Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/23/2004 10:46:22 AM EDT
I went to UPS today to send out a pistol to another instate resident.  From the ATF FAQs and from the below links it is allowed.  The guy at the counter started asking a bunch of questions about the firearm, and wanted to open it up to check if it was loaded. (he opened it, just touched it and closed it back up.)  He asked me if I had a license to own a weapon or if I was LE.  I told him there wasn't such a thing a license to own in TX. It wasn't any of his business and it shouldn't matter either way if I'm LE so I just told him no.  

I handed him my printout from the UPS website and the ATF website.  He went to the back and called his 1 800 help number.  He came back and told me he couldn't accept my package but he let me talk to security on the phone.  The lady told me I couldn't send it out, asked for the website address that I had printed out.  She read it and read their company policy to me, and said I couldn't ship it out.  She said I had to send it to a licensee, or a manufacturer for repair.  She specifically told me I couldn't just send it to another non-licensed resident.

She wasn't condescending and was actually quite polite.  She told me her name and said I could call her back if I had anymore questions.  What should I do next.  I don't feel like driving a total of 300 miles to meet the other AFRcommer halfway.

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=130&t=214477

www.ups.com/content/us/en/resources/service/terms/firearms.html

www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#b8

Link Posted: 8/23/2004 10:55:29 AM EDT
[#1]
The only rule I know of is it has to be shipped 2 day I think.

I never tell them whats in it, I just put machined parts down.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 10:57:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 11:23:55 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
It has to go to an FFL dealer, it doesn't matter if you are, so long as the recipient is, so that the 4473 gets filled out.

They will also make you use the most expensive service (Overnight) since it is a hangun.

She said that any firearm could only go to a licensee or the manufacturer, according to company policy.  If it's in state, to another resident, it shouldn't be a problem.

ETA***Also, it doesn't specify that it has to go to a licensee in their policy from the website in my post above.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 12:10:17 PM EDT
[#4]
FWIU, HANDGUNS have to go FFL to FFL, overnight. I went through this when I sold a handgun to my brother in MO.

LONG GUNS can go person to person, IN STATE.

A long gun shipped to someone OUT OF STATE can go personal to FFL in the other state, I've had to do this also.

BUT, be safe and check.

BTW, did I mention that I stayed in a Holiday Inn last night?
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 12:16:26 PM EDT
[#5]
handguns don't have to come from an FFL!

But hey, if they don't know their own policies, how are WE supposed to?
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 12:32:11 PM EDT
[#6]

FWIU, HANDGUNS have to go FFL to FFL, overnight. I went through this when I sold a handgun to my brother in MO.

No they don’t.

A handgun can be shipped from a nonlicensee (a non-FFL) to an out of state FFL. This is perfectly legal and UPS has done it for me on many occasions.

It is also perfectly legal to ship a firearm from a nonlicensee to a in state nonlicensee. UPS will not do this thought.

From the ATF FAQ below.

(B8) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U. S. Postal Service?

A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own state or to a licensee in any state. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. A nonlicensee may not transfer any firearm to a nonlicensed resident of another state. The Postal Service recommends that longguns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms.

(B9) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by carrier?

A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by carrier to a resident of his or her own state or to a licensee in any state. A common or contract carrier must be
used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract
carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm. [18 U. S. C. 922( a)( 2)( A) and 922( e), 27 CFR 178.31]

(B10) May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activite

Yes. A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the state where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the firearm.

Link Posted: 8/23/2004 12:34:15 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
It has to go to an FFL dealer, it doesn't matter if you are, so long as the recipient is, so that the 4473 gets filled out.

They will also make you use the most expensive service (Overnight) since it is a hangun.

check the quote again, he said instate.  It may be against UPS policy to ship handguns to non-licensees in the same state, but it isn't illegal.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 12:47:55 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

No they don’t.

A handgun can be shipped from a nonlicensee (a non-FFL) to an out of state FFL. This is perfectly legal and UPS has done it for me on many occasions.

It is also perfectly legal to ship a firearm from a nonlicensee to a in state nonlicensee. UPS will not do this thought.

From the ATF FAQ below.

(B8) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U. S. Postal Service?

A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own state or to a licensee in any state. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. A nonlicensee may not transfer any firearm to a nonlicensed resident of another state. The Postal Service recommends that longguns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms.

(B9) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by carrier?

A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by carrier to a resident of his or her own state or to a licensee in any state. A common or contract carrier must be
used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract
carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm. [18 U. S. C. 922( a)( 2)( A) and 922( e), 27 CFR 178.31]

(B10) May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activite

Yes. A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the state where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the firearm.

Yeah, it's to another TX resident. I might end up driving it up to him this weekend if I can't figure something out.  (What's to figure out if they won't take it, right?)  I just hoped that one of you might have a trump card for me.  

FEDEX gave me more or less the same response when I took it to them this morning.  If they didn't ask me what was inside, I wouldn't tell them, but they keep asking.  And besides the ATF FAQ say I HAVE to tell them.(I'm still unsure if they're right, I'd call them but they might shoot my dog).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top