Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/22/2004 10:09:10 PM EDT
How many of you guys keep your Gun Safes in the house or Garage??

I just got a Ft Knox  "Yeager" 7241  and this damn thing is too f'in big to go in my house so I think I am going to have to keep it in the garage.   any ideas?
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 10:12:20 PM EDT
[#1]
I dont htink it will be as secure in the garage as in the house.  Buts its better then not having one.  I have one that took 4 guys to take to the basement.  What a pain that was.   I would definitely bolt it down into the cement.  The problem with the garage even if its a big safe isthat they can take it with them.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 10:13:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 10:17:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Mine has been in my garage for 10 years with no problems.  It is very dry in CA and I don't know if you would have moisture problems or not.  I prefer to screw my safe to the studs in the wall with 3" wood screws and it is very secure.  It is also behind a pair of doors in a built in cabinet so it is out of sight.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 10:20:19 PM EDT
[#4]
I never had a safe that big and from the weight of yours i don't think anyone would steal it without making noise.If it is in a garage think about  making it look like something other then a safe ,so when you open the big door snoops can't tell it is out there.

better safe then sorry
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 10:22:09 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Mine has been in my garage for 10 years with no problems.  It is very dry in CA and I don't know if you would have moisture problems or not.  I prefer to screw my safe to the studs in the wall with 3" wood screws and it is very secure.  It is also behind a pair of doors in a built in cabinet so it is out of sight.

The moisture thing bothers me, it can get really cold here in Minnesota, and the garage isnt always heated.  it just gets to spendy to heat it all winter, so I usally heat it when I work out there or when it drops below zero

I was thinking of anchoring some 4x4's to the concrete floor, and then bolt the safe to the 4x4 platform.    
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 10:30:30 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a Ft. Knox 6637 and I keep it in the house.    I wouldn't want to put it in the garage due to the high heat and extreme humidity.  There are other factors invloved, such as:   Gasoline vapors,  leaves and dirt,  lawn equipment, garages get flooded quicker,  other people will be able to see it (if you live close to others) what happens when you wife runs into it.... it might total you car!!!

Besides, do you really want to go out to the hot/freezing garage everytime you want to grab a weapon to take your dinner pix with?  

A gun safe is forever take care of it!  Especially since you got the Yeager!!!!
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 10:45:16 PM EDT
[#7]
What does your safe weigh?  

Mine is a Browning and it is about 800-900# empty and four of us got it down the stairs to my basement and that was with the door off and all the extra weight removed.  Loaded with guns, ammo, and a couple hundred extra pounds of lead shot nobody is going to be taking it up the same stairs we brought it down without the stairs giving way!

My problem is that I need a second safe as mine isn't big enough but I figure a second safe of the same size will just confuse a would be thief even better not that the Alarm and the dog wouldn't do that job as well

I did a search... www.ftknox.com/safes/Yeager.asp

At nearly 2000-pounds that will be a bugger to get into a basement!  Hell, my Bridgeport Mill is in the Garrage as it weights about the same!
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 10:49:21 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
What does your safe weigh?  

Mine is a Browning and it is about 800-900# empty and four of us got it down the stairs to my basement and that was with the door off and all the extra weight removed.  Loaded with guns, ammo, and a couple hundred extra pounds of lead shot nobody is going to be taking it up the same stairs we brought it down without the stairs giving way!

My problem is that I need a second safe as mine isn't big enough but I figure a second safe of the same size will just confuse a would be thief even better not that the Alarm and the dog wouldn't do that job as well

I did a search... www.ftknox.com/safes/Yeager.asp

At nearly 2000-pounds that will be a bugger to get into a basement!  Hell, my Bridgeport Mill is in the Garrage as it weights about the same!

Yep it weighs almost 1 ton...............motherfucker is huge and I only have set up for 26 guns  the rep was saying it can be set up for 52 or more
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 10:49:50 PM EDT
[#9]
I gave up on a gun safe and made a room on the 3rd floor a gun room.

I keep the ammo as of today in the barn locked in a construction job box. Ii weighs 348 lbs empty and now it has 8k rds  of 7.62 and about 6500 rds of 5.56 plus 5k of .22 and misc. other calibers. No one is going to steal that.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 12:51:02 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

This is a good idea if you have to use the garage.  Build a fake cabinet around it to make it look like any other storage cabinet you'd see in a garage, no use advertising.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 6:24:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Put a couple of Goldenrods inside it and a humidistat to watch the humidity level.  They will not like humidity above about 60 percent.  At least in Minnesota you won't have as many problems with people breaking into the garage and attaching a chain to the safe.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 6:53:55 AM EDT
[#12]
I've had a large Winchester safe in a garage (in NJ) for seven (7) years. I used an 18" golden rod and had zero problems. Bolting it to the floor is a good idea.

Mike
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top