Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/23/2004 3:33:50 PM EDT
I will be attending the RNC convention and have become concerned with the threat posed by the domestic terrorists that call themselves activists.

Since I'm flying into NYC from out-of-state, I figure I could take something like an ASP in a checked bag.  I realize that I could not take it into Madison Square Garden but I would like to have something to defend myself as I tour the city.

These crazed liberals are actively planning to attack delegates in various areas of the city and at Broadway shows.  Though I plan on traveling as inconspicuously as possible, I sure don't want to be defenseless.

I would appreciate any input from NYC locals especially as to the legality of pepper spray, ASPs, etc.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 3:39:01 PM EDT
[#1]
If you cause somebody physical injury in NYC as a result of defending yourself, you WILL be arrested. Trust me on this. I'd go with the pepper spray at the most.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 3:39:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Plastic Kerambit

You're welcome.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 3:42:20 PM EDT
[#3]
If anything I would bring some sort of cheap mask to filter out all the Mace being sprayed in those assholes' face.  Also to filter out the horse shit smell, the calvary will be out in force.  Horses don't like anarchists.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 3:44:11 PM EDT
[#4]
If you bring your own weapons I'd have to say that bad idea across the board...you will be labeled a right wing extremist and fuck things up for the rest of us.

just kill the first bad guy that tries to kill you and take his weapon - then kill more....
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 3:44:32 PM EDT
[#5]
How about a crown of thorns and a big ass cross? It's going to be fucking ugly, I'm glad I'm not you.

Peace out, Wave and other New Yorkers.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 3:47:54 PM EDT
[#6]
An M1A1 tank with a bunch of canister munitions would be nice. I'm sure that would disperse the surviving hippies pretty quickly. If not, a back-up Bradley with a squad of well fed and belt fed infantry inside would likely finish them off.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 3:53:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 3:56:46 PM EDT
[#8]
A shark stick isn't a firearm and would sure stop ANYONE very DEAD in their tracks.www.beco-products.com/beco_catalog.htm

Bang Stick info
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 3:58:37 PM EDT
[#9]
All kidding aside, I have heard they are expecting a lot of anarchists to be on hand. Even many on the left are concerned. I heard some democratic spokesperson talking about how he hated the thought of these protestors and anarchists getting really out of hand, because he said it would benefit Bush. Too bad the bastard is more concerned about the fallout harming Kerry than the deaths and injuries that could be created by those trouble making asshats who support him!
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 4:00:53 PM EDT
[#10]
are asps and other weapons even legal in NY City?
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 4:17:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Don't brush your teeth.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 4:24:07 PM EDT
[#12]

One of each of these would be a good start!

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 4:26:22 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Plastic Kerambit

You're welcome.

oohhh my new keychain.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 4:27:24 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I doubt the ASP is. I'm pretty sure it's illegal to carry one concealed here in milwaukebabwe.

Link Posted: 8/23/2004 4:30:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Use your best weapon:  your brain.  

Shouldn't be too hard to anticipate and avoid trouble.  If need be, you should be able to quite easily improvise a variety of impact weapons and/or sharp, pointy things to make yourself feel better about being "unarmed".  

The best confrontations are ones that never occur.

Link Posted: 8/23/2004 4:34:29 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

An ASP is considered by NY State law to be a Deadly Weapon and ILLEGAL to posses unless you are a LEO. Mace though is legal to posses and as long as you use it lawfully there's no problem.

Good Luck
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 4:35:58 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
All kidding aside, I have heard they are expecting a lot of anarchists to be on hand. Even many on the left are concerned. I heard some democratic spokesperson talking about how he hated the thought of these protestors and anarchists getting really out of hand, because he said it would benefit Bush. Too bad the bastard is more concerned about the fallout harming Kerry than the deaths and injuries that could be created by those trouble making asshats who support him!

Well, as I said in another thread, I hope they (The protesters) put on a freakin' CIRCUS!  I want over-turned cop cars and trachcans through windows and screaming, hysterical, hate-filled left-wingers and Dem' stooges getting their ugly mugs in front of the cameras to spew their "Vision" for a better America.

