Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/23/2004 3:31:51 PM EDT
Its about gun registration, my buddy, just sold me a Remington 512, 22 bolt action, he got it from an old lady whos husband died. I can't find serial number marked on the gun, except for a K and an L or C hard to make out. My question is, is the gun to old to have any serial number markings, and if so do I still have to somehow transfer it to my name. Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 3:36:29 PM EDT
[#1]
If it is on the long arm C&R list, you can transfer it.  If not, no.

But then again, who's gonna know?  Long arms aren't registered like handguns are.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 4:43:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Serial numbers were not required in the U.S. prior to the 1968 GCA (diehard historians will argue, correctly, that more than a few production models were produced sans serial numbers since then, but that's a topic for another thread).

The 500 series .22's were introduced between 1937 and 1940. IIRC, the last model out was the 513T, produced for the last time in 1968.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 10:16:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Generally, in CA, if it is a long gun, and it is > 50 years old, then you do not need paperwork to sell.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 7:27:13 AM EDT
[#4]
a gun that old doesnt need to be transferred the more guns you dont have on paper the better.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 8:54:12 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Serial numbers were not required in the U.S. prior to the 1968 GCA (diehard historians will argue, correctly, that more than a few production models were produced sans serial numbers since then, but that's a topic for another thread).

The 500 series .22's were introduced between 1937 and 1940. IIRC, the last model out was the 513T, produced for the last time in 1968.

Wow, didn't think it was that old, if I new that I would have left it original and not refinished the stock, looks nicer though. thanks for all your help.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 10:23:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Also, remington.com, has an 800 number you can call to get a manufacture date for  your "serial letters".
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top