Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/22/2004 12:09:24 PM EDT

Rape victim marries jailed attacker to avoid Muslim shun

SHAIKH AZIZUR RAHMAN IN CALCUTTA

THE dusty Berhampur Central jail, 120 miles north of Calcutta, provided the setting for a bizarre wedding last week between a rapist and his victim.

The victim faced a life as an outcast, ostracised and stigmatised by Indian society for being on the receiving end of a violent sexual crime.

But if her assailant married her, the shame would be lifted in the eyes of the local Muslim community.

On the order of the court in Berhampur, Ahammad Shaikh, 30, tied the knot with Sabina Khatoon, 18, inside the local prison where he is serving his sentence.

Shaikh kidnapped Khatoon - the daughter of a daily wage labourer - from her village and raped her in a nearby forest in March this year.

After her father complained of the rape to the police in June, Shaikh was arrested. In the court he admitted having raped the teenager and was sent to prison for the deed.

Shaikh’s lawyers failed to bail him out and he expected to be handed at least a seven-year sentence within a few months.

Then, with permission from the court, an activist carrying out work among rural women, approached Shaikh inside the jail and informed him of the woman’s miseries after being ‘tainted’ by his rape.

The women’s rights activist suggested that Shaikh marry Khatoon. Shaikh said that he needed time to respond to the overture.

The court also said that if Shaikh came forward to marry Khatoon, it could consider his case with sympathy and a possible release.

Shaikh’s lawyers and Khatoon’s parents then petitioned the court that the defendant was willing to marry Khatoon, and they sought his release from the jail for the purpose of the marriage.

The court observed that it could never release Shaikh until he married his victim. However, it ordered that the two could get married inside the prison if they wanted.

As bride, Khatoon turned up in the jail with her relatives. In the presence of Shaikh’s relatives, the jailhouse wedding took place according to the Muslim rites, followed by a registration.

The jail officials and about 60 remand prisoners took part in the marriage celebrations, which included a feast.

"I took advantage of her weakness and assaulted her while she was alone. What I did was wrong," the apparently repentant Shaikh said at the end of the ceremony.

"Now I am happy to get a chance to make amends for the crime I have committed."

Khatoon, who looked very happy after the marriage, said: "For that act [of rape] I hated him. Sometimes I felt like I wanted to tear him to pieces.

"But I have a different feeling for him now. I have forgiven him because he has chosen me as his wife. I have to love him now."

After the marriage Khatoon went to stay with her in-laws, while Shaikh is likely to be released on bail within one or two weeks when his lawyers produce the marriage certificate to satisfy the judge.

In recent weeks, at the order of the courts, at least three such marriages between rapists and their victims have taken place inside jails in eastern India.

In all the cases concerned, judges ordered the release of the rapist prisoners when the marriage certificates were produced in the court.

A public prosecutor in connection with one case said: "Our job is to oppose the bail of a criminal. But in such a case we are happy to support the bail, as the man, in an act of repentance, pledges to take care of the woman as a permanent measure by marrying her."

Link Posted: 8/22/2004 12:17:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 12:19:22 PM EDT
[#2]
!!!
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 12:28:46 PM EDT
[#3]
of course they have less sex crimes. because it's not considered rape, the muslims call it courting.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 12:30:51 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
of course they have less sex crimes. because it's not considered rape, the rednecks hillbillies call it courting.

Fixed it for you.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 12:31:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 7:23:08 PM EDT
[#6]
They have plenty of sex crimes.  Try riding a public bus there if you are a young unaccompanied woman.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 7:24:31 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
of course they have less sex crimes. because it's not considered rape, the rednecks hillbillies call it courting.

Fixed it for you.

Link Posted: 8/22/2004 7:26:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Some folks just need killin.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 7:32:29 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
India is a Hindu country (+80%). Bitch and moan about Islam all you want but they have FAR FAR FAR less sex crimes then we do here in the United States - by a factor of a thousand to one I would hazard a guess at.

India: Hindu 81.3%, Muslim 12%, Christian 2.3%, Sikh 1.9%

They don't have the sex laws we have either, man/boy love is common and disgusting.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 7:54:21 PM EDT
[#10]
You do have to question the stats coming out of a country with minimal legal infrastructure, so to speak, as well as different ideas of sexual assault.

Coming from a college campus perspective, if someone is intoxicated they cannot legally consent, making any sexual act a sexual assault.

It all depends on what rule book you're playing by.

- BUCC_Guy
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 8:07:09 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
India is a Hindu country (+80%). Bitch and moan about Islam all you want but they have FAR FAR FAR less sex crimes then we do here in the United States - by a factor of a thousand to one I would hazard a guess at.

India: Hindu 81.3%, Muslim 12%, Christian 2.3%, Sikh 1.9%

1. The people, and the ignorant savage customs involved are Muslim.

2. Please, please tell me you are neither vouching for nor taken in by crime statistics from countries in which the victim of a sex crime is ostracized if she reports it.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 9:01:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 9:35:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Well they should have some lovely children.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 9:53:26 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
India is a Hindu country (+80%). Bitch and moan about Islam all you want but they have FAR FAR FAR less REPORTEDsex crimes then we do here in the United States - by a factor of a thousand to one I would hazard a guess at.

There.  Fixed it for you.  Because, as it was, your post was total bullshit, moderator or not.

If a woman gets raped in a Muslim country and accuses her rapist, here is the scenario she faces:

- if the rapist uses the old stand-bye, "it was consensual sex", then the woman or girl is an adulteress and will be stoned to death or hung, while the man *might* get lashes.

- even if the law sees the woman or girl as the victim, the family will not.  Can you say "honor killing?".  Thought so.  

- at BEST, she will face total ostracism in her community and by her family, that is, if one of her brothers decides not to kill her, or the rapist's family decides not to kill her, or the state decides not to kill her.

So, color me unimpressed if the number of sexual assault cases is dramatically under-reported in the Muslim utopias.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top