Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/22/2004 6:28:13 PM EDT
So, I got my main computer reloaded and running no problem.  However, I have a new challenge.  I had an old Pentium 200 laying around with Windows XP Pro loaded on it.  It ran fine.  I was going through my pieces parts and found the old motherboard and processor from my last build....I don't remeber the motherboard manufacturer, but it's an old emachines board, with a Celeron 600 processor and 100mhz bus (better than the 66 the P200 has).  The only drawback is that I only have 96 megs of RAM chips for the Celeron, the P200 had a pair of 256 meg chips in it.  So I installed the emachines board w/Celeron processor in the P200 case, installed my cards (network card and sound card), and hooked everything up.  It boots up the BIOS just fine, but when Windows starts to load, the machine just restarts every time.  I checked the XP system requirements: 233mhz processor and 64M of ram minimum.  Anyone have any ideas?  I am thinking that I need to wipe out the hard drive and reinstall XP, but I don't see the point if I will have the same problem.

Worst case, I can just put Win98SE on it.  That is what I ran on it before and it was very stable.  I plan on using this specifically for mixing 16 tracks of analog audio into .wav files.  I used it for that before too.
Thanks in advance guys.  
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 6:39:47 PM EDT
[#1]
I could be wrong but I was told that xp wont run without reinstalation if a significant part of the computer hardware is changed. It's part of the copy protection BS. You might want to throw the original XP disc in and run through a re-install. You will probably have to re-register it though. They don't want you to be able to install it  on multiple machine  without paying for it.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 6:41:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Cool!!! Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 6:50:05 PM EDT
[#3]
SYMPTOMS
After you move the Microsoft Windows XP system (boot) disk to a backup computer, you may receive the following Stop error when you try to start the Windows XP-based backup computer:

STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF741B84C,0xC0000034,0x00000000,0x00000000)
INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE
CAUSE
This error may occur if the registry entries and the drivers for the mass storage controller hardware in the backup computer are not installed in Windows XP.

For integrated device electronics (IDE) controllers, there are several different chip sets available, such as Intel, VIA, and Promise. Each chip set has a different Plug-n-Play identifier (PnP-ID).

The PnP-ID information of mass storage controllers for the backup computer must be in the registry before startup so that Windows XP can initialize the correct drivers.

the full article can be found here Microsoft KB article 314082 if it were me the fastest way would be to format the drive and try xp install due to you will more than likely need to format to install windows 98 since the xp windir is windows also just my .02
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 10:20:06 PM EDT
[#4]
I wiped it and reinstalled Windows XP so it will load the correct drivers.  Runs like a champ.  Thanks!!!!!!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top