Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 8/22/2004 1:37:05 PM EDT
Starting Monday Bush's new overtime rules take effect. Check out www.saveovertime.org to see if your effected.  Also check out the Flash animation on this page it will make things clear.
http://www.saveovertimepay.org/ot.htm?file=realimpact/afl-cio/7tvads/rulesstr.rm

J Kerry wants our guns and Bush wants too keep us poor and big buisness rich. What to do?
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 1:39:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Part of my practice is employment law.   I've read the changes, they're not serious and I'm thinking that site may not be completely accurate (i.e., it may be based on earlier or different versions as to what actually was put into place.  I'll try to get some more info).

Link Posted: 8/22/2004 1:41:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Bush's proposed overtime regulations wont effect me at all. My pay is a contract issue between me and my employer.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 1:41:34 PM EDT
[#3]
The DOL "overtime changes" took place in April... Has your salary changed?

A clue from our legal department. You can thank me later.

On April 20, 2004, the United States Labor Department issued its final regulations
revising the long-standing rules governing the eligibility of certain “white-collar” employees for overtime pay. The final regulations differ somewhat from the proposed regulations published in March 2003 and will take effect on August 21, 2004. The revisions contain significant changes tothe old white-collar exemption rules and employers are well-advised to revise their overtime pay policies to bring them into compliance with the new rules.

II. Substantive Changes
The new regulations are found at 29 CRF Part 541 and set forth new rules concerning the overtime exemption for certain “white-collar employees," classified as either "executive," "administrative," and "professional.” The new rules affect certain "computer professionals" as well. The key points to take from the new regulations can be summarized as follows:

A. Salary Threshold Raised: The new regulations raise the qualifying salary
threshold from $155 per week ($8,060 annual) to $455 per week ($23,660 annual). Thus, anyone who does not earn at least $23,660 per year is entitled to overtime regardless of their job duties.

Note that payment must be made on a salary basis in addition to exceeding the minimum salary level. Employees who meet the threshold level cannot be exempt if they are paid on an hourly basis.1

B. Duties Test Streamlined: The old regulations set forth job duties tests in short
and long form to help ascertain whether an employee could be exempt from overtime pay requirements. The new regulations eliminate the old long and short job duties tests and replace them with standardized definitions for white-collar employees that are significantly easier to understand and apply.

• Executives: Employees may be eligible for the executive exemption if they: (1) manage the enterprise or a customarily recognized department or subdivision, (2) customarily and regularly direct the work of two or more employees, and (3) can hire and fire or their recommendations for hiring, firing, promotion, or advancement carry “particular weight.”

Unlike the old regulations, performance of non-exempt work by an executive does not eliminate the exemption if the employee decides when to perform the nonexempt work and maintains responsibility for management of the business while doing so.

1 However, certain qualifying computer professionals CAN be paid hourly if the wage rate is at least $27.63/hour.

• Administrative: The administrative exemption may apply to those who (1) perform office or non-manual work directly related to the management or general business operations of the employer or its customers, and (2) whose primary duties include the exercise of independent judgment with respect to matters of significance.

• Learned Professionals: The professional employees exemption defines the standard duties as office or non-manual work requiring knowledge of an advanced type in a field of science or learning (work which is predominantly intellectual and consistently requires the exercise of discretion and judgment). Moreover, the advanced knowledge must be customarily acquired by a prolonged course of specialized intellectual instruction.

C. Highly Compensated Employees Exemption: A new class of “highly
compensated employees (at least $100,000 per year) are exempt from overtime requirements if they are paid on a salary basis, and if they perform office or non-manual work AND customarily and regularly perform at least one of the defined standard duties of an exempt executive, administrative, or professional employee.

D. Non-Exempt “Blue-Collar” Employees: The new rules specifically identify
certain categories of "blue-collar" employees that cannot be exempt, including police officers, fire fighters, paramedics, and emergency medical workers.

E. Pay Deductions: Under the new rules, employers may now deduct pay from
exempt employees in increments of one or more full days for violations of company policies. This contrasts with the old rules that allowed only docking at least one week’s pay only for “major safety violations.” Employers should review and revise their policies to make clear what rules infractions will result in penalties.

F. Preemption: Note that the new regulations do NOT preempt more stringent
state laws.

G. “Window of Correction” and “Safe Harbor” Provisions: One of the most
important changes to the regulations concerns the new "window of correction." If an employer makes an isolated or inadvertent improper deduction from an exempt employee’s salary, it may avoid any penalties if it reimburses the employee. Likewise, the new "safe harbor" provision protects employers from losing exemptions for entire categories of employees if the employer distributes a policy that prohibits improper pay deductions, provides a reporting mechanism for
employees, makes a good faith effort to comply with the policy, and reimburses employees for improper deductions.

