Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/22/2004 12:44:23 PM EDT
When I bought my house 3 years ago my lawn was by far the worst in the neighborhood.   Have had TruGreen coming out for the past two years and it is fairly respectable now.

They have offered aeration in the past, but I declined...I have heard mixed opinions in the past.

So, is it worth doing, or more of a scam?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 12:49:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes, but you can do it yourself. As far as the benefits, it helps to get air (hence the term aeration) and water to the roots. It will make the lawn healthy. I do mine twice a year.

Personal/home aeration tools are pretty cheap. I have a neighbor who owns a landscape company. I drive my riding mower over to his house and hook up and tow his big drum aerator over every spring. I use my $40 tow behind from Lowe's in the fall. It doesn't penetrate as deeply (save the comments! hehehe) but it does the trick.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 1:11:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Hey, if its good enough for the golf course, its good enough for your house!
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 1:29:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Just aerated mine 3 weeks ago, the machine is about 12.00 hr. 2 hr. min.  Money well spent, you get a work out too, the machine is frekin heavy !
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 4:27:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Ideally you should do it spring and fall.................................You may be able to rent a machine and do it yourself but I would highly reccomend doing it this fall and following it up with a healthy re-seeding and nutrient application. Also while you're at it have your soil tested and see whats going on with the ph  and basic soil chemistry.   If you have any specific question feel free to e mail me....................It's what I do for a living as a golf course superintendent here on LI..............................................
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 4:29:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 4:38:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Spiked Golf shoes.

Every time you cut the lawn wearing them  you'll aerate it.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 4:47:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 5:17:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Don't do it.  Cover the yard with 1" of white masonry sand.  Keep it watered; do not fertilize it.  Next year you will have the most beautiful yard on the block.  Water and sunlight only.
I did this 8 years ago and my neighbors can't stand it.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 5:25:04 PM EDT
[#9]

"This old house"    did a show on it...   I am a believer now.  
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 6:20:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Some friends were discussing fertilizing/aeration/etc., and asked me if I do all that to my lawn. I told them flat out NO!!!!!

If you do all that stuff it'll grow, leading to even more work. I just tell the dude "Cut it real short, so maybe the sun will burn it up and kill it".
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 6:23:58 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Some friends were discussing fertilizing/aeration/etc., and asked me if I do all that to my lawn. I told them flat out NO!!!!!

If you do all that stuff it'll grow, leading to even more work. I just tell the dude "Cut it real short, so maybe the sun will burn it up and kill it".

Amen preach it, I have 6 acres to mow
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top