whatever Kerry has done or said in the last 30+ years, since leaving RVN, is fair game.

I don't know and pretty much don't care what his positions have been.

I do know this:

The Viet Nam war was bullshit. It was fought for bullshit reasons. The Vietnamese people hated us, at least 90% did. Wealthy land owners supported us.

Guerilla war is a tough one. I know atrocities were committed on both sides. That is the nature of war.

The biggerst atrocities are iinherent in dropping napalm, using claymore mines, using .50 cal machine guns on troops, using booby traps, etc.

There is nothing wrong with having been anti-Viet Nam war after coming home. Most troops were, but kept quiet about it.

If you feel Kerry's speaking out against the war and recounting stories of atrocities he heard about make him a no good SOB, that's your opinion and you are entitled to it.

Claiming a conspiracy throughout the military to get Kerry a few medal that have been meaningless for 30 years, is wrong. Nit picking 30 year old testimony is a waste of time.

I was watching TV with my dad in 1971 when the postman delivered a letter telling me I had been awarded the Bronze Star. Did I want to go the West Point for the award ceremony or just have it mailed to me? I chose to have it mailed.

Lots of people got medals. Some didn't. Just about everyone who served in combat deserved one. I'm more proud of my CIB than the Bronze Star.

Go after the man's voting record and positions. He served in combat. Attacking his service diminishes you, not him.

Link Posted: 8/24/2004 12:31:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 1:53:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Spent better part of a year in country during GW1 with I MEF.
If you weren't there, words can't describe it.
If you were there, nothing needs to be said.
I don't consider myself a hero.

Link Posted: 8/24/2004 2:11:45 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Whatever Kerry has done or said in the last 30+ years, since leaving RVN, is fair game.

I don't know and pretty much don't care what his positions have been.

I do know this:

The Viet Nam war was bullshit. It was fought for bullshit reasons. The Vietnamese people hated us, at least 90% did. Wealthy land owners supported us.

Guerilla war is a tough one. I know atrocities were committed on both sides. That is the nature of war.

The biggerst atrocities are iinherent in dropping napalm, using claymore mines, using .50 cal machine guns on troops, using booby traps, etc.

There is nothing wrong with having been anti-Viet Nam war after coming home. Most troops were, but kept quiet about it.

If you feel Kerry's speaking out against the war and recounting stories of atrocities he heard about make him a no good SOB, that's your opinion and you are entitled to it.

Claiming a conspiracy throughout the military to get Kerry a few medal that have been meaningless for 30 years, is wrong. Nit picking 30 year old testimony is a waste of time.

I was watching TV with my dad in 1971 when the postman delivered a letter telling me I had been awarded the Bronze Star. Did I want to go the West Point for the award ceremony or just have it mailed to me? I chose to have it mailed.

Lots of people got medals. Some didn't. Just about everyone who served in combat deserved one. I'm more proud of my CIB than the Bronze Star.

Go after the man's voting record and positions. He served in combat. Attacking his service diminishes you, not him.

I can respect that he served but I'm not going to just turn a blind eye to glaring evidence that he is a liar, and of very poor personal quality.  The character qualities that make people trustworthy and honorable don't come and go to often.  If you were a slime in your late twenties you are probably still a slime in your 30's and 40's.  His refusal until today to turn lose of several of his "stories" kind of tells me he was planning to keep spinning his yarns right up to and past the elections.  As long as nobody called him on it.  So yes, when you use lies to affect the direction of public debate you can expect to be called on them.

His character is an issue.  A man of good character does not trump up his reports and then lobby to get medals.  He does not use military service as nothing more than a 4 month excursion needed to buy political points.  He does not leave his men behind while he exploits a rule that sends him home early for a cut, a bruise, and piece of rice in his ass.  Is that really what anyone would want to lead the nation?  In short he is the very example of self-serving asshole against which Hal Morris, Patrick Brady, and Tommy Franks shine so brightly.  They are people who I admire.  John Kerry and his medals can drop dead.  If that's the kind of man he is I would not vote for him at gunpoint.

I respect everyone who put their foot down in that hell hole in Asia, but I don't have to like them, or quietly accept their lies because they served and are now unassailable as heros.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 2:27:47 PM EDT
[#9]
I disagree with your opinion jimb100 but I'll buy you a beer and salute you too because you're honorable and didn't rat out on your buddies by kick-starting a political career in Hanoi.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top