III. Importance for Health Care Employees
Under the new regulations, nurses registered by the appropriate state board or agency generally meet the duties test for professional employees and can be exempt if paid a salary of at least $455 per week (but do not qualify if paid hourly, even if the weekly hourly wage exceeds $455). Likewise, certain registered or certified technicians, dental hygienists, and certified physicians' assistants may also qualify for the professional exemption. However, LPNs do NOT meet the duties test and are entitled to overtime pay.

IV. Conclusion
Much has already been written about whether the new regulations will increase or
decrease the number of potentially exempt employees in the work force. Regardless, employers should undertake a review of their existing policies and exempt classifications in light of the new rules. If faced with litigation or an investigation by the Labor Department, employers will need to clearly articulate what steps they have taken to bring their policies and procedures into
compliance with the new regulations.

I guess you can vote for W after all.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 1:41:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 1:42:07 PM EDT
[#5]
You need to stop getting your information from AFL-CIO cartoons, engage your brain, and get some actual facts.

These new overtime rule will allow MILLIONS of people who cannot now collect overtime to collect it.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 1:43:32 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't get overtime either.  If I did, my company would go under.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 1:44:35 PM EDT
[#7]
The overtime changes do not affect me.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 1:46:27 PM EDT
[#8]
I know where I used to work, the suckups all worked Saturdays and Sundays and sat on the rears. Monday would come and I would find myself playing catch-up for all of these lazy pigs.

Now, they are getting hammered, and they don't want to come in for "straight time"...to bad, suck it losers.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 1:46:36 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
The overtime changes do not affect me.

And that right there, is why most don't give a damn.

isn't it?

Chris
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 1:46:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Some of the top people in my business are salaried and work 50-60 hours a week. It is much simpler for everybody to figure their workload into their salary in the first place. The VP has been with us for 15 years, I think thats an indication that hes happy with his pay.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 1:46:42 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Bush's overtime changes scew us.

Are YOU affected? Do you REALLY know what you are talking about?
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 1:49:06 PM EDT
[#12]
It should also be stated that the Government should have no role in deciding what the proper compensation for services rendered is.  It should be left up to the company and the employee.  
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 1:49:51 PM EDT
[#13]
4 More Years!

www.georgewbush.com
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 1:51:01 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Starting Monday Bush's new overtime rules take effect. Check out www.saveovertime.org to see if your effected.  Also check out the Flash animation on this page it will make things clear.
http://www.saveovertimepay.org/ot.htm?file=realimpact/afl-cio/7tvads/rulesstr.rm

J Kerry wants our guns and Bush wants too keep us poor and big business rich. What to do?

Vote your conscience.

Link Posted: 8/22/2004 1:52:25 PM EDT
[#15]
wasn't meant to me I see now.

sorry

Chris
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 1:54:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Three things of note for those that can't or won't read...

1) If you are paid hourly... this doesn't change your wages.
2) The "white collar" dollar ammount actually went up
3) This law does not supercede your states laws.

DOL says that less than 5,000 U.S workers will see a salary decrease while a couple of million people will actually see their wages go up.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 1:55:03 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Part of my practice is employment law.   I've read the changes, they're not serious and I'm thinking that site may not be completely accurate (i.e., it may be based on earlier or different versions as to what actually was put into place.  I'll try to get some more info).

You are either misrepresenting yourself or are goofy

as federal labor laws go,  so do state , county, and muni governments sooner or latter. Get a clue
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 2:02:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Well if I take a promotion I could be.  I have been approached about taking a sargeant postion at my department.  Police sergeants are not exempt.  The law protects emergency workers like police but not their supervisors. Its estimated that over 6 million people are going to be effected by this law. Also we are protected by a contract and a Union however these contracts are negotiated every 3 years.

Also Submoa did you read what you posted. This is an exerpt from your own post. " The final regulations differ somewhat from the proposed regulations published in March 2003 and will take effect on August 21, 2004." Notice the date its not April?

Also you posted the law read it. It identified people who will be screwed. (classified as either "executive," "administrative," and "professional.”) Anyone who is not at the very bottom can be classified into one of the three catagories above.

For another source check this out.

http://money.cnn.com?2004/08/05/news/economy/overtime/index.htm?cnn-yes

Yes I do know what I am talking about. Do you?
Pat
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 2:07:12 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
It should also be stated that the Government should have no role in deciding what the proper compensation for services rendered is.  It should be left up to the company and the employee.  

Oh yea that works great. Let the child labor and the sweat shops of the industrial revolution rise again.

Pat
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 2:11:39 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Well if I take a promotion I could be.  I have been approached about taking a sargeant postion at my department.  Police sergeants are not exempt.  The law protects emergency workers like police but not their supervisors. Its estimated that over 6 million people are going to be effected by this law. Also we are protected by a contract and a Union however these contracts are negotiated every 3 years.