If there's any doubt left after that to the "Undecided" voters about whos team they want in the White-House then this country'll deserve Kerry.

The Rep's showed-up at the Dem' convention and had THEIR protests but it was NOTHING compared to the SH*T I see the Dem's gettin' ready to unleash.  I say let 'em go for it.  Let's see 'em without their masks on.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 4:44:18 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
If anything I would bring some sort of cheap mask to filter out all the Mace being sprayed in those assholes' face.  Also to filter out the horse shit smell, the cavalry will be out in force.  Horses don't like anarchists.

fixed

Calvary is what these heathen also want to avoid.

wganz
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 4:44:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 4:53:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Got a limp? I have one of these and they are a big ol can of whoop ass.

read about it
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 4:58:26 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
If you bring your own weapons I'd have to say that bad idea across the board...you will be labeled a right wing extremist and fuck things up for the rest of us.
just kill the first bad guy that tries to kill you and take his weapon - then kill more....

The press can make a bunch of Nuns with crosses into a bunch of Catholic extremist nuts.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 4:58:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 4:59:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Im at 12 East 52nd Street if SHTF.  All ARFCOMMER members welcome.

Just walk inside my building and tell the security guard "AR15.com"  and they will page me.

Link Posted: 8/23/2004 5:03:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 5:11:39 PM EDT
[#25]
find my friends from Protest Warrior.  They will take care of you.

protestwarrior.com/

i wish i could make it
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 5:17:01 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Im at 12 East 52nd Street if SHTF.  All ARFCOMMER members welcome.

Just walk inside my building and tell the security guard "AR15.com"  and they will page me.

I might have to take you up on that offer....
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 6:32:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 6:38:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Bring a video camera and film the riots/beatings/protestors first hand.  Then hand it over to the police to have the scum busted.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 6:43:42 PM EDT
[#29]
I will be there no need to bring weapons.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 6:43:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 7:16:34 PM EDT
[#31]
Wave- if you can find him! He's going to be a tad busy....
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 7:22:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Male barrier conterceptives,  money/foodstamps and  blow,

Link Posted: 8/23/2004 7:49:08 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I doubt the ASP is. I'm pretty sure it's illegal to carry one concealed here in milwaukebabwe.

In 1998, I had a county mounty tell me that if he ever saw me out with mine again, I'd be arrested on the spot.

...he did let me go home with it, though...

Mike
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 8:04:57 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Man, I don't even know what to tell you. Best advice would be to AVOID ALL CROWDS if possible!(Yeah Right).

I'm no spokesperson for the NYPD but I do know that this particular officer will be avoiding the subways and rail systems.

I heard from an Army friend stationed in North Carolina that if the SHTF here they'll be rapidly deployed. Once again, just something I've heard...

Good luck.

HEY!  I'm covering the Subways.  Did your extended tours start yet?

As for the original question.  LEAVE THE ASP HOME!!!  Unless you'd like to see our f--ked up legal system from the inside.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 8:09:35 PM EDT
[#35]
those bang sticks and shark sticks are probably extremely illegal under the NYC Sullivan Laws, those were written back in the good old days when they wanted to have a reason to arrest anyone in the city if they felt like it.  Inother straight razors were illegal in the days when every Gentleman had one for each day of the week, etc.

And if they expel a projectile by the force of expanding gas, they probably fit the legal definition of firearm almost everywhere.

I'ld study the NYC laws and maybe suggest an IM with questions to some of our NYPD bretheren as to what they straight skinny is going to be.  I would bet that any for real weapon is a no-no under most normal circumstances and having  anything paarticulalrly nasty is going to be a real go to jail card.  They aren't going to have time to sort the good guys from the bad guys in the field, you all will go to a pen and get sorted when they have the time.

