Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/23/2004 10:26:06 AM EDT
http://www.usatoday.com/money/smallbusiness/columnist/strauss/2004-08-23-overtime_x.htm

Rule number 7 may or may not impact me.

Rule 7: Employees whose main duties are computer-related and involve the implementation, analysis, development, or application of computer systems or designs are also not eligible for overtime.

I am a Computer Tech training to be the Network manager. I make around 30k per year. Will this rule affect my overtime? I make aroundIf I am ineligible for overtime, do I HAVE to work more than 40 hours per week?

I just want some opinions from you guys about this.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 10:28:22 AM EDT
[#1]

Dupe

+1
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 10:41:55 AM EDT
[#2]
If you are not eligible for overtime, you must receive compensatory time off (comp time) at 1.5 times the rate of hours worked beyond 40 a week. Period. "Exempt" employees are only exempt from being paid overtime in cash. The manipulation and studied ignorance of the Fair Labor Standards Act by management is one of the biggest scams going.

I have seen one guy making $250 a week who believed he was not eligible for overtime because his employer put him on salary, and designated him as "manager" - of the firebox at a barbecue restaurant. He worked an average of 50+ hours per week, but his employer assured him he wasn't entitled to OT because he was "management," and because if he ever worked less than 40 hrs in a week he'd still get his $250.

I have seen people who believed that they were lawfully on salary at $X per week, no additional pay for time over 40 hrs, but docked at a specified hourly rate for time under 40 hrs in a week.

You are entitled to either time-and-a-half for OT, or comp time; you must be paid your regular salary while using comp time. The way employers abuse this crap chaps my ass.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 10:47:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 10:49:22 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Government should have nothing to say about how much a company can or can not pay anyone. Period.

I pay people what their worth, I have some that do deserve less than minimum wage though
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 10:55:19 AM EDT
[#5]
I think it applies to me more than you.

I am a consultant for a computer company. When my company sells equiptment or software to another company, I go in to plan and document the installation and configuration, then I install and configure the equiptment and/or software. I routinely work more than 40 hours per week, and I frequently have to work odd hours. My current customer like me to make all of my configuration changes between 4 a.m. and 10 a.m. on Sundays.

I am a salaried employee making around $90,000 per year, plus quarterly bonuses. I don't get overtime.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 11:03:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top