Also Submoa did you read what you posted. This is an exerpt from your own post. " The final regulations differ somewhat from the proposed regulations published in March 2003 and will take effect on August 21, 2004." Notice the date its not April?

Also you posted the law read it. It identified people who will be screwed. (classified as either "executive," "administrative," and "professional.”) Anyone who is not at the very bottom can be classified into one of the three catagories above.

Pat

Unless you work for a union: (preface)

Your HR dpt. will implement all rulings as soon as the final version is out. Thus the april comment. That was a cut and paste from our legal guys... Instructions for future hires.

If you would rather keep your overtime and don't want a supervisory position... don't take it.

Seems simple enough. I fail to see how you would be getting screwed.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 2:14:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Paying people by the hour is foolish.  People should be paid based strictly on their productivity.  The more productive you are, the more you make.  If you aren't productive, you go hungry.  Hourly employees quickly learn that the goal of an hour at the job is not to see how much they can do, but rather, how little they have to do to keep getting paid.

Minimum wage needs to be abolished.  Overtime needs to be abolished.  Be more productive, and be more prosperous.

I can't wait to see the hate that comes my direction on this.  The only ones who will attack me are the ones who know they would have a terrible awakening if their pay was based on production, rather than just attendance.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 2:14:28 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh yea that works great. Let the child labor and the sweat shops of the industrial revolution rise again.

Pat

Really do not sweat it Kerry is going to win, because of this stuff.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 2:17:01 PM EDT
[#23]
We will have more people on the clock than before. Now they can get OT before they couldn't
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 2:17:50 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Paying people by the hour is foolish.  People should be paid based strictly on their productivity.  The more productive you are, the more you make.  If you aren't productive, you go hungry.  Hourly employees quickly learn that the goal of an hour at the job is not to see how much they can do, but rather, how little they have to do to keep getting paid.

Minimum wage needs to be abolished.  Overtime needs to be abolished.  Be more productive, and be more prosperous.

I can't wait to see the hate that comes my direction on this.  The only ones who will attack me are the ones who know they would have a terrible awakening if their pay was based on production, rather than just attendance.

Oh yea that will work across the board. Pay the post man who delivers the most mail?
Pay the cops who arrest the most criminals? (lets make up some charges to get paid more)
Pay the firefighter who puts out the most fires? (lets start some fires to get paid more)

Yea thats a well thought out responce.
Pat
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 2:19:11 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

+1

We need to quit catering to the lowest common denominator.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 2:20:01 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 2:21:49 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Pat

Your HR dpt. will implement all rulings as soon as the final version is out. Thus the april comment. That was a cut and paste from our legal guys... Instructions for future hires.

If you would rather keep your overtime and don't want a supervisory position... don't take it.

Well simple enough it either stops my upward mobility or I lose money. Many union contracts simply state overtime pay shall be consistent with FLSA overtime restrictions. More people are getting screwed than relize it. Bush is hurting his own support base.
Pat
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 2:23:40 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Pat

Well simple enough it either stops my upward mobility or I lose money. Many union contracts simply state overtime pay shall be consistent with FLSA overtime restrictions. More people are getting screwed than relize it. Bush is hurting his own support base.
Pat

He has been for a long time now. Even die hard right wing whacos here have said so.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 2:27:17 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Oh yea that will work across the board. Pay the post man who delivers the most mail?
Pay the cops who arrest the most criminals? (lets make up some charges to get paid more)
Pay the firefighter who puts out the most fires? (lets start some fires to get paid more)

What a completely myopic, strawman argument.
There are a hell of alot more performance metrics
to those jobs than you listed. I am a salaried
employee and my performance is not measured
by how many lines of code I write.

Quoted:
Yea thats a well thought out responce.

Ditto - do you even have a job?

Link Posted: 8/22/2004 2:27:42 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Pat

Pat

There's a problem with your logic...

Where's your "upward mobility" after sgt. (with the old law)? yeah, that's what I thought.

If you saw the ceiling move down… there are five future hires that saw it move up. They have a job now.

edit: correct engrish
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 2:29:28 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Bush is hurting his own support base.
Pat

He has been for a long time now. Even die hard right wing whacos here have said so.

I would be one of those "right wing whacos" and I would like to point out that, as usual, you don't know what you are talking about.

Don't you ever get tired of being so predictable?  Don't you ever have a conservative thought?

As Mahatma8Rice so wisely pointed out, pay should be a function of productivity.  Not attendance.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 2:30:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Well Glockfan if overtime is so important to you then don't take your SGT. job. Simple as that.

Cyanide- Just give up and say that you are voting for Kerry. I know that you have a W04 sticker on your jeep. But your posts prove different.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 2:34:47 PM EDT
[#33]
I've been professional "white collar" for over 20 years, with three different major corporations, and not one of them pays overtime to professionals - only hourly. If your professional job pays so little you need overtime to get ahead, what you really need is a new employer or a different career altogether. I've worked several 60 hour weeks this year alone, never saw a dime of OT.

