Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/23/2004 11:34:36 AM EDT
news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20040823/tv_nm/television_alda_dc_3

Alan Alda Elected to Serve on 'West Wing'

Mon Aug 23, 9:37 AM ET
By Nellie Andreeva

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - Alan Alda (news) is returning to series television. The five-time Emmy winner will join the cast of NBC's White House drama "The West Wing" next season, playing a Republican from California with presidential aspirations.

Also joining the series is Marley Shelton, ("Uptown Girls"), who will play a former feature reporter mentored by Danny Concannon (Timothy Busfield) who becomes White House deputy press secretary.

Mary McCormack (USA's "Traffic"), who guest-starred in several episodes last season as the brash new Deputy National Security Adviser, will return as a permanent fixture. Jimmy Smits, meanwhile, is in talks to come on board the series.

Playing a Republican senator is familiar territory for Alda. He plays Maine Sen. Ralph Owen Brewster in Martin Scorsese's upcoming Howard Hughes biopic "The Aviator."

The "West Wing" role marks Alda's first major series commitment since his award-winning run on CBS' "M*A*S*H*." In 1999, he did an Emmy-nominated stint on "ER," which is executive produced by "West Wing" producer John Wells.

In March, Alda will begin rehearsals for the Broadway production of David Mamet's play "Glengarry Glen Ross," which will also star Liev Schreiber.

Reuters/Hollywood Reporter

what's even better, is that he's going to play a republican
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 11:38:48 AM EDT
[#1]
I've never watched that show for any length of time.  It's unbelievable that it's still on.  Martin Sheen, previously Rob Lowe, now Alan Alda.  Who wants to watch that liberal crap?
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 11:42:16 AM EDT
[#2]
It's a pretty good show.  You just have to keep in mind that there is an agenda to it.  Maybe someone will come out with a version of the show that shows the conservativre point of view in a similar fashion.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 11:49:28 AM EDT
[#3]
I watch it. do  lot of eye rolling and laughing at it though. I will say one thing, when the Ainsley Hayes character was on (she's the blond on CSI Miami now) they had her give a replublican view without looking like a nut. I really liked when she discredited the equal rights amendment as redundant and not needed
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 11:52:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 11:59:33 AM EDT
[#5]
I used to like MASH when I was younger, then a few years ago I found out it was really just a liberal anti Vietnam rant, especially the movie version
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 12:06:00 PM EDT
[#6]
MASH sucked after the first few seasons.  Alan Alda as a Republican?  Yeah that will be believeable TV.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 12:11:10 PM EDT
[#7]
That feminist chick on West Wing is HOT!
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 12:14:13 PM EDT
[#8]
"The West Wing" is quality television programming. It's just *left-leaning* quality programming.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 12:49:22 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
what's even better, is that he's going to play a republican

As the Devil incarnate, I'd suspect.  
 Drinking, womanizing, greedy, unethical, enviro plunderer, stupid, etc.........

Think of everything negative ever said about a republican, and they'll try to work it in.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 12:50:16 PM EDT
[#10]
The West Wing is TV programing at its finest!
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 12:55:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Alan Alda's show on PBS is/whas verry good i remember whaching it back when i whached TV a lot before cable tv
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 1:00:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 1:02:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Never seen it, never will.

NEXT!
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 1:53:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Wrong war....

Quoted:
I used to like MASH when I was younger, then a few years ago I found out it was really just a liberal anti Vietnam rant, especially the movie version

Link Posted: 8/23/2004 2:25:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 2:34:46 AM EDT
[#16]
Alan Alda sucks. Plain and simple. He's as big a liberal whiner as anyone out there.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 3:02:26 AM EDT
[#17]
I tried watching Wet Wing.........ONCE.It seemed little more than a DU attempt to make themselves appear as honorable patriotic and fair minded.What a fag show.  
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 4:23:53 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
It's a pretty good show.  You just have to keep in mind that there is an agenda to it.  Maybe someone will come out with a version of the show that shows the conservativre point of view in a similar fashion.

Hollywood couldn't do it. They literally don't know how to write from a non-leftist perspective. The head of the screen writers' guild has gone on record in saying this.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 4:26:09 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I watch it. do  lot of eye rolling and laughing at it though. I will say one thing, when the Ainsley Hayes character was on (she's the blond on CSI Miami now) they had her give a replublican view without looking like a nut. I really liked when she discredited the equal rights amendment as redundant and not needed

They were able to get away with it because raging left-wing cokehead Aaron Sorkin, the creator and writer of the Left West Wing got booted/left the show.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 4:58:58 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Never seen it, never will.

NEXT!

+1
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 11:48:30 AM EDT
[#21]
the movie and show were placed in Korea, but I once saw an interview with the writer, director and some of the cast of the movie and they were all clear that it was a rip on the Vietnam war

Quoted:
Wrong war....

Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/24/2004 5:09:27 PM EDT
[#22]
regardless of lefty politics the show is very well written and funny

"cartographers for social equality"
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top