Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/22/2004 8:17:40 PM EDT
Can anyone tell me if 12490 Griffing Blvd. in North Miami still exists? I can't find it using online map searches.
 I'm going throughold family pictures, and that's where my grandma lived until I was five. I/we took a train down there, and I remember watching boats go up the Biscayne right behind the house. There's a bridge right next to the house, but I don't know the name of that road.
 Nothing urgent here, just a little late-night personal curiosity.  Thanks.

Link Posted: 8/22/2004 8:45:40 PM EDT
[#2]
I grew up in that part of town until 1980’s and used to fish for bass and snook in that canal.  The road next (right side) to the house is the 125th street and the front street is the Griffing Blvd.  Six blocks up north at 131 street is a pedestrian bridge and 4 blocks south at 121 street was another bridge.  I used to fish that canal almost everyday after school and knew it like the back of my hand.

I guess you used to come down in the 60’s or earlier because a dam was built on the Biscayne canal just 2 miles down at Miami Shore / Biscayne Park border in 1969 and prevented boats from coming up from the Biscayne Bay.

Unfortunately that house was taken down in 1978 or 79 and a new/bigger house was built on the lot.  The house across the street on the right side is gone too and a new house is on it.  If you go back now I’m sure you’ll still remember the neighborhood as very little has changed in past 40 years.  .  

I lived in North Miami until 1989 and now work only about 3 miles from there and live 20 miles away.

Do you remember anything else about the neighborhood like the Lums resturant just 2 blocks away?

Link Posted: 8/23/2004 6:24:54 AM EDT
[#3]
I'll be in that area this week so I'll see about taking a pic of that house/lot.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 12:31:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Treetop,
 Thanks for that link. I wonder why it wouldn't come up for me. It showed the general area, but said the address couldn't be found.

Yobo,
 Thank you for all the information, and I would like to see a picture of the house that is there now. I don't remember anything else about the neighborhood, other than watching an ambulance go across that bridge one time. I remember trying to climb those two palms in the front yard, and also one day I found this little mound of dirt with "neat" looking red ants coming out. I decided to jamb my finger into their little dirt pile to see what it felt like, and haven't done that again since.    Mostly I just remember watching the boats go by, and since I was 5 at the time that puts it in 1963.

My other memories from there are swimming in the ocean at Miami Beach, going to the Miami Seaquarium, (where I got a wax white porpoise out of a machine), and my dad pulling over because it started raining so hard he couldn't see.  I guess we went to restaurants while down there, but I can't remember it.
Thanks again.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top