Heavy duty pens, a reasonable key ring, breath spray? I've seen some particularly nassty looking warnings on some insect repellent lately, I mean you wouldn't want to take a chance on mosquitoes and West Nile would you? Pocketknifes are probably technically illegal but a reasonable one in most circumstances might be OK, you may have to give it up at some checkpoints.  Small mag-lite could be  real useful and who could blame you for being prepared for a black-out?
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 6:09:51 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 10:25:34 AM EDT
[#37]
This is not legal advice but if it were me...I'd take a very sharp folding knife.  That's what I carry in the 3rd World since I can't carry a gun--no way anyone is taking me hostage alive.  In a real crowd situation no one will even be able to tell who is slashing who, and I'd slash (shallow long cuts) as opposed to stabbing which can easily kill someone.  And if the blade is nice and sharp they might not even immediately notice they were cut.

I doubt you are going to have any problems.  The NYPD is going to be everywhere and if anyone gets violent the NYPD will crack skulls.  

Remember that media will outnumber delegates (and possibly even protestors) and those media pantywaists demand protection.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 10:35:39 AM EDT
[#38]
looks like I'll be missing all the excitement. I fly into LaGuardia on the 3rd, day AFTER the convention ends.

Still, the E2D is going with me, along with my Gerber folder. As much as I trust my life to my Strider folder, too damn expensive to lose to some TSA puke in transit (if you think they won't look through my checked bag and take it, you're smoking crack).

ETA: Anyone have any experience with taking the Surefire E2D on board? wondering if they'd bust me with it versus taking an L4 (no pronounced strike bezel)
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 11:04:32 AM EDT
[#39]
1.legal knife.
2.Pepper spray
3.  5" Paracord between two chunks of keys. Two heavy duty steel split rings to hold the keys.
One set of keys has less than 5 keys the other ring has 15 keys.  The large ring sits in your pocket and the lighter set or the handle should hang just outside your pocket. It may not sound like a good defensive weapon but a hit to the face would be painful.
Who said they had to be your keys

Good luck. I pity you.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 11:12:25 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 5:39:50 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
From what I recall Mace is NOT legal in NY... pepper spray is if the concentration is below a certain threshold.  Besides, you will not be allowed to carry it inside the Garden, it will be taken from you.  Save it for walking around the city when not in the convention, leave it in your hotel.  Also, I do not believe you can fly with it.  Definitely not in the cabin, maybe not even checked due to the pressurization issues.  You can buy it in the City, many drug stores stock it.

The rolled newspaper is a good idea.  A pair of work shoes with steel toes.  A thick belt with a large buckle.  Keys can always be used in an emergency.  A quality stainless steel pen like Cross.  A cane is a good choice if you can effect a limp.  A roll of quarters in your fist will pack a hell of a wallop, at the risk of breaking your fingers though.  A roll of quarters in a sock makes a nice bludgeon, as does a bar of soap.

Just remember, once you use any of these everyday common household goodies to injure someone, it becomes a "Dangerous Instrument."  Your best equipment would be a good pair of running shoes.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 6:02:45 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 7:33:49 AM EDT
[#43]
I would say you best defense against the anti-Bush activists/anarchists would be a "Kerry/Edwards '04" t-shirt. Wear that as you stroll effortlessly through the crowd as you will surely go unnoticed. ONce you get to the front door, pull it off, light it on fire, and throw it into the crowd.

I seriously doubt that LEO in there are going to discriminate between left and right wing protestors. If you are committing a violent act you're about 110% likely to be tossed in the wagon with the other wack jobs.

Leave all your hardware at home. If you feel you need any sort of upper hand in defending yourself, should things get out of hand, use regular items: and good, solid pen, keys, that big brick on your keychain (Texaco restroom keys gave me this idea), a glass bottle of cola.

Weapons will only make it harder for you to get through the doors.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 8:21:37 AM EDT
[#44]
Those whacky, peace loving muslims liberal democrats aren't going to riot or hurt anyone.  They are just going to hold peaceful, loving protest in order to get their point across.  Afterall, they are against all the violence that the Republicans use on the daily basis.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top