Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/23/2004 11:32:54 AM EDT
I got an ass load of Baseball and Basketball cars from the early 90s.  Over 170 different Jordans alone.  Book valuve on all this stuff would prolly get me a DIAS, but how to unload all this crap is beyond me.  How do I get rid of this stuff from way back when other than throwing in the trash or giving awaty on ebay.  Any ideas?
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 11:39:02 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I got an ass load of Baseball and Basketball cars from the early 90s.  Over 170 different Jordans alone.  Book valuve on all this stuff would prolly get me a DIAS, but how to unload all this crap is beyond me.  How do I get rid of this stuff from way back when other than throwing in the trash or giving awaty on ebay.  Any ideas?

Generally speaking, if it ain't a rookie card from
the early 90s, it's worthless. An example
of supply and demand at work. These card
companies pumped out tons of cards in the 90s
and about 99% of them are now commons.

Grab a Beckett and look them up.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 11:40:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Make a list, catalogue them all (prepare to waste a day or weekend doing this).  Post the list on some website and email people that run online card shops, usually they'll be glad to take a look.  You usually wont get their full value selling to dealers though, I forget the name of the magazine that used to be popular as a "blue book" for value, but try finding one.

I have an assload I need to get rid of too, the RDIAS idea sounds nice.

Grab a Beckett and look them up.

Yea thats the book I'm thinking of.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 11:43:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Same here, except I have a ton from the 70's and 80's. I think most are the low value cards and doubles my uncle had at the time (he's the one who gave them to me). One day I'll get around to catalogueing and selling them.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 11:44:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Consider them an expensive life lesson.  

Call it:  "Don't buy dumb shit ever, ever again!"
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 11:52:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Hell, I would even settle for 1/2 of book value.
I also bought a lot of those stupid Starting Lineups, I got like 30 NIB
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 11:54:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Heh..I've got a couple years running of full boxed sets of football cards...a bunch of Topps cards from 86 and 83 as well...

I should probably price them out, maybe they'll help pay off the credit cards
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 12:05:06 PM EDT
[#7]
I wonder how much my Topps NHL hockey cards from 1976 are worth?

GunLvr
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 12:08:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Donate them to The Homeless[tm].
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 1:12:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Do dealers really buy this crap though?
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 1:22:50 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Do dealers really buy this crap though?

Yes, but not at the prices you see in Beckett's.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 1:30:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Use them for targets.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 1:31:03 PM EDT
[#12]
My mother has a drawer dedicated to 80-87 Topps baseball cards

There are thousands in cheeseboxs
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 1:54:11 PM EDT
[#13]
How do I find a dealer that will buy any?  All of them around here will only buy Carmello Anthony and that other dumbass
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 1:56:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Donate them to the Salvation army at the Becketts MSRP price and then take the write0ff.  Legal and about as well as you'll ever do selling them.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 2:07:52 PM EDT
[#15]

Donate them to the Salvation army at the Becketts MSRP price and then take the write0ff. Legal and about as well as you'll ever do selling them.

Good Idea!!
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 2:09:17 PM EDT
[#16]
or ebay em.

whatever you get is still better then nothing.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 2:18:42 PM EDT
[#17]
I was lucky and sold out when the market was still high for all those crap cards they pumped out in the mid-90's.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 2:21:11 PM EDT
[#18]

I think I have 2 complete sets of topps 81. Wonder if they are worth anything?
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 2:33:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Keep in mind that unless your cards are in perfect condition (no bent corners, frayed edges, any other handling imperfection) they are worthless. Might as well throw them away.

If you walk into a shop with them in a shoe box, you will prolly be laughted out of the store.

Just a couple of tips to remember.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 2:37:54 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

You mean like Pogs!?!?
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 2:41:53 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You mean like Pogs!?!?

Link Posted: 8/23/2004 2:42:21 PM EDT
[#22]

Geez I just checked out what they are going for on Ebay. I think I could burn them and heat my house for a couple hours this winter and save more money than I could make selling them...
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 5:39:51 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You mean like Pogs!?!?

I still have some of those.

I should ebay em since there just sitting in a box in the closet. Dont know why im keeping them.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 6:07:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Anyone know what the cards from the Sports Illustrated Volume 1 in mint condition are worth?

CW
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 6:18:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Stick them in the spokes of your kids bike - they will love the motorcycle sound.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 6:23:28 PM EDT
[#26]
They aint worth much so I would just save them and give to your kids or a relatives kid.   I have a bunch of  baseball card sets still in the boxes from the 70's and early 80's.  Since I have two girls I will probably just sit on them till they have kids.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 10:03:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Zippo....
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 12:52:16 AM EDT
[#28]
I can sympathize with you as I have a pretty hefty collection of cards too.  Fortunatley I sold most of the easy to sell stuff, like factory set cases and unopened wax boxes when I was getting ready to buy a house in 1991..... that accounted for about $10K of my downpayment!!   I still have probably close to 100,000 loose cards in thoses 800 count boxes along with a couple cases of wax boxes of 1988 Donruss baseball!!  Even hot rookie cards don't sell for much, as everyone wants high graded professional graded stuff.  Look at a Becketts and you will see the lists for all the earlier stuff  reduced to individual price listings for just a few cards per year.  

I took my kid to the doctor's office a couple years back and in the hallway was about 40 boxes of unopened wax boxes of '88 Donruss baseball cards.  I asked about them and the nurse said someone dropped them off to give to the kids and said to help myself.  I told her I had about the same amount of the exact cards sitting in my closet and she laughed.  So that is a good way to get rid of them too.

All in all, I still have a lot of fond memories of my collecting days.  My brothers and I really had a blast hanging out together cruising all over to buy all that stuff.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 1:27:38 AM EDT
[#29]
Same boat here, I was totally into Basbeball cards when I was about 14. They were all worth alot then, now they are pretty much commons. I have a ton of Wayne Gretzky cards, dont know what they are worth though. Basically its just junk now... I only keep them as a reminder of my early teens and poor investments I made. Remember, sports cards are only worth the paper they are printed on until you can get some sap to buy them off you for what the Beckett says they are worth. Same with NIB Star Wars toys... only 35 year old virgins pay top dollar for that shit.

Anybody wanna buy a C3PO Action figure container thing from the original star wars? I'm probably just gonna give it to goodwill.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 4:21:41 AM EDT
[#30]
it was all fun until my dads mickey mantle rookie card was in the spokes of my bike.

put them next to the pogs, beanie babies, etc
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top