Link Posted: 8/22/2004 2:40:10 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Cyanide- Just give up and say that you are voting for Kerry. I know that you have posted a pic of a W04 sticker on your a jeep. But your posts prove different.

He is a paid professional DU troll that is like a bad penny. Instead of being proDU, he is anti right.

Link Posted: 8/22/2004 2:42:32 PM EDT
[#35]
Where's your "upward mobility" after sgt. (with the old law)? yeah, that's what I thought.
END QUOTE

Actually in my agency the LT is also overtime elidgable. The only one who is salary is the chief. It pays to know what your talking about. If you don't know ask. ok.  The probolem is you did not think.

Ditto - do you even have a job?
END QUOTE

If I didn't I would not be posting would I. Check my signature. I work as a narcotics investigator.  

The question is do you work for a living or do you make your money of the backs of others. ( big buisness)

I would be one of those "right wing whacos" and I would like to point out that, as usual, you don't know what you are talking about.

Don't you ever get tired of being so predictable? Don't you ever have a conservative thought?

As Mahatma8Rice so wisely pointed out, pay should be a function of productivity. Not attendance.
END QUOTE

Your one of the ones who does not know what your talking about.  Go look at the sites I posted and do some research and then come back and talk to me in an informed intelligent manner.

I personally have voted republican in every election up till now. I am not sure who to vote for? Both canidates want to scew me in equally bad ways.

As I pointed out paying people for productivity only works in some professions. Do you really want to pay cops for productivity. (We have done that in the past and it lead to corruption, planting evidence and all sorts of things I don't think we need to repeat)

It works great for sales men and other types of people who currently work on what we call commision. Being a right wing wacko is just as bad as being a limp wristed left wing commie.
Pat

Link Posted: 8/22/2004 2:42:44 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Cyanide- Just give up and say that you are voting for Kerry. I know that you have posted a pic of a W04 sticker on your a jeep. But your posts prove different.

He is a paid professional DU troll that is like a bad penny. Instead of being proDU, he is anti right.

Middle of the road, leans right on most issues
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 2:50:36 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Your one of the ones who does not know what your talking about.  

That may be true, but at least I know whom I am talking too.

My comments were addressed to my friend cyanide, not you.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 2:51:28 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Pat

I see that there is no use in having a productive conversation with you.  Shessh the economically and constitutionally inept are ramped these days.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 2:53:44 PM EDT
[#39]
If a private business doesn't want to pay you overtime, they shouldn't have to.

If you don't like it, find another job that will.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 2:55:52 PM EDT
[#40]
What's overtime???

I am salary only.

Fuck Kerry.....
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 2:58:26 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
END QUOTE

Actually in my agency the LT is also overtime elidgable. The only one who is salary is the chief. It pays to know what your talking about. If you don't know ask. ok.  The probolem is you did not think.

Ok, a "non-supervisor" lieutenant? hmmm

Law enforcement really is a separate world huh? In the real world, folks that make over 50k a year generally have to work for that money… a lot. 45-50 hour weeks are the norm rather than the exception.

I've never had a job that wasn't a salaried position and the only times I ever put in less than 50 are when I’m on vacation.

If that bugs you, don't ever aspire to anything more because eventually you will be working "unpaid overtime."
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 3:09:47 PM EDT
[#42]

Doesn't effect me at all.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 3:12:43 PM EDT
[#43]
In the late 90s I was a salaried "professional" employee. That meant my employer kept piling the work on, forcing me to work longer, all the while promising a better salary or bonuses. Neither happened, so I asked for a change in the terms of my employment: I wanted to be paid for every hour that I worked, and I even said that overtime didn't need to be a part of it. My boss declined, so I left the company.

I've been self-employed for just over five years now and it's been a wonderful experience.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 3:16:45 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Middle of the road, leans right on most issues

IOW....

Your hero....

Link Posted: 8/22/2004 3:19:14 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
What's overtime???

I am salary only.

Fuck Kerry.....

+1
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 3:23:39 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 3:25:10 PM EDT
[#47]
I don't want to work overtime, I'd prefer to hang with the family
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 3:29:06 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 3:30:36 PM EDT
[#49]
Anothergene,

I have always worked where I have chosen to work.....and so have you.  Everyone makes choices.  If you worked at the place like that, why did you stay?  If you were worth so much more than what you were being paid, why didn't you change jobs?  

I don't understand the incredible immaturity of people who bitch about their place of employment.  Shut up and do your job or quit and go somewhere else.

That, or you have been singled out for mistreatment.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 3:34:55 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:
What's overtime???

I am salary only.

Fuck Kerry.....

+1

+2 with one addition.  Fuck 'em both.  Where's Pat Buchanan when we need him?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top