Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/23/2004 12:55:41 PM EDT
I was thinking about how unbelievably miserable it must be for soldiers in combat there in Iraq, and having those bloody flak vests to boot.

I was wondering if the guys in Iraq use those cold pak thingees used to chill fresh fish to cool down in the field?  They're basically a water/ammonium nitrate gel which creates an endothermic chemical reaction (becomes cold) encased in plastic.

Iraq vets, active military personnel here, are these used in Iraq by our troops?  Maybe development of a specialized vest to cool down a soldier's core temperture might be a useful thing to stave off dehydration, heat exhaustion?
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 12:59:36 PM EDT
[#1]
I've been sending Cool-Danas with every care package.  Those are the bandanas that you soak in water and wear around your neck.  I have received a few emails from the guys that got them and they say they really help.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 1:02:09 PM EDT
[#2]
We use them at my work all the time. We have vests that hold 3-4 on both the front and back of your torso, and they work very well.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 1:24:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 2:46:54 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I was wondering if the guys in Iraq use those cold pak thingees used to chill fresh fish to cool down in the field?  They're basically a water/ammonium nitrate gel which creates an endothermic chemical reaction (becomes cold) encased in plastic.

Iraq vets, active military personnel here, are these used in Iraq by our troops?  Maybe development of a specialized vest to cool down a soldier's core temperture might be a useful thing to stave off dehydration, heat exhaustion?

www.thermotux.com
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 3:11:26 PM EDT
[#5]
prolyl not a bad idea, but i'd be worried abotu thme bursting under the weight. WE had our interceptors on underneath LBV's. putting the packs on the outside woudl make no sense, and under the plates, they'd likely squash.

I do have one of them cool dana things... they work pretty good.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 3:16:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 3:22:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Merkava (sp) tanks have A/C and a chilled water tank on board.

You would think they could figure a way to put a decent HVAC system in all but the most bare-bones vehicles.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top