Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/22/2004 3:26:37 PM EDT
Been a while since I've been around.  Been doing pretty good with the ladies since my divorce, so been kinda busy!!

Anyway, hooked up with an old high school babe, however, she lives in Philadelphia and I'm here in Lansing, Michigan.  I'll be going out to see her Sept 3-6 and was curious on how to get the cheapest airfare.  I can jump seat for free with Northwest, but can't take the chance of getting bumped since I have to work on the 7th.

Any help out there for the putty whipped???

vmax84

Also, this makes number 3 that I'm juggling.......can a 39 year old guy keep this up long??  Thanks again.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 3:32:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Try Air Tran.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 3:35:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Fly freight.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 3:35:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Do NOT fly AirTran. Every flight we were on with them has been delayed. One for a leaky coffee maker. They made me miss my reservation at Emeril's in New Orleans, the fuckers!

JetBlue, Independence Air, Priceline.com, buy your own plane (only about $100,000 for a Cessna, less for a used one, I think... pays for itself in... oh, say, ninety years or so, depending how often you fly).
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 3:40:40 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Do NOT fly AirTran. Every flight we were on with them has been delayed. One for a leaky coffee maker. They made me miss my reservation at Emeril's in New Orleans, the fuckers!

JetBlue, Independence Air, Priceline.com, buy your own plane (only about $100,000 for a Cessna, less for a used one, I think... pays for itself in... oh, say, ninety years or so, depending how often you fly).

I had good luck with Air Tran.  I've also had good luck with Expedia and Travelocity.  
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 3:41:24 PM EDT
[#5]
I fly for a company out of Lansing Michigan carrying the next day UPS freight.  I would love to point the nose of the plane towards the east, but, I'm afraid my boss would have a problem with that.  Damn it.

I'll probably end up calling my local travel agency tomorrow and see what they can do for me.  

Lot harder trying to catch a ride with someone (at a reasonable price) than it is to fly the damn thing yourself.  

vmax84
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 3:43:33 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I had good luck with Air Tran.  I've also had good luck with Expedia and Travelocity.  

I've flown on AirTran probably more than a dozen times.  I've never had a bad experience with them yet.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 3:44:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Travelaxe is the best program I have found so far....Test it out!

Travelaxe Link

MT
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 3:47:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 3:48:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Look until you find the cheapest one that you... can... ummm.. find.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 3:49:37 PM EDT
[#10]
I would think if you went through  a travel agency that you would be paying the travel agent as well.  Try some of the ones mentioned above before making that call.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 7:02:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Keep in mind other airports in the region which are fairly close to Philly--Newark and Baltimore are two I can think of.  Both have quick train connections to Philly.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 7:06:18 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
How do I get the cheapest airline ticket??  .

Go to the airport early, stand by the entrance and ask passing people where they are flying.  

When sombody walks by that has the same destination that you want to go to, beat them up and steal their ticket.

You wanted cheap, it don't get any cheaper then that....

Chris
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 7:07:16 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've flown on AirTran probably more than a dozen times.  I've never had a bad experience with them yet.

All the people that died on ValuJet flight 592 DID have what you might describe as a "bad experience"      
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 7:09:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Bang a stewardess, she'll let you ride for free.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 7:27:30 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

All the people that died on ValuJet flight 592 DID have what you might describe as a "bad experience"      

Name an airline that hasn't had a tragic accident. You pays your money and you takes your chances.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 7:35:21 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Name an airline that hasn't had a tragic accident. You pays your money and you takes your chances.

Lots of airlines have had tragic ACCIDENTS - TWA 800 is an excellent example.  Accidents are the result of things outside your control, like metal fatigue, bad wiring, freak events, etc.

ValuJet's crash was much more a result of consistent patterns of poor maintenance and poor decisions on the part of their leadership - and I've seen several articles about "AirTran" (after ValuJet changed their name to avoid theor own bad reputation) that indicate that they STILL have terrible maintenance.  Apparently, in 2000 AirTran has THREE separate fires on three different planes.  This is AFTER a fire onboard brought down ValuJet 592 - killing all passengers aboard.  Considering they own less than a hundred planes, having fires on three of them in one year seems to be a something other than "accidents"

Link Posted: 8/22/2004 7:41:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Use Travelocity or one of the other "cheapest airfare" sites, find the best route and airline, then go online with that carrier and check the price dealing with them directly.  I've found that to be about 5% cheaper than any of the travel service prices.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 7:42:16 PM EDT
[#18]
If you can Jumpseat for free on northwest, why can't you buy an OAL ID 90, or a NWA pass?

I think that most of the airlines have fares just as cheap on their website, as on Travelocity and the like.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 7:42:37 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Lots of airlines have had tragic ACCIDENTS - TWA 800 is an excellent example.  Accidents are the result of things outside your control, like metal fatigue, bad wiring, freak events, etc.

ValuJet's crash was much more a result of consistent patterns of poor maintenance and poor decisions on the part of their leadership - and I've seen several articles about "AirTran" (after ValuJet changed their name to avoid theor own bad reputation) that indicate that they STILL have terrible maintenance.  Apparently, in 2000 AirTran has THREE separate fires on three different planes.  This is AFTER a fire onboard brought down ValuJet 592 - killing all passengers aboard.  Considering they own less than a hundred planes, having fires on three of them in one year seems to be a something other than "accidents"

IIRC valujets crash was due to hazmat cargo . Nothing to do with maintanance.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 7:45:05 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

IIRC valujets crash was due to hazmat cargo . Nothing to do with maintanance.

Stop bringin' facts to the discussion when I'm on a roll - yeah Sabretech was really to blame.  

... but all their fires in 2000 had nothing to do wuth Sabretech

Link Posted: 8/23/2004 3:35:59 AM EDT
[#21]
And Air Tran's record since 2000? How many injuries, and of what type, were caused by those fires? And for balance, how about the # of fires for all the other airlines? And which airline was it that had a crash right after 9/11? I'll fly just about any airline, I just flew Gulf Air last month, there are thousands of things that can go wrong with any aircraft. I'll bet Air Tran's safety record isn't that much different than the other airlines.
I flew them several times in 2001 and 2002. I had no problems other than the layovers at Atlanta. I don't like Atlanta's airport. Although, I found the smoker's under glass to be quite amusing.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 6:01:14 AM EDT
[#22]

I'd say take Independence Air to PHL, but that's about the only place on the East coast we do not serve.  We have started service out of LAN, however.

It's one of the more inexpensive airlines to fly on these days, with pretty good seats and service on the flights, too!

www.flyi.com
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top