Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/23/2004 3:08:56 PM EDT
I’m an A&P mechanic and have been in aviation maintenance for 19 years. I was recently laid off from my dream job of working for the airlines. I’ve exhausted my job possibilities for aviation in my area and have been looking at other jobs where my experience may transfer over.

It’s strange thinking about moving on into another career field in your late 30’s after being in aviation for so long. Anyone else been in those shoes before? Which field did you start out in and end up in?
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 3:12:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Law Enforcement to Foodservice Equipment Sales
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 3:13:34 PM EDT
[#2]
I have two degrees one in Finance and one in MIS,
I'm a Bush Pilot in Alaska, go figure
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 3:21:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Luckily, yes, I am currently employed in my field...  but I am underemployed/underpaid (making about 35% less than what I was making 3 years ago).  Gee, I'll give you one guess which field I am in...  
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 3:35:02 PM EDT
[#4]
I was a new car dealer service manager for high end German cars till 1995.
Now I run field crews locally for a multi national engineering firm. Its a whole lot better but I still dont like my job. But hey who said life was easy.

Link Posted: 8/23/2004 3:37:42 PM EDT
[#5]
BA in architecture? check
MS in construction management? check
Job as a project manager for a commercial contractor? check

Yup, I'd say I'm in my field.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 3:51:30 PM EDT
[#6]

Generally speaking, yes...

B.S. in Psychology
M.S.+ in Applied Behavioral Studies in Education
Certified as an Educational Diagnostician and as a psychologist.

First 3.5 years in the "real world" I was a social worker for a state agency.  I'm now in my fourth year as a school psychologist.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 3:58:11 PM EDT
[#7]
10 years studying and working with law enforcement (started as an Explorer at 14), now I shovel asphalt and drive a dump truck for the city public works.  I'd say I strayed somewhere.  but I still work in law enforcement part-time.  so I guess I'm a yes and no.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 4:04:57 PM EDT
[#8]
My field was education, but I quickly figured out I hated how the public schools are being run these days, the area private schools didn't pay squat, so I left it. Now I do contract work (grant projects mostly) for local government. It allows me to pretty much work my own schedule, do much of it at home and have lots of time to hang out here in-between it all. No complaints and no regrets at all from me for making the switch.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 4:09:17 PM EDT
[#9]
BS Forestry- Virginia Tech

I work as a consulting forester
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 4:10:38 PM EDT
[#10]
I was a server tech.  Mostly Compaq/HP and Cisco gear in medium to larger datacenter (500+ servers)  Mostly Windows with a little UNIX for web and backup silo.  With ENRON and the general crappy IT world, I moved into broadcast television doing production and satellite work.  Connectivity is connectivity.  IT sucks anyways because most of the poeple you encounter are not technically curious, they are just money whores who jumped on the iT bandwagon out of greed.  IN broadcast those people would not last a day.  I make a little less, but I work with folks who are technically driven and enjoy what they do.  That's worth a great deal.
Plus no shirt and tie
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 4:43:18 PM EDT
[#11]
I was a BS-ing Logger until 1995 when I saved enough money to move away from the owl inhabited trees to the clear skies of North Central Washington. I consider myself retired from real work and any job I do now is because I want to...I guess you could say they are hobbies now.

MT
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 4:45:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Geek working as a manager of Geeks.

Yep!
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 4:48:22 PM EDT
[#13]
I went to Hobart to learn to weld.

5 Years later, I'm LE
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 4:51:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Nope - haven't for maybe 7 years.  It is not for lack of effort in trying to get back into the field.

Huh.  I called up the department head of another operation that the corporation owns, and asked for a transfer from my job into an engineering job that pays TWICE as much.  She was puzzled that I would want to transfer when I already had a job with the company.  Lets see..... working in my field and making more money, etc.  

Link Posted: 8/23/2004 4:53:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Still railroading.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 4:57:50 PM EDT
[#16]
BS Mechanical Engineering
Masters of Business Administration

I'm a computer programmer so negative.

- CD
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 5:07:57 PM EDT
[#17]
BS in MIS

Job:  Car salesman
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top