Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/23/2004 6:40:04 AM EDT
I am just wondering what the concensus is here at ARFCOM.
Let me say outright that I believe that it IS a good Olympic sport (and the U.S. Shooting Team is the only Olympic group to whom I actually send a little money).
BUT!  Is shooting really a form of ATHLETIC competition?  I know, I know, a target shooter must control his breathing, heart rate, and above all, his nerves, but so must a billiard champion.  Is this really enough?  What about throwing darts?  Shouldn't that be an Olympic sport, too?
Soley on the grounds of tradition, competitive target shooting should probably be included as it's one of the oldest international competitions in the "modern era" dating back to at least the late nineteen hundreds.  But is it ATHLETIC competition?
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 6:46:13 AM EDT
[#1]
As long as baseball is considered a sport so should shooting.  Although I prefer the word "event".

And there is physical demands put on a shooter.  Arm and back conditioning does factor into it.

SGtar15
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 6:49:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 6:50:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 6:59:15 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
beach volleyball

nuff said

The finest Olympic sport bar none!…

ANdy
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 7:01:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Way back when in history, the Olympics were games to celebrate military victory.  The original games were things you did in combat, i.e. javlin, wrestling, running, boxing, fencing, horseback riding.  The modern Olympics were originally supposed to reflect that spirit.  Shooting well is a skill and an ability few people have.  I think it is ahead of softball, horseshoes, dancing with ribbon or swimming in pairs or any number of stupid events that are now considered sports.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 7:02:21 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
beach volleyball

nuff said

img.photobucket.com/albums/v133/macandy/mcpeak1817.jpg

The finest Olympic sport bar none!…

ANdy

Indeed!  
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 7:05:41 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
BUT!  Is shooting really a form of ATHLETIC competition?  I know, I know, a target shooter must control his breathing, heart rate, and above all, his nerves, but so must a billiard champion.  Is this really enough

Considering they allow figure skating as an olympic sport (a 'sport' that dends on judges opinions and prejeduces instead of a hard score) why not?

Also consider the Olympics were orginally based on events related to military service shouldn't shooting events included in the modern era?
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 7:06:10 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Way back when in history, the Olympics were games to celebrate military victory.  The original games were things you did in combat, i.e. javlin, wrestling, running, boxing, fencing, horseback riding.  The modern Olympics were originally supposed to reflect that spirit.  Shooting well is a skill and an ability few people have.  I think it is ahead of softball, horseshoes, dancing with ribbon or swimming in pairs or any number of stupid events that are now considered sports.

a big +1, basically what I was going to post. Modern Olympics with useless games like ping-pong and *shudder* I've heard rumors that Bridge players want to "play" in the Olympics... This is a traveshamockery of what the Olympics were supposed to represent.

Only addition: Coolio, think about the Biathlon as well. Skiing and shooting?
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 7:16:02 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Quoted:
Also consider the Olympics were orginally based on events related to military service shouldn't shooting events included in the modern era?

I can just see it now, "and in final the of the Mens .50 BMG we have the United States"……

ANdy
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 7:19:01 AM EDT
[#10]
The Biathlon is actually a military-based event, or has military strategies based on it.

Finnish snow troopers, in the Russo-Finnish war, would come gliding out of the forest at top speed, gun down a Russian unit, and glide away.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 7:21:36 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Good thought!
I hadn't considered that reasoning.
Thanks everybody!  Several good comments.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 7:25:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 7:30:34 AM EDT
[#13]
YES it is, because there is a freaking twenty-something Kilometer walk!!  It's a damn WALK!  So if walking is an event, then shooting is also
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 8:04:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Yes it is,
  having competed priviously in standard, free, and air pistol I'd say yes, there is a lot involved.   Granted you're not running or anything but the basic competition among individuals or teams is there same as it is with any other sport.  BTW I think ballroom dancing is in there too (for those of you looking to point out odd 'sports')

*and there's my 100th